Site News John Dorgan Memorial Thread

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
John Francis Dorgan, husband of Helen Dorgan, passed away at the age of 74 on Sunday, May 13th, 2012 at the Veterans’ Hospital. He was born in Dorchester, MA on March 5th, 1938, son of the late John and Delima Dorgan. He graduated from Cathedral high school in Boston, MA. He then went on to join the United States Air Force and served for 22 years. He was a lifetime member of the VFW. For the last twenty years he has been restoring antique lights, sirens and beacons for customers worldwide. He is survived by his beloved wife of 56 years, Helen Dorgan. He is also survived by his sister, Alma O’Rourke; and his five children, Helyn, Mary-Ellen (Bill), John (Lisa), Jim, and Joe (Pat). His seven grandchildren, Rusty, Katie, Becky, Jessica, Maegan, Candace, and Hannah, as well as his twelve great grandchildren and many nieces and nephews, also survive him. Services will be held on Saturday, May 19th at 2pm at East Lawn Mortuary on 5801 East Grant Road. Any donations can be made to the American Lung Association at 2819 East Broadway Boulevard, Tucson, AZ, 85716.

John was a figure of this site from the beginning and his quality restorations set the standard for for this industry. When John passed a piece of this community also died.

Please use this thread to post memories, pictures and other content related to John Dorgan and his legacy of high quality light and siren restorations. Pictures of his work and stories about his time in the industry and on the board are welcome.

Beacons Sold
Sirens Sold
John's Collection
John's Archive

Attachments

• johnatbench.jpg
    johnatbench.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 9
  • john-dorgan-tucson-az-obituary.jpg
    john-dorgan-tucson-az-obituary.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 9
  • john-dorgan-tucson-az-photos11.jpg
    john-dorgan-tucson-az-photos11.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 4
  • john-dorgan-tucson-az-photos7.jpg
    john-dorgan-tucson-az-photos7.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 6
  • john-dorgan-tucson-az-photos19.jpg
    john-dorgan-tucson-az-photos19.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 6
  • john-dorgan-tucson-az-photos22.jpg
    john-dorgan-tucson-az-photos22.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I had the pleasure of “meeting“ John “Sirenman” Dorgan in the mid 90s when we still lived in Richmond, VA. I purchased a FS 174 with a red glass dome (identical to the one I used as a volunteer firefighter in KY, which started my collection. We had just moved into a neighborhood in Western Henrico Co. and the previous owners did not participate In Halloween. So I set the 174 in my garage window and connected it to a battery…the new owners were open for business!

Fast forward about 10 years and my collection was growing...and we moved to Oklahoma to my wife’s family farm. I came across a Federal 78 siren (dual tone with a PropelloRay) that was on the 1950 tanker truck of my first VFD. It needed a lot of tlc so I called John and he got started on it. It was returned to me in better than new condition. (When he shipped it back, he shipped the PropelloRay separately to avoid shipping damage.)

In our conversation, I reminded him of my first purchase and that got into the 174s. The county PD in Louisville used 174s with blue glass domes. That led us down a rabbit hole about Honolulu’s special 174s…the 174H. That was his holy grail. RIP John. You are still sorely missed.
F18E6560-9B17-447B-BADD-5EEDEE67E0AD.jpeg
169FB3E8-FEDD-4E02-8F15-713D86247ADD.jpeg
EB4E5CDD-0D2E-471E-BAF5-0DE5E40DCF9D.jpeg With the “beacon” that was on the tanker…donated by KY State Police.

Last edited:
Reactions: lotsofbars

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.