Jetsonic age

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
I found a Jetsonic for sale locally for 200.00. it looks in decent shape, says it has the usual, allies, TDs, rer flashers 4 rotators. This one has the individual motorized rotators, not the chain or gear drive. Would this be like the latest version of a jetsonic? And would you pay 200? It's nice shape, but not show room...the wiring is obviously not original.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-185535.png
    Screenshot_20221104-185535.png
    307.5 KB · Views: 27
May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Someone is addicted, lol. IMO i is not the best deal but I have seen worse. I know the price varries across the country and amber is harder to find (not impossible though).

For some reason the yellow does not look rite to me, could just be the photo though. Around me, One would have a tough time getting $100 for that. If it has feet, no cracks and runs good (no wobbly rotators), I feel $150 would be on the high end of reasonable.

I have a bunch of parts for these if you ever find yourself in need.

Reactions: Eric2.0

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The independently driven rotating assembly Jetsonic was introduced probably around 1987. To find the exact date of yours, examine the motors, you should find a decal on them that will have the motor's date of manufacture. Motor date and bar build date are usually pretty close together.

Reactions: NVFD612 and Eric2.0

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Someone is addicted, lol. IMO i is not the best deal but I have seen worse. I know the price varries across the country and amber is harder to find (not impossible though).

For some reason the yellow does not look rite to me, could just be the photo though. Around me, One would have a tough time getting $100 for that. If it has feet, no cracks and runs good (no wobbly rotators), I feel $150 would be on the high end of reasonable.

I have a bunch of parts for these if you ever find yourself in need.
I'm addiicted for sure. So addicted I am currently changing career path to one that I could use my little hobby for real and make money. My first bar was a JetStrobe I got off of marketplace and I've been searching since. My current jackpot was getting an AreoDynic, an lP 6000 force 4, main ladder truck bar and an MX7000 from a local F.D that gave me them for free. Since then it has increased my search for old bars that need to be saved, lol. My mom said to me that I used to stare endlessly at the emergency lights on my toy hess trucks way back....always been obsessed with cop cars, wanted to be a cop, but just don't have the right stuff for that kind of work.

That Jetsonic has the slide in insert filters and I think it reflected off the camera flash or something. I said the same...that something looks odd about it. So yes I'd have to look at it well for 200 and make an offer of 130 see what happens. Like to shine a light inside it to see if wiring is original from the block to the lights. I know the main harness is not original from looking at the pictures. I've been wanting a jetsonic, they don't come up to often...so I thought I'd give this one a chance, but cobbed up wiring, cracks, missing mirrors and parts ..I'll probably pass or low ball for like 75 bucks, lol

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
The independently driven rotating assembly Jetsonic was introduced probably around 1987. To find the exact date of yours, examine the motors, you should find a decal on them that will have the motor's date of manufacture. Motor date and bar build date are usually pretty close together.
I will take a look, thanks, this helps. I'm just hoping inside the bar has original wiring...the main harness is not, that is in the outside. I try to offer 150 if I really like it.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
He said he's not really set on 200 and is in a offer state. I told him if he just wants to get it gone, I'll pay 75 and not look at it hard. For 120 I'd have to look at it good and I can't do more than 120.

He says the rear of the speaker housing has some patch work from the previous municipal that ran it and one of the name tags is missing.

So I put in my offer and waiting to see what happens

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Definitely not worth $2
He said he's not really set on 200 and is in a offer state. I told him if he just wants to get it gone, I'll pay 75 and not look at it hard. For 120 I'd have to look at it good and I can't do more than 120.

He says the rear of the speaker housing has some patch work from the previous municipal that ran it and one of the name tags is missing.

Definitely not worth $200!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Stick to your offer, if the bar is factory inside it is a fine price. Avoiding shipping is a nice plus. The independent rotator bats were so much worse than the chain drive, it was a huge step backwards. That said, they are still cool for your collection, they are an iconic bar in any form. I actually like the idea that they made it worse modernizing it. Sometimes it is fun to collect designs that didn't work out or represent a change for the worse.

Stick to your offer, that's a fine collection addition fir under $150 and no shipping.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota

As of now I have a Spare rear speaker cover (and speaker housing)!

Very reasonable offer.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Stick to your offer, if the bar is factory inside it is a fine price. Avoiding shipping is a nice plus. The independent rotator bats were so much worse than the chain drive, it was a huge step backwards. That said, they are still cool for your collection, they are an iconic bar in any form. I actually like the idea that they made it worse modernizing it. Sometimes it is fun to collect designs that didn't work out or represent a change for the worse.

Stick to your offer, that's a fine collection addition fir under $150 and no shipping.
It's local so no shipping. I offered 150 and seeing what happens. He didn't reply to my 75- 120 offer. I figure it will need work, but I enjoy tinkering and getting these things back working. I'm thinking about doing a real nice restore on this if possible. Putting in correct wiring harness, fixing anything broke, polish the mirrors, things like that. I'm really digging that speaker housing, always have.

