Is this real?

guy m.

May 23, 2010
Honesdale, PA 18431
It sure was, my brother lived in San Diego and when I was out there in 1999 the cars still used CTS Lightbars and my brother said that he remembers them well into 2004

Last edited by a moderator:

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Oh that is awesome! I knew they used them into the 90s but I didn't know they were still used that recently.

CABARS

Dec 21, 2010
West Coast
Well built, but i don't know if well maintained. I had a San Diego CTS and gave it to fedsig7, and that thing was rusted to hell.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
San Diego PD continued to use Twinsonics well into the 21st century. I'm not sure if they still have them on front line vehicles any longer, but some of their specialty vehicles, such as SAR, bomb squad, etc. still have a few of them.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
If you go back into the media archives to the incident where the guy stole the tank and reeked havoc, you might find a video clip of a car with a CTS on the freeway in front of the the tank. I assume the officer was trying to warn traffic that it was coming. I think they might have selected that vehicle because the officers might have wanted new lights...lol

circa 1995

fireman13

Dec 21, 2010
ny
CABARS said:
What I like is that white Blazer with the red spotlight.

we have a 1970 american lafrance that has a red spotlight. it actually flashes when the switch is in one position

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
My brother in law (SDPD) told me they would part out broken cts bars to make others work..,.he thinks the last one was out of front line around 02 03 ish

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I've seen some pics of a fleet of late 90s - early 2000s cars with PA15A sirens in them. I can't remember which police force it was, but it was in the US somewhere.

bfd740

Jul 4, 2010
Babylon, NY
Wailer said:
I've seen some pics of a fleet of late 90s - early 2000s cars with PA15A sirens in them. I can't remember which police force it was, but it was in the US somewhere.

My dept has a '93 F-350 that used to be our beach truck. It has a diamond plate front bumper with a pump on it, a street hawk with the siren speaker area in the middle, and a PA15. Oh, and the bed has wood. It's a funny mix of old-school stuff. The original truck like that was a '74 International pickup. In '92 it was t-boned so they frankensteined the Ford as a quick fix and recycled the siren and pump.

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
03crownvic said:
San Diego PD continued to use Twinsonics well into the 21st century. I'm not sure if they still have them on front line vehicles any longer, but some of their specialty vehicles, such as SAR, bomb squad, etc. still have a few of them.
I had a recent tour (last year july) of a SDPD station, they still had some CTS 's in service on thier motor pool cars. The newsest pool car I saw was a 2003 2003 Ford Crown Victoria. What amazed me too was there was actually a 1993 a Crown Victoria there too with 70k miles on it. The officer giving us the tour actually commented to me that alot the officers really liked and were happy with the old CTS and its traffic clearing capabilities! (Could be why they kept them so long) I have pictures of the lot somewhere. Ill try and dig them up and post them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.