Is this a Code 3?

JohnJB

Nov 23, 2017
California
I know it's a long shot based on a crummy photo, but can anyone help me ID this bar? The rest of the lights on this rig are Code 3 so I suspect it may be as well, but it looks like an economy version (appears to have very few light heads). Anyone have an idea of what this may be? Trying to figure out a reasonable price to offer before I commit, assuming it is fully functional.

Thanks!

Attachments

• lb2.jpg
    lb2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 31

JohnJB

Nov 23, 2017
California
Code 3 either 2100 or 21tr (looks more like a 2100 cause of the ledx and 3up optix)
Thank you! I was thinking the same two but was questioning myself because of how few light heads I can see. I was thinking it might be a knock-off. I think this rig was from a small private company so I'd understand if they went cheap. Thanks for the info!

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
Thank you! I was thinking the same two but was questioning myself because of how few light heads I can see. I was thinking it might be a knock-off. I think this rig was from a small private company so I'd understand if they went cheap. Thanks for the info!
One way to see if its a knockoff of the 2100, 21tr or even 2700 is screws are used instead of clips for the domes.

Theres also other ways too :)

Reactions: Tango7

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
I know I'm coming in way too late, but that is a 2100 now also called 21 "IF" meaning Independent Flash. Each module has 2 metal prongs protruding to the front or two metal pads where you touch a screw driver or alike tool to change flash patterns. The two smaller TRS3 lights are white takedone lights. This bar is what we call OEM, so it comes from the factory for "Original Equipment Manufactures" for ambulances, fire apparatuses etc.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I know I'm coming in way too late, but that is a 2100 now also called 21 "IF" meaning Independent Flash. Each module has 2 metal prongs protruding to the front or two metal pads where you touch a screw driver or alike tool to change flash patterns. The two smaller TRS3 lights are white takedone lights. This bar is what we call OEM, so it comes from the factory for "Original Equipment Manufactures" for ambulances, fire apparatuses etc.
The bars are generally pretty sad, even more disappointing when used in place of primary m9, m6, m7 or 900 lights. Sometimes there are several lightheads inside hooked to to the flasher of the ambulance to make up for no from primary/secondary lights.

CD3

May 25, 2010
USA, CA
John's comment above is correct but it was up to the the ambulance builder on how they wired the bar. Those bars back then had 1 cable, either a 7, 9 or 11 conductor. The LED-X heads were set to random flash that was a factory setting, the alleys were wired separately the two takedowns or "scene" lights were wired together. But instead of buying or taking on something this old, I could tell you that all the wiring inside that lightbar as soon as you touch the insulation it will fall off. To try an rebuild something that old and finding original parts can be a problem.

Reactions: Dave F

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The old code3 mx and excal bars were notorious for "crispy" wiring.
I'm sure that didn't change when they switched to led. The sun does a job
on those thin wires.
The Code 3 bars that look like the bottom half of one of their old rotator bars filled with LEDs always come with brittle and cracked wires. If you take how later MX7000 wires got and multiply that by 10 you have a good idea. These bars either had individually wired self contained LED heads, a flasher board, or both. The version with individual flashing/steady heads were popular with van ambulance companies because you could get your primary flashers and side scene lights jammed into the bar and still have other flashing lights without needing a flasher. Van ambulances are essentially disposable, and these bars last about as long as the trucks. A van ambulance owned by a private company would commonly have 300k miles, 2 engines and 5 years of service.

On a side note the "AMR Special" Whelen edge outlived the trucks, which is cool. These bars had the primary flashers (700 halogen or LED) and 4 strobes (400 or equivalent) in the bar so no front flashers were needed on the truck. Leader Coach used them a lot, but when AMR bought a van with front flashers on the box (AEV or Wheeled Coach) these bars often just sat above them and mirrored those flashers. I have a few examples in videos below, these are the Whelen bar and the bar mounted on trucks where they really were not needed.

Here are some pictures of how the bar's internal "primary lights" mirrored the ones on the box.
pri2.JPGpri1.JPG

These are pictures of why bars that include "primary" lights might be made, i.e. because of the design of the front of Leader Coach vans both old and new lack "primary lights".

3580384571_0530e3726b_b.jpg3470296004_65493c1f42_h.jpgType-II-LE-Ford-High-Roof.png

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.