As of now I have a Spare rear speaker cover (and speaker housing)!

Very reasonable offer.
We may be in business soon, thanks

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Well he says the PA is missing in the housing and it looks like they removed it. The picture shows that they fashioned another end of the housing probably from breaking it getting the speaker out. With that missing, cobbed up housing, incorrect wire harness, missing name plate and who knows what else I told him I can't go over 75. I haven't heard back, so I guess this one isnt for the collection. I'll keep waiting.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
It is very typical to not have a speaker in them (it's just a speaker in the housing, nothing to run it). I would not consider the wiring a dealbreaker as they are very basic and easy to work on if you have the basic skills and tools. The big thing for me with these is non cracked domes, decent running rotators (they can make some noise), feet, covers for speaker housing and the dome bolts are not seized or broken. The yellow filters are worth something too if they are factory.

Reactions: JohnMarcson

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
It is very typical to not have a speaker in them (it's just a speaker in the housing, nothing to run it). I would not consider the wiring a dealbreaker as they are very basic and easy to work on if you have the basic skills and tools. The big thing for me with these is non cracked domes, decent running rotators (they can make some noise), feet, covers for speaker housing and the dome bolts are not seized or broken. The yellow filters are worth something too if they are factory.
Today I purchased some beloved traffic signals that I've always wanted to make into yard lights. After picking them up At recieved a text from the seller of the Jetsonic. He accepted my 110 dollar offer, so I went and picked that up also. I tellya, my Corolla was filled to the roof with lights today.

I made some videos of my new Jetsonic and I am fairly excited about it, it is a nice looking bar and I love that speaker housing. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. It is rough shape, but it does function 100% I'll let the videos do the rest and excuse my slurred and stutter in my voice. I have issues that prevent me from always getting my words straight and I tend to slur my speach and sound drunk.

First video is an overview of my Jetsonic and condition....I feel 110 is too much for this bar, but I am glad I didn't pay 200. Also it does work and could be really fixed well some day.

SEC nd video is daytime running and third video is running at dusk. It is a truly beautiful light to watch ..I could watch it all night! Enjoy!

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
So the insides look nice. Not seeing anything wrong with the wiring. The flasher just uses double sided tape to hold down. The crack sucks but shouldn't effect the structure of the dome. Only needs a speaker if you are hooking something up to it. I have the speakersdomes and rear cover for that center housing if ya need. I'd say roughly average price. Ya didn't get a great deal on it but didn't get ripped off either from browsing the 1st video. I would probably work on getting or making a rear cover and not worry about the rest.

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
@Eric2.0
I also love traffic lights and traffic signs along with warning lights.
I scored a 40” cast white metal light that was retrofitted with LEDs ☹️ I would have loved the glass lens with halogen bulb. Also snagged an old school halogen pedestrian cross light. I say old school because it has the words written “don’t walk” in yellow glass and “walk” beneath that in white glass lens. This came with the incandescent bulbs and reflectors.
Big electrical contractor was retrofitting an adjacent towns lights with all new lights and were scrapping the old ones. After a few phone calls, the 40 yard dumpster that was loaded with lights and signs was “open for the taking”. A lot were damaged by them throwing them in the dumpster but a few were still solid.

You may be aware, there are several websites that make sequencers for them for people like you and I. Very easy to wire up, and everything is 110v!

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
@Eric2.0
I also love traffic lights and traffic signs along with warning lights.
I scored a 40” cast white metal light that was retrofitted with LEDs ☹️ I would have loved the glass lens with halogen bulb. Also snagged an old school halogen pedestrian cross light. I say old school because it has the words written “don’t walk” in yellow glass and “walk” beneath that in white glass lens. This came with the incandescent bulbs and reflectors.
Big electrical contractor was retrofitting an adjacent towns lights with all new lights and were scrapping the old ones. After a few phone calls, the 40 yard dumpster that was loaded with lights and signs was “open for the taking”. A lot were damaged by them throwing them in the dumpster but a few were still solid.

You may be aware, there are several websites that make sequencers for them for people like you and I. Very easy to wire up, and everything is 110v!
I was hoping mine would of been metal, Crouse hinds lights, but the good thing, is, the plastic is lite weight and I can lift it. Also I'd rather have the 30 inch versions, not the 42, because they are huge. One is a 5 light, red/yellow/green/yellow arrow/green arrow, setup and that thing is a monster. Currently trying to figure out how to wire these for household 110 v and using a controller to make it flash like on the street. The brand of mine is, Mcain traffic supply.

Yes, I to saved a few lights from a dumpster. My MX7000, AreoDynic and an LP6000 force4. That they were going to throw out. In the dumpster I found two edge 9000 and an Excalibur totally busted from being thrown in. Makes me sick, but I was happy to get the ones I do have. The fire department just let me have them for free.

