Jet Series Dome restoration and Paint question

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So thanks to @empire5150 for getting me this as a source dome.

It started as this..
Optimized-output(1).jpg

With some soapy water and a magic eraser got me to this.. Just an FYI magic eraser takes off the leftover rubber gasket residue that dry rots to domes.. see the bottom of the picture above.
Optimized-20200514_214510.jpg

and after several rounds of wetsanding.. starting with 600,800,1200,1500,2000 and some Auto Rubbing Compound.
Optimized-20200517_193625.jpg

I still need to hit it with some PlastX and when all said and dome some Wax, but that will probably be after I paint it.

So with that said.. Painting this dome.
What are you guys using? I was told Black Satin paint.. I'm thinking whatever I can buy from local Hardware store that is cheapest.

Fun part is I have another to do once this is done.

Reactions: StEaLtH2
Jun 18, 2013
PA
painting it how?

I tint the tops of my domes, when I do I use VHT night shades spray on tint

The black topper on vintage jet domes.

as seen below..

$_1.JPG

my plan would be to mask off the areas to not be painted.. and then rattlecan the top sections.

Reactions: Dave F

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Any black top jet domes I've comes across always had a flat/satin look. Buuuut, the domes I've ever encountered weren't exactly new. Could have been spec, could have been sun damage.

You could try spray plasti dip as a tester. If it doesn't look correct just peel it off.

Feb 16, 2013
Idaho
I repainted the top portions of a set of clear Jetsonic domes recently. I wet sanded the old black paint, to get the rough parts smooth. Much of the original paint remained. I masked off the clear portions I didn’t want painted and used a satin black rattle can paint. I was happy with the finish. The satin seemed to match the finish on the speaker housing closer than gloss or flat black would have.

Reactions: stansdds

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.