Is there a good link for over the top chief vehicles, etc?

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
I'm asked to build a vehicle for a new Chief. I just wanted to get some ideas on any new tech or videos of cars built being the center piece of a fleet. I don't just want to add a ton of lights that's easy. I was thinking about getting the Carbide system, and incorporating some functions it offers. I'm still kind of unclear of exactly the differences of the sapphire and Carbide, but will figure it out. Thanks for any tips!!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Put simply, Sapphire is a control/siren that basically turns on/off each light (depending on slide switch position and accessory buttons activated).

Carbide goes a step further by allowing more programming options (sync whole vehicle, each light can be programmed with different flash patterns for different modes/slide switch positions, connected with brakes/doors/horn/siren to perform different functions for different scenarios, universal programming for multiple vehicles, etc)

If you wanna see over the top (which we all think is tacky) look up Hatzolah POVs. It’d be better for you to ask for suggestions on effective lighting packages from members here instead of looking for over-the-top ideas and how to be the center of attention in the fleet (as the title of the thread suggests). Sometimes less is better than more and simple is more effective.

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
I completely agree! With that being said, the sgt. in charge of the fleet said the chief wants this to be the “center piece” of the fleet. Reasoning for the title. So it has to be one step above the regular fleet. So since you’ve mentioned effective light packages does anyone have any to mention?

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
id wrap the whole thing in high vis chevrons.. definitely stand out then.

Reactions: Tony P

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
looks like a waste of money... anybody good with soldering pcbs and hiding it behind window tint could do the same...

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
id wrap the whole thing in high vis chevrons.. definitely stand out then.

32518919176_99601c9771_b.jpg

DSC_0159.JPG

35143941530_57a495ce20_b.jpg

p1140371.jpg

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
If your looking for nice and clean than

I would look at the CanTrol as your base. Full sync of all of the vehicle. basically A central brain for the whole vehicle. Multitude of options.

Reactions: MadMike84

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I completely agree! With that being said, the sgt. in charge of the fleet said the chief wants this to be the “center piece” of the fleet. Reasoning for the title. So it has to be one step above the regular fleet. So since you’ve mentioned effective light packages does anyone have any to mention?

I’d be happy to help & suggest some lighting, but I’d need more info:

1) what type of vehicle is it?

2) what’s the ballpark budget for the project?

3) is it a marked unit or UC/covert?

One thing I can tell you for all projects is that I highly recommend AGAINST using split color and split flashing light heads. Set the light heads to flash whole as solid blue, solid red, solid amber (to the rear), etc

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
-2018 police interceptor sedan
-No budget (I can weed out what I don’t want) if I had to guess for warning light equipment I’d say no more than 1500-2000
-it will be a marked chiefs vehicle

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
-2018 police interceptor sedan
-No budget (I can weed out what I don’t want) if I had to guess for warning light equipment I’d say no more than 1500-2000
-it will be a marked chiefs vehicle

Does the chief want slicktop or lightbar on roof?

Is there a pushbar?

Does $2k (approx budget) include the siren/controller/speakers? If so, that’s a tight budget for lights/siren/controls, especially for something that’s supposed to be a centerpiece. $2k can get you an effective lighting package (exclusive of control/siren) but not something elaborate

Last edited:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Slick top, already have a push bumper, base it off of no budget

FRONT
-2 Whelen M6 forward facing on top of PB cross bar
-2 Whelen SA315P or fedsig AS124 speakers on bottom of PB cross bar
-Whelen avenger II duo/trio on dash
-Fedsig spectralux ILB or Whelen inner edge ILB duo/trio
-standard HLF

SIDE
-Whelen M4 angled on side of PB
-standard vertex in headlight
-Whelen sidekick V on fender
-Whelen V mirrorbeams
-Whelen linsv2 under mirrors
-Whelen duo side facing in side windows
-Whelen duo/trio tracer

REAR
-Whelen or Fed sig ILB trio on rear deck
-Feniex cannons in brake and reverse ligts
-Whelen T series ion trio on rear LP

Whelen CenCom sapphire or carbide (if want extra programming)

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Sweet. We had discussed tracers on the rocker panel too. This a good or bad idea?

