Just another boring ol' Beacon Ray model 17...or is it?

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
Snagged this FedSig 6V model 17 on *bay. Hasn't got here yet so these pics are from the listing. Lets see if any astute collectors can see what makes this one somewhat more rare than most model 17's. And no I'm not referring to the stupid magnets someone added. Eric, you can't play.  

$_57.jpg

$_57b.jpg

$_57a.jpg

Reactions: jph2

acklover

Apr 28, 2014
Southern Indiana
I snagged the 12 volt version from the same seller...It has the same Federal Enterprises tag on it. It's made for a sloped roof and has the same goofy padded feet on it. Hoping it shows up today. And we got these on the cheap...another Model 17 went for $202.00. 

Last edited by a moderator:

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Email the seller the pics of what happened and ask why it was not packed properly. You've spent the money to get it and they've wasted your time and a vintage piece in the process not to ensure safe delivery. I'd be pissed beyond pissed.

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
Sigh...it just showed up. Broken...very disappointed. 

View attachment 145092

That sucks! I'm sorry that happened to your light. It explains a confusing email I got from the seller today though telling me a claim has been filed with the shipper and he would gladly refund my money.

Yes, the tag is what makes it different. Doesn't say Federal Sign & Signal like most do.

acklover

Apr 28, 2014
Southern Indiana
Email the seller the pics of what happened and ask why it was not packed properly. You've spent the money to get it and they've wasted your time and a vintage piece in the process not to ensure safe delivery. I'd be pissed beyond pissed.

he knows. but he has no clue what he sold me regarding the vintage or the value. he also knows that UPS will not pay this claim and has offered a full refund. that doesn't ease any of the pain though. that beacon is at least 60 years old.

acklover

Apr 28, 2014
Southern Indiana
That sucks! I'm sorry that happened to your light. It explains a confusing email I got from the seller today though telling me a claim has been filed with the shipper and he would gladly refund my money.

Yes, the tag is what makes it different. Doesn't say Federal Sign & Signal like most do.

he got us confused with each other. I hope yours shows up OK.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Looking at the first pic, I already see a broken dome that looks like it is either glued together or just being held together by the force of the dome gasket.  Perhaps the lame attempt to turn this into a magnetically mounted beacon is the reason for the broken dome? 

As for the packing job... just plain lame, but this is how lots of people think things can be safely shipped.  They either have no clue or do not care that once it leaves their hands it will get tossed around and perhaps dropped several times before reaching the recipient. 

Now, on to the uniqueness of this specimen...

Federal Enterprises became Federal Signal in 1956.  The serial number of this model 17 indicates it is a 6 volt, model 17, made in 1953, so yes, it is a very old one.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
The first picture you posted in the OP it looks like that dome was broken/compromised to begin with, although it does suck to receive it broken unexpectedly.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
Looking at the first pic, I already see a broken dome that looks like it is either glued together or just being held together by the force of the dome gasket.  Perhaps the lame attempt to turn this into a magnetically mounted beacon is the reason for the broken dome? 

As for the packing job... just plain lame, but this is how lots of people think things can be safely shipped.  They either have no clue or do not care that once it leaves their hands it will get tossed around and perhaps dropped several times before reaching the recipient. 

Now, on to the uniqueness of this specimen...

Federal Enterprises became Federal Signal in 1956.  The serial number of this model 17 indicates it is a 6 volt, model 17, made in 1953, so yes, it is a very old one.

The first picture you posted in the OP it looks like that dome was broken/compromised to begin with, although it does suck to receive it broken unexpectedly.

The OP is not the one with the broken light. Another member stated they bought a similar one, then posted pictures of it arriving broken.

Hopefully the OP will NOT be receiving a broken light!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
The OP is not the one with the broken light. Another member stated they bought a similar one, then posted pictures of it arriving broken.

Hopefully the OP will NOT be receiving a broken light!

Ahhhh you are correct sir, when I scrolled down I went too far and didn't notice the posting member's name lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.