Julian A. McDermott Circle Beam

NESQ115

The lights do alternate - once you hook them up to an alternating flasher. There should be two wires that come out of the bottom. They are are both positive, and should be attached to the two output terminals of an alternating flasher.

By the way, the orange paint in vintage condition suggests it may be ex-Nassau County (NY) PD.

jph2

Nice find and thanks for the vid. It will be doubly cool once you fix the wiring to alternate the lights. Kinda cool to find it's ex- Nassau County in my opinion. You never disappoint with your posts, Tony. :)

OP
OP
tsquale

tsquale

Site Minion
Platinum Supporter
@NESQ115 I would agree that it is likely Nassau County, looking more closely at it. Thank you for the info on the flasher. I will have to rewire it when I find the free time. I haven't decided yet if I want to strip the paint down and repaint it, or leave it aged as is. It displays pretty cool as is

coop359

Hi. I just found this CircleLight in VA. It is in good shape besides missing 2 sealed beams. The two lights in the light are GE4509 100 watt aircraft lights. What bulbs are suppose to be used. Are they all the same? What would be the best way to clean up the metal? Lens has no cracks. Not sure the top nut is correct? Maybe an acorn nut?

Attachments

OP
OP
tsquale

tsquale

Site Minion
Platinum Supporter
Great find! If I remember correctly, the opposite bulbs are smaller, but I'll double check on that.

coop359

Thanks. Are they PAR46s? A fog light bulb based on the prisms. I’m pulling the 100 watt aircraft lights. Would probably melt the lens.

OP
OP
tsquale

tsquale

Site Minion
Platinum Supporter
They appear to be PAR36s, as they are quite small compared to the others. I only had a brief moment to look at them in between tasks this weekend

coop359

Thanks Dan. So it looks like there was a model with PAR46s. I’m looking for the correct model of bulb. I can do flood bulbs like alley lights in the Aerodynics? Flasher inside or external

coop359

It looks like the PAR46 bulb light has a higher dome? Does anyone have a manual that would show different models. Thanks

cmb56

If I have not got the wrong information once, you could get this light as you wanted.
McDermott is a company that hand made their equipment and still is.

There seems to have been CircleBeams with one PAR46 and three PAR36, two PAR46 and two PAR36, four PAR46 and as this one with four PAR36.

Michael

Maxim2Eng

Premium Member
Platinum Supporter
Nice find! Start with a metal polish like Noxon or Brasso using a cloth and pounds of elbow grease. If there is any tarnishing, you may need to invest in a polishing wheel kit for an electric drill. It's amazing what you can accomplish with simple tools.

John211

The lights do alternate - once you hook them up to an alternating flasher. There should be two wires that come out of the bottom. They are are both positive, and should be attached to the two output terminals of an alternating flasher.

By the way, the orange paint in vintage condition suggests it may be ex-Nassau County (NY) PD.
Just stumbled across your post. FYI and everyone else, the Circle Beam had a flasher built into the unit. Vernon McDermott, Julians son, said they still make them and get a call or two a year for the part. Likely the ones with the 2 wires hanging out of the bottom were rewired after the original flasher broke. See photo's below. They also made a revolving light with two PAR 36 bulbs, but Vernon said they didn't last, the motors went after 500 hours, which he felt was not a lot of time on a police car.IMG_7023.JPGIMG_7026.JPG

NESQ115

Just stumbled across your post. FYI and everyone else, the Circle Beam had a flasher built into the unit. Vernon McDermott, Julians son, said they still make them and get a call or two a year for the part. Likely the ones with the 2 wires hanging out of the bottom were rewired after the original flasher broke. See photo's below. They also made a revolving light with two PAR 36 bulbs, but Vernon said they didn't last, the motors went after 500 hours, which he felt was not a lot of time on a police car.View attachment 221032View attachment 221033
Very interesting. I had no idea, but it makes sense. Thanks for the information!

Nolines

Silver Supporter
Hi. I just found this CircleLight in VA. It is in good shape besides missing 2 sealed beams. The two lights in the light are GE4509 100 watt aircraft lights. What bulbs are suppose to be used. Are they all the same? What would be the best way to clean up the metal? Lens has no cracks. Not sure the top nut is correct? Maybe an acorn nut?
Not to sound silly but is it possible it was used at an airport as a marker light or something similar with lights that bright on it??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Unanswered questions
Members
Latest member
Neto_09
Top Bottom