Officer Down Memorial Page K9 (ODMP K9)

Bio & Incident Details

Breed: German Shepherd

Tour: Not available

Cause: Gunfire

Incident Date: Thursday, January 31, 2013

Weapon: Gun; Unknown type

Suspect: Shot and wounded

K9 Koda was shot and killed as he attempted to take down a subject following a vehicle pursuit.

Deputies had pursued a vehicle several blocks until the vehicle crashed into a ditch near the intersection of Seminole Drive and South Magnolia Drive. The subject continued to flee on foot and then opened fire on K9 Koda and deputies. Two deputies returned fire and wounded the subject before taking him into custody.

It was later determined that the subject was wanted on warrants for attempted first degree murder, aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, and discharging a firearm from a vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I'm gonna get flack on this, but...

Why does it bother me so much when a dog get killed? Maybe we expect human LEO LODD's are going to happen, and we sort of live with it. Don't like it, but it happens. But when the dog gets it, I don't know, it really boils my blood.

Let the flaming begin. :(

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
Jazz it bothers me too... mostly because that is what I do. But always remember that it is what the dog is for. That sounds cold, but it is the truth. Yes the community is definatly without a valuable resource and most likely a good friend, but the dog is trained for this. To take the bullet so the handler or his cover officers don't have to. It is a noble death for him. He didn't rot away in a kennel in pain from his hips or cancer or organ failure. Jurys also don't like when assholes kill dogs either.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Yup... as a canine handler it is hard to make the decision to send a dog in not knowing what is going to happen. That being said, we don't send the dogs in on suicide missions. If we have a chance to wait for swat that is what we do. However, are hands are forced sometime and I may have to send my partner in to save someone else's life. It is a very hard concept to grasp, he is very much a part of my family.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instinq

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.