Just in!! My Federal Signal Prototype 185 Beacon

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello there again. This time I have something that i think is pretty unique. I got this beacon from another board member, who got it from a Federal Signal employee, who worked in the Research and Development Dept. Apparently this was a project that never made it to production, but never the less it was professionally manufactured as a one off sample. Unfortunately it was never marked 185 or prototype.

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_004_2.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_003_2.jpg

ai734.photobucket.com_albums_ww341_eric6913_002_3.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

Reactions: OliverD

GSPD

May 21, 2010
NY
Very nice...I've always said you can never have enough sealed beams under a dome!

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Awesome... I love a good concept item.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Ben G said:
I've got one thing to say. Video please.

I second the motion..... ;)

Very cool beacon, man!!!

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Light-em-up did own this beacon. I had the chance to pick it up but decided since it wasnt marked that I would let someone else get it in.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
If that 185 was on a roof, any ELB member seeing it at night would have to say:"red red clear red clear" (???) :eek: What an odd flash pattern for a 184???? ;)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
toon80 said:
If that 185 was on a roof, any ELB member seeing it at night would have to say:"red red clear red clear" (???) :eek: What an odd flash pattern for a 184???? ;)

I would like to see red, red, clear, blue, blue

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Pimp said:
Make a disco light... red, blue, white, green, amber.

There are a few depts in Texas that might use that setup!

a102.jpg

roto5.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
JohnMarcson said:
I would like to see red, red, clear, blue, blue
Red, blue, red, clear, red for me.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Tbourg93 said:
something you dont see everyday. If it only went into production....... :roll:

I would sure have been a good thing, but I don't think we'd put too much attention on it anymore. We would just go on and say: Ah, well. Just another 185... ;) Still it IS an awesome light!!

Tbourg93

Sep 20, 2010
On the east coast
toon80 said:
I would sure have been a good thing, but I don't think we'd put too much attention on it anymore. We would just go on and say: Ah, well. Just another 185... ;) Still it IS an awesome light!!
and you dont normally see a beacon with 5 lamps in it

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Yeah... I liek the idea of thread resurrection for especially awesome lights..... this one is one of the top most unique lights pictured here.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
JohnMarcson said:
Yeah... I liek the idea of thread resurrection for especially awesome lights..... this one is one of the top most unique lights pictured here.

Thank you to all! This is not just some custom job, it uses various pieces and typical design concepts found in other federal beacons.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
ERIC6913 said:
Thank you to all! This is not just some custom job, it uses various pieces and typical design concepts found in other federal beacons.

That's the best part. A custom factory prototype... One of the best lights on the site honestly... and I'm a whelen guy. I'd mount one on each corner of heavy rescue any day.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
JohnMarcson said:
There are a few depts in Texas that might use that setup!

Somewhat unusual with the green on those units, John, since green is supposed to be for command vehicles in Texas. However, when I was in the small town of Seagraves a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that their newer ambulances all have green lights up front. Interesting!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.