Reactions: firebuff17

firebuff17

Mar 28, 2011
CT
All of the ones I have seen have been straight 110 to each bulb. There will be a terminal strip behind one of the lights. All the commons from each light goes to one terminal. Then each light would have its own terminal. Then the other side of the terminal is where the service wire would get junctioned.
Here is one site that have sequencers for easy wiring and flashing for the yard. I have one of these for mine.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
All of the ones I have seen have been straight 110 to each bulb. There will be a terminal strip behind one of the lights. All the commons from each light goes to one terminal. Then each light would have its own terminal. Then the other side of the terminal is where the service wire would get junctioned.
Here is one site that have sequencers for easy wiring and flashing for the yard. I have one of these for mine.
Thanks....that is cool and I may be getting them up and running soon. I'm going to do a nice soap and water wash on them and sand down any rusty stuff. Thanks again

Reactions: firebuff17

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
O found out the domes and Amber filters from my jetstrobe totally fit my Jetsonic. It's a Chicago police jetstrobe with the chrome metal cover and tag holder in the middle. Not sure if I want to year down the jetstrobe for the parts o can use on the Jetsonic, but I like that Jetsonic a lot. I'm planning to do my first restoration on that Jetsonic and even adding my own touches like...painting the center speaker a nice color and/or graphic on it, plus possible adding a different light to it....perhaps a couple fast rotators and such. I'll come up with a plan and start collecting the parts I want. I did come across some all amber domes for a jetsonic for 149.00.... I kinda like the clears tho. Decisions decisions.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
The domes are the same for those types of bars (jetsonic, jetstream, jetstrobe, jetsolaris, jet(cuda), tomar 925 and probably a couple more I am forgetting)

Reactions: stansdds

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
The domes are the same for those types of bars (jetsonic, jetstream, jetstrobe, jetsolaris, jet(cuda), tomar 925 and probably a couple more I am forgetting)
Yepp, I'm going to start tearing down the jetstrobe, even though it's better shape than the letsonic, but I don't want to spend a ton on domes and wiring for the Jetsonic. Plan so far is using the domes and wire harness from the jetstrobe for the Jetsonic. Also the Amber filters and whites. Also i want to see if I can try to fit a power pack from the jetstrobe into the speaker housing on the Jetsonic, lol I know, but it would be neat to have a couple of strobes in there some place. I'm going to fire up the old jetstrobe one last time and make a video before I send it to light heaven haha.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
Your choice but Jet strobe bars are harder to find then the halogen bars. I have domes and parts if ya need but do understand the added costs.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Also, would love to see a couple of photos of your strobe bar.
I'll get a video on it up on here within this week. For now, this is my back room where I have my collection going on...it's a mess, but I have no room for these. That is the next thing to figure out.

Attachments

• IMG_20221110_181213182.jpg
    IMG_20221110_181213182.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20221110_181138342.jpg
    IMG_20221110_181138342.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 16

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Here is my jetstrobe. It works and is a Chicago P.D. version I was told, cause of the metal center and tag holder it is suppose to be blue lens, but someone put in Amber. I have a box of nos red and clear lenses plus the amber inserts.

I'll do a video on this later.these pictures suck, but I'm tired and want to get to sleep lol

Attachments

• IMG_20221112_224515692.jpg
    IMG_20221112_224515692.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221112_223127779.jpg
    IMG_20221112_223127779.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20221112_224615723.jpg
    IMG_20221112_224615723.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 17

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
There is a point when the Jetstrobe got fluted (Fresnel) lens inserts. They fit but they are wrong for the Jetsonic and the rotators look bad behind them. Early Jetstrobes uses non-fluted jetsonic filters, later ones changed to the strobe specific ones. They fit but aren't right. I have a pile of mostly blue filters I am selling cheap if you want to be accurate.

Eric2.0

Jan 22, 2020
East Coast
Your choice but Jet strobe bars are harder to find then the halogen bars. I have domes and parts if ya need but do understand the added costs.
What are the condition and colors of the domes? Also I need the back part of the siren housing for the Jetsonic. Do you have any jet specific wiring harnesses? I'd like to make my Jetsonic as complete as possible. Amber filters would be nice, but as you said...harder to find.

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
What are the condition and colors of the domes? Also I need the back part of the siren housing for the Jetsonic. Do you have any jet specific wiring harnesses? I'd like to make my Jetsonic as complete as possible. Amber filters would be nice, but as you said...harder to find.
Clear domes in varying condition from well weathered to good ($40-$100 each).
I can clean any of them up too but that would add to the cost.

No amber lenses available. I have some wiring from a Jersonic but the lengths will likely be different then the independent rotator version.

Pm me if interested in the rear cover or anything else.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.