Is it possible to use the same light head for DRL and strobe?

JustJake

Mar 12, 2019
VA
I guess the real question is does a controller exist that can do this?
Take something like a amber Feniex T3 mounted to the running board.

One switch will turn on the light with lowered power (resistor maybe?) and solid (no flash).
A second switch would override the first and provide a selected flash pattern at full brightness.

Is this feasible? I know this could be done with the Feniex cannon since it has the option for multiple selections. But is there a controller that can offer the same functionality?

For this feniex controller
flasher_1.jpg

Could you wire output 1 and 2 to the same light head? Add a resistor inline from Output 1 to the lighthead for the lowered brightness?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Maybe. Feniex lights are known for not playing nice with external flashers. A slow flash pattern might be ok. The other issue is how the T3 head will respond to a series resistor (especially over a range of operating voltage): will it dim gracefully, flicker, or otherwise act weird? Generally, current limiting isn’t considered the best way to dim LEDs; most factory applications use PWM.

If you want to try it, add isolation diodes in the output lines.

Reactions: JustJake

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
So this is definitely possible. Using diodes and resistors but you're going to have an issue using T3 as they have a 5-second automatic time out for steady burn to keep them from overheating. I'm willing to bet this will also be the case even with resistors in line.
I have used Feniex dummy T6s as running lights and run them with resistors and a flasher for years now without any side effects.
That being said your 100% easiest and best way to do this is with dummy heads from feniex or just any whelen head as they work very well with resistors and external flashers.
I have an F-150 that I built that has Whelen 500s in the rear as running lights strobes and brake lights, 2 Lin3s around the running boards as running lights and strobes and some ions in the grill as running lights and strobes

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
Why not just buy better lights like whelen Ions dou that has mode 1 color one, mode 2 color two, mode 3 color 1&2 ,each mode can have a seperate pattern and function pattern #69 is steady burn, long press momentary (to 12 +) button goes backwards one pattern , short press goes forward one pattern they are set on signal alert 75 when shipped ,so the long press will allow you to get to steady burn easy . Just have a switch for that mode & switch set for low power trigger (12+). It sounds like your trying to reinvent the wheel with T3.when that kind of functionality is built into higher quality lights , no I have nothing against Feneix or budget builds ,but your looking for premium features from budget lights , it's going to be a sacrifice somewhere . I highly suggest you read the install sheet for Ion dous and see what the thing can do out of the box with only it's internal flasher needed ,power and ground and then each color has its own control wire.you can more with a pair of Ions then you do with bumper full of T3 (on a personal note the T3 and the Mini 4200 have one pattern that is friggin awesome ,and it piss's me off its trapped in such low power devices , i would swap out my Smart logic if i could get that pattern on all my lights!

Skippy

Jul 3, 2010
Florida, USA
...(on a personal note the T3 and the Mini 4200 have one pattern that is friggin awesome ,and it piss's me off its trapped in such low power devices , i would swap out my Smart logic if i could get that pattern on all my lights!
ok you've peaked my curiosity, which one?

JustJake

Mar 12, 2019
VA
Why not just buy better lights like whelen Ions dou that has mode 1 color one, mode 2 color two, mode 3 color 1&2 ,each mode can have a seperate pattern and function pattern #69 is steady burn, long press momentary (to 12 +) button goes backwards one pattern , short press goes forward one pattern they are set on signal alert 75 when shipped ,so the long press will allow you to get to steady burn easy . Just have a switch for that mode & switch set for low power trigger (12+). It sounds like your trying to reinvent the wheel with T3.when that kind of functionality is built into higher quality lights , no I have nothing against Feneix or budget builds ,but your looking for premium features from budget lights , it's going to be a sacrifice somewhere . I highly suggest you read the install sheet for Ion dous and see what the thing can do out of the box with only it's internal flasher needed ,power and ground and then each color has its own control wire.you can more with a pair of Ions then you do with bumper full of T3 (on a personal note the T3 and the Mini 4200 have one pattern that is friggin awesome ,and it piss's me off its trapped in such low power devices , i would swap out my Smart logic if i could get that pattern on all my lights!

So T3s are not a good light for this application. I do want this size form factor though.

I am defiantly not sold on any one light or brand. Feniex has the best website so its what I picked up on first.

As far as the Whelen Ion Duos, I am not interested in cycling through flash patterns with an in cabin switch.

For my application, Mode 1 (low power running lights) will be activated automatically when the vehicles stock DRL are turned on.
All I want is a switch to activate a Mode 2 that supersedes Mode 1 and is a quality flash pattern.