That’s not a bad slicktop at all; the only things I’d change are the side lighting on the B-post being mounted horizontally & adding a HLF

If you have the $ and set it to a good pattern (no crazy flickering seizure patterns like most of the HG2 installs you see) then it can definitely help IMO.

However, since it’s lower level lighting and pricey, I wouldn’t use it in place of other lighting (I think that running board lighting is SECONDARY warning that supplements the primary stuff)

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
Well I definitely appreciate your time spent on this today. I’ve got some more ideas to mess around with now. I’m kinda consumed with the work in the shop right now. Nice to have a fresh brain and eyes to pick. I just recently took over this upfitting business. It was a lot easier when I just had to worry about putting everything on the car!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Headlight flasher (wigwag). It’s a very easy and effective way to garner warning by alternating the high beams

An alternative to it is to get a pair of Whelen Nano Pioneers (scene lights) and hook them up to a wigwag flasher

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Why do you choose Feniex cannons over the Whelen Vertex? Just personal preference?

The cannons are way brighter (12 diodes instead of 6 like the vertex) and have much more programming options, ie many ppl replace reverse light bulbs or fog lights with dual color cannons that steadyburn clear and then flash the other color for warning.

The only reason I said vertex in my earlier post is b/c they’re the standard that comes with most of the police interceptors ordered, but the cutout can fit any of the alternatives. I’m a Whelen guy but I think the Feniex cannons are a superior hideaway and that FedSig makes a superior interior lightbar (spectralux ILS) than Whelen.

Yes, LP = license plate. An alternative lighthead there is the Soundoff mpower fascia (a more rugged exterior). For the LP, I suggested a multicolor light b/c you can hook them up to the reverse lights so that they steadyburn clear when vehicle is in reverse

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
The carbide controls your flash patterns- all your light heads would need to be set to steady burn, then homeran back to the controller..the carbide also can intergrate into the vehicles ODBII conector and monitor point on the vehicle and control lighting patterns to dim down, slow down, speed up, it can really open up options but can be a pain labor wise. ive done a few and they are really awesome when complete

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
I have a silly question, but I don’t know the answer. What’s the benefit of having two speakers in a vehicle vs. one.

Also, is there a good site/video to learn more about wiring up a carbide system. I’d like to see what I’m getting into and do some more research before I tell these guys to buy it.

I’m trying to get some training with Whelen here pretty soon, but the shop is full right now. So it’s gonna be awhile.

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
I’ve watched all those videos already. I didn’t see those documents though! I’ll read through them. Hopefully it has something in there about the wiring for the system. I’d like to see how people are hooking up all the lighting wires. Thanks!

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I have a silly question, but I don’t know the answer. What’s the benefit of having two speakers in a vehicle vs. one.

Also, is there a good site/video to learn more about wiring up a carbide system. I’d like to see what I’m getting into and do some more research before I tell these guys to buy it.

I’m trying to get some training with Whelen here pretty soon, but the shop is full right now. So it’s gonna be awhile.

I do recommend having 2 speakers. However, although having (2) 100W speakers does make it slightly louder than a single 100W, the common misconception is that doubling the # speakers automatically doubles the decibels put out.

Also, once you go above a certain speed on highway, it basically doesn’t make much difference how many speakers you have b/c you’re basically outrunning the speaker (the vehicles in front of you are insulated, full of noise, and constantly moving fast, so they’re not gonna hear you until you’re real close to them)

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
I do recommend having 2 speakers. However, although having (2) 100W speakers does make it slightly louder than a single 100W, the common misconception is that doubling the # speakers automatically doubles the decibels put out.

Also, once you go above a certain speed on highway, it basically doesn’t make much difference how many speakers you have b/c you’re basically outrunning the speaker (the vehicles in front of you are insulated, full of noise, and constantly moving fast, so they’re not gonna hear you until you’re real close to them)

Improve your ability to be heard, avoid the current generation of compact speakers if space permits and mount a real bell and cone siren speaker, the difference cannot be understated

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
Well, I'm 99% sure we've got the green light to go ahead with this build. I'm going to try to start messing around with the carbide software a bit. Going to be a fun one. Ill keep this updated. Again thanks for all the help!

MadMike84

Dec 12, 2016
Eastern Virginia
I'm doing some research now on it, but as far as expansion modules for the carbide system, do I need an expansion module to run the two speaker setrup for dual tone? Never messed with two speakers.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.