KD Lamp 888

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I just finished rebuilding a KD Lamp 888 that was full of surprises. This is one of the neighbors gifts and was sitting on a shelf in his shed for who knows how many years. Filthy. it was wired when I got it to be a Quadra Flash type light with the lower bulb carriage screwed to the base and all of the original wiring cut out. I had no idea why anyone would do that to a light until I started making discoveries.

217100 217101 217102

The first surprise was the wiring in side of the motor. It was cloth covered. From what I can research that stopped about 1956. The second big surprise was when I powered it up for the first time. It spun like an out of control carousel. I knew right away this was actually a 6 volt motor. Not being stamped 6 volts suggests to me it was built before 6 volt was not a standard.

It's a great looking light. I my opinion how the Federal Model 14 should have been made with the taller skirt. This is the original dome and the original base gasket. I kinda want to put a red or blue dome on it.

The stamped ID on the skirt has the "Fat Man" emblem, which also suggests early model.

I am waiting for some 6 volt bulbs to come in (getting hard to find by the way) and then I can do a short video.

The lack of an SAE-W3 stamping also suggests early. I have found one KD 888 with a SAE-W3-68 stamping so I know they did use the standard.

I actually recorded the entire restoration process and plan to put that on my Youtube channel in a day or so. It's a little long but I think it will be interesting to those wanting to restore something like this.

Any info or comments welcome about these lights.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
I do not think you have any use of this information because yours is 6 Volt and amber but someone else might.

The red two sealed beam 12 Volt version’s model number is 888-3671.
The red four sealed beam 12 Volt version’s model number is 888-6675.

The older ones was made in chrome plated steel but later ones was made in stainless steel.
There was a truck equipment company here in Sweden that imported K-D Lamp in the 80s and they got complaint about that they rusted.
At least in the whether here with snow and salt.

My four sealed beam light is in stainless steel so it is late.

To what I can recall there is no SAE on any of them.

Michael

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Great work! I am not real informed about the acid bath procedure. What do you use and how do you dispose of it? Looks like it works great.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
If my count was not wrong depending of the video you had about 60 rpm on the motor shaft in 12 Volt which should have give you 240 fpm.

I get about 95 fpm in 6 Volt which should be a more normal flash rate.

There are some 12 Volt four sealed beam lights that gives around 200 fpm from the 70s and 80s but I do not think K-D Lamp had any such.

If the SAE number on your light says 68 or maybe 63 it can not have been built in the 50s.
There where still 6 Volt vehicles around in the 60s that needed replacement lights and I think most manufacturers had 6 Volt as an option for a long time.

Michael

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
What do you use and how do you dispose of it?

It is 1 cup of PH Down to 5 gallons of water. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, or anywhere they sell pool supplies. The batch will stay good for months if covered and not diluted by rain. It is great for removing rust, stains and paint. I leave kerosene lanterns I am restoring in it for a couple of days but can't say what time is safest for chrome. This one was only in there about 3 hours. I dispose of the old stuff into the runoff ditch at the street. It doesn't even kill the weeds.

Reactions: Scoot163

Lt.214

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Southwest Ohio USA
There is a set of 2(1 red and 1 blue) domes on the bay for sale currently. LS344 is the lens #, if your still looking for color options.

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
The first surprise was the wiring in side of the motor. It was cloth covered. From what I can research that stopped about 1956. The second big surprise was when I powered it up for the first time. It spun like an out of control carousel. I knew right away this was actually a 6 volt motor. Not being stamped 6 volts suggests to me it was built before 6 volt was not a standard.

My Dad has a 1952 GMC that is 6v, I have a 1958 Dodge that is 12v, so 12v was introduced sometime between those two years.

Neat light, I wasn't even aware of the K-D lamp company.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.