Sorry for the confusion. I am new to this terminology. I appreacate the input.

JustJake

Mar 12, 2019
VA
So this is definitely possible. Using diodes and resistors but you're going to have an issue using T3 as they have a 5-second automatic time out for steady burn to keep them from overheating. I'm willing to bet this will also be the case even with resistors in line.
I have used Feniex dummy T6s as running lights and run them with resistors and a flasher for years now without any side effects.
That being said your 100% easiest and best way to do this is with dummy heads from feniex or just any whelen head as they work very well with resistors and external flashers.
I have an F-150 that I built that has Whelen 500s in the rear as running lights strobes and brake lights, 2 Lin3s around the running boards as running lights and strobes and some ions in the grill as running lights and strobes
Do you have any light recommendations that are a similar size to the T3 that will act well as dummy lights?

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
That's funny I have no idea what they call it ,but its a solid flash combined with criss cross ,so it flashes four heads and then criss crosses side to side ,a buddy of mine is an upfiter and Feneix dealer ,i'll have to ask him what they call it ,its just a really flowing changeover of the pattern , i think its one of the nicest patterns i have seen, because it combines warning and motion into one pattern .Very few patterns do that ,typically it's one or the other,if I could get that in something that would support at least 75 Amps ,I would do it in a heart beat ,there's a pick up on the internet that he runs Ions up high and Mpowers down low and it's gorgeous ,he uses the flasher in the Mini , have a dual system R/W/B and then a second Amber (undercover as the water department )so I would need like 16 Minis just to flash it all,if they came out with an imbeded flasher that could flash everything in dual phase in like an upgraded 4200 DL ,I would put my money down for it now.

Reactions: Skippy

Smoked

Oct 29, 2017
Pa
You would not have to cycle thru patterns ,set the modes once when you set the lights up and they retain it unless you change it.
As for something same form factor ,the closest I can think of would be Sound Off Signal 3" Mpower fascia lights they are much thinner,so they wouldn't be "knee knockers" they are around .50" thick and instead of poly carbonate lens they have a silicone optic ,so it's more forgiving of any kind of rock hits .
Second would be a Whelen Ion T mini (it's a linear light head so it is also thinner then a T3).

All the light heads that have come out since the T3 are mostly longer because they have 6 diodes ,so they are brighter more intense lights ,until the very recent designs the SOS fascia light is not TIR ( Totaly Integrated Reflector) or Linear ,its a hybrid of the 2 ,so you can also mount it in any orientation without "losing light". Normal lights need to be mounted horizontaly ,because the lens optic spreads the output ,if you mount them Vertically you get head on warning ,but off axis to R & L you get almost none.
There is an older series of whelen lights still in production that was designed for motorcycles ,that had slightly better performance mounted vertically , but they are "relics" because the latest generation can be mounted even on angles and still be effective .
T3 is 1.05"H X 3.5"L X 1"W
Mpower 0.92"H X 3.425"L X 0.42"W
Ion T mini 1.5"H X 3.325"L X 0.5"W

Now the full size Ion is 5" so that exceeds your form Factor by alot the full size Ion T 5.14" crushing form factor . There are two other companies Federal Signal & Code 3 who I don't know there product very well ,i would say on Federal there is a version of the Micro pulse that will come close to the form factor ,I hate the Micro pulse because they require alot of programming just to get them to alternate, and I do not like there patterns ,you can to you tube Sirennet TV and see demo's and flash patterns of most lights just by searching there name .if you would like I can research the Federal & Code 3 3 & find any additional form factor candidate's.

Now also there is a channel on you tube called dead leg media (I am in another group with the guy that runs it ) if you go to it ,go into Whelen builds he used older full size Ion duo to do warning, turn signals & running lights on his truck but he breaks it down and shows how he did it , although the lights are themonster 5" it will give you a good idea of what's possible ,LEDS are like a blank canvas,you can make them do damn near anything .if you watch the video just remember ,you can do the same thing with the smaller form factor lights even easier because they are multi mode out of the box .
Let me know if you need any more info.

FusionWolf

Oct 8, 2012
Massachusetts
Do you have any light recommendations that are a similar size to the T3 that will act well as dummy lights?
Whelen tir3
Whelen lin3s
Whelen vertex
Whelen t ion mini
Feniex cannon
Soundoff mower

A fusion surface mount would work fine. And you have the 2 modes. Just put a resistor on one mode.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.