Keep it undercover with tint

bj3976

Jun 4, 2011
Plaistow NH
Most Police dept have undercover cars and sometimes not the normal Crown Vic or standard SUV. When these cars have lights they are usually stuffed in the rear deck hidden behind tinted windows and not a problem hiding them. When they are put behind the grill you tend to see them because the sun is shining off the lens cover or the lights mirror backing making it a dead give a way. Use a high quality automotive grade tint to cover the lens. This does not have to be super dark, a light smoke or very low tint will do just fine. The film blocks the sunlight or a cars headlights when you look in the grill. Most of the time you really have to look in the grill to see the lights. This will also work for dash lights and visor lights. Keeps your vehicle looking that much more undercover. I have found that if you use a light smoke it does not hinder the the light output. Today's lights are so bright you cant notice a difference. I noticed this on a DEA car used for drug busts. This is also good for if you travel out of your area into other states that dont allow lighting in POV's.

Here is my grill lights hard to see that there are 4 LED light heads. There is only a small reflection on the very top due to the camera flash.

ai53.photobucket.com_albums_g59_bj3976_photo008.jpg

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Zach C. said:
Yes I have tinted mine before. I just tinted one of the SO's cars grill lights well as the lights on the rear license plate. It really does make them less visible and it didn't really reduce the brightness or color.

Zach

The words I posted are an actual link to a previous discussion, I edited my post, but I couldn't do anything until after Moderator Approval.

I changed the wording in the first post.

http://www.elightbars.org/forums/f13/tinting-grill-lights-14748/

P1808

Jun 2, 2010
Florida
A trick we used was to take black pantyhose and stech accross the light head. this would stop the glare from the lense and when you turned the lights on you dont even know its there. now its not that great long term on the oudside lights but for deck lights and visor lights its a cheap and quick fix.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
We actually did this with the marker lights on our 2011 demo Charger. I'll have pics up soon to show everyone what I'm talking about, but we ended up using the "custom" paint that you get to shade your taillights as "black" without killing light output. It matches the black of the vehicle, and looks slick as hell to boot without diminishing the vertex we put behind it.

Pics to follow.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
A Grand Marquis done bt Sirenet... I didn't know about that spray... Looks good and definitely lo-pro !

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
strobecrazy said:
If you want spray-on tint but want to change back to untinted at anytime? Plastidip now makes a spray-on tint, that peels off when you don't want it anymore.

Regular plasti dip is great, but I was not impressed by their tint:hopeless:

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
strobecrazy said:
If you want spray-on tint but want to change back to untinted at anytime? Plastidip now makes a spray-on tint, that peels off when you don't want it anymore.

Not the expected effect though... It's hardly darkened !

Reactions: Doug

NFD-102

Aug 1, 2011
NW Connecticut
Luismariadarlene said:
i really like how this vehicle came out looks really nice.

I think that looks cool but I would rather just tint the windows all the way around and put the tint strip across the front window. I can see tinting the grill lights.

May 20, 2010
Mission, Texas RGV
NFD-102 said:
I think that looks cool but I would rather just tint the windows all the way around and put the tint strip across the front window. I can see tinting the grill lights.

Yes i know what you mean but old people do not tint their windows so it looks like a grandmas sedan lol

ryan81986

Apr 13, 2011
Boston, MA
I beg to differ, my 83 year old grandmother has tinted windows on her Grand Marquis, although it may have just came that way.

For maximum effect they should have put a box of kleenex and a big hat on the back decklid.

Reactions: SEPD_52 and Doug

Camerin

Sep 17, 2010
FL-NH-AK
I have tinted all the lights for my truck install with the exception of the LED HAW's with the spray on tint. I will post pics when the install in complete. The hardest part so far was not spraying too much tint on the lightheads, just taking away the reflection, not black them out.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Camerin said:
I have tinted all the lights for my truck install with the exception of the LED HAW's with the spray on tint. I will post pics when the install in complete. The hardest part so far was not spraying too much tint on the lightheads, just taking away the reflection, not black them out.

I look forward to it.

Can't seem to find that spray on my side of the pond though... or any equivalent one for that matter... Darn. :(

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
Something we used years ago for deck lights on a lightly or non-tinted window, was a simple black knee high nylon stretched over the light assembly, effectively "bagging" it. It made the assemblies less conspicuous, and didn't cut the output all that much.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
patrol530 said:
Something we used years ago for deck lights on a lightly or non-tinted window, was a simple black knee high nylon stretched over the light assembly, effectively "bagging" it. It made the assemblies less conspicuous, and didn't cut the output all that much.

That trick worked here too. But... Over time the nylon fades and gets dirty then they fall apart. We also have been using a 15% tint that the window tinters use it can be found in a roll and cut to size and applied like a decal to the lens.

I just had a 3 year old car that we did the tint on the grille ghost lights. In for radio work the other day and it was still holding up well even after 76K miles on the road

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
SO Brite Lighting said:
So when will the big names in the biz start offering a tint option on their lightheads? Seems like something that is in demand!

Because techically it would detract from the total light output and risk any kind of certification Title13,NFPA,ANSI,OSHA yada yada yada

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Respondcode3 said:
Because techically it would detract from the total light output and risk any kind of certification Title13,NFPA,ANSI,OSHA yada yada yada

If the lightheads are being tinted by the manufacturer, I'm sure they can find a way to keep it inline with whatever specs are required. Seems like LEDs today are bright enough that a small amount of tint shouldn't hurt too bad. I'd be wary of cheap installers using tinted lightheads that are from previous jobs behind already tinted glass however.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
foxtrot5 said:
If the lightheads are being tinted by the manufacturer, I'm sure they can find a way to keep it inline with whatever specs are required. Seems like LEDs today are bright enough that a small amount of tint shouldn't hurt too bad. I'd be wary of cheap installers using tinted lightheads that are from previous jobs behind already tinted glass however.

Very valid point.

I don't see how slightly reduced light output could make say a Whelen Ion out of specs, when much less bright halogen lights do still comply...

I'm sure there would be a market for that stuff... :)

VII

Mar 28, 2013
MN
Here's my go with the Rustoleum Spray Tint on some Whelen IONS. The tint doesn't noticeably effect the light output, but does effect the ability to spot these bad boys!

Turned out GREAT. Found the perfect opportunity on one of the ghost cars that I'm doing now.

ai39.tinypic.com_11iekw8.jpg

ai41.tinypic.com_fd7p8z.jpg

I also tinted the Soundoff Intersectors.