Just bought these 4 old Whelen Edges

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Just bought 4 old *dusty* Whelen Edges

On two of these they have been taking some lights/domes off, but I think I can get 3 of the bars to work.

Previous owner said that all 4 should have working power supplies.

They seem all four to be some quite old Edge models... maybe from the 80´ties?

So, now I have something to do incoming winter, fixing with these oldies. ;)

May 21, 2010
Berlin, MI, 48002
They won't be EB4's, those are much newer than the bars pictured. You might have EB6's in the bottom bar as the corner tubes/assemblies look newer.

The middle 2 look like they have "J"-tube corner strobes & "probably" have (2) 4 head PS's (ZFO, ZFM, etc. prefixes).

& the top one is the oldest of the 4 - looks like it has the "V-tube" corners, which means its' probably 20-25 years old as the V-tubes were used in the first version of the Edge 9000. That probably has the old "zing zing" sounding double flash power supply(s).

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Thanks for your info, ChargerLighting!

These bars have not been used for long time, they have been collecting dust for about 4-5 years. Do you think that some of the PS could have gone bad during this time??

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
They might have eb'-6's. I have a few of the older edges with the j tubes that have the eb-6. The power supplies were swapped out.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Now I have got these bars at home.

I quickly tested these four today and here are the first "results"

The bar at the bottom of the picture has 6 working strobes.

The bar at the top of the picture has 8 working strobes.

(I don´t know yet what PS these have inside)

The two bars in the middle did not "fire up" when I connected the think black & red wires to the battery...

Can It have somehing to do with the bunch of the thinner wires coming out of these bars? Maybe on this model you must also connect some

of those to red or black on the battery before the lightbar will work?

Or the sad thing could be that the PS in these two bars have gone bad.. = (

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
The other 2 sound like a realy matrix bar. the cable with the smaller wires, look for the brown wire(it should have +12 volts on it), touch it to the others in the bundle and it should fire up. I believe blue is for front and back strobes.

cromwell

Aug 30, 2010
Finland, Europe
Thanks for your answer jdh!

When I put +12 volt to the brown wire nothing happened, but with the blue wire all lights fired up.

It would be nice to know what all the wires a for on this picture:

Do you jdh or someone else have a wiring diagram?

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
The brown will have 12v on it. When you touch the brown to the other wires in that cable, it will turn on things...such as alleys, takedowns, flashers, and other accessories. If you open the bar, look behind the rear outer strobe on the driver’s side, you will find a relay board. That board controls all of the bars functions. Each accessory and the strobe power supply's plug into that board.

The 12v on the brown is to connect to a controller in the car as an all power, and all the others would be switched from there.

As far as the model number…I would check Whelen’s site.

Usually on that model, there would be 3 cables, a red and black to power the relay board, a cable consisting of several 20 awg cable to control the bar, and another cable with a black and white cable that would connect to the optional speaker.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.