KC metro FD mapping project

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Update 8/1/11: I've since updated (and finished) the KC Map, and moved on to others. See below.

Hey guys.

Since moving up to the KC metro area, I've wanted to have an idea of where all the major (and some minor) fire stations are at, since I work with a few of them from various departments. So I got bored one day and started mapping them out on Google Maps...and it's kinda gone from there.

Check it out:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie ... 85b0d&z=10

I now have over 100 department stations mapped out, and about half of them even have the apparatus assigned to each station listed there. What do ya'll think?

Disclaimer 1: Most of the information seen here was readily obtainable on department websites or through basic Google searches (and some cheap "common sense" searching). ;)

Disclaimer 2: Not all the information on this map is 100% accurate, nor is it endorsed/sanctioned/verified by any of the agencies listed. If you have any corrections, well, tell me. ;D

BW

Last edited by a moderator:

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
I've begun moving on to other cities, as I find this quite interesting (it's a nerd thing). Here's a half dozen other places that I've managed to get mapped out:

Topeka/Lawrence - Topeka & Lawrence Fire Station Locations - Google Maps

Wichita - Wichita Metro Fire/EMS Stations - Google Maps

Denver - Denver Metro Area Fire Stations - Google Maps

Colorado Springs - Colorado Springs Fire Stations - Google Maps

Oklahoma City - Oklahoma City Metro Fire Stations - Google Maps

Let me know what you all think.

Last edited by a moderator:

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
the bug moved on,i started to do the county where i live/run as well as the county i dispatch for,,kinda interesting once you start getting into it

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
TCO said:
the bug moved on,i started to do the county where i live/run as well as the county i dispatch for,,kinda interesting once you start getting into it

It is addictive, that's for sure. I did one, and didn't want to stop there. So the project rolls on. My next areas are to finish up Colorado Springs, Oklahoma City, and Denver (there's a few holes), and then move on to Tulsa, Omaha, St. Louis, Chicago, and then places like Houston, Austin, Dallas/Ft. Worth, etc.

Maybe I'll eventually get to FDNY. THAT would be a big-ass map.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
I finished a map that I've literally been trying to work on and finish for months, but the availability of information out there was just way too scarce to get anywhere. Then I remembered that each county in the country has some level of GIS mapping with at last major edifices listed/mapped out.

Here's Honolulu City/County Fire Department on the whole island: Oahu Fire Stations - Google Maps

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
factorone33 said:
I finished a map that I've literally been trying to work on and finish for months, but the availability of information out there was just way too scarce to get anywhere. Then I remembered that each county in the country has some level of GIS mapping with at last major edifices listed/mapped out.

Here's Honolulu City/County Fire Department on the whole island: Oahu Fire Stations - Google Maps

If you're looking for another county one to do, drop me a PM! :)

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
Doug said:
If you're looking for another county one to do, drop me a PM! :)

We'll see. Right now I'm on hiatus because I've got so many damn projects going on that I can't hardly keep track of 'em, but there's a list of places I want to get as I branch out. St. Louis, Omaha, Des Moines, Tulsa, Lincoln, and Columbia, MO are all on my list, and in the future, I'm sure I'll hit up Chicago, Minneapolis, etc.

I figure in a few years, I may have every major city in the U.S. covered, plus the smaller metros and cities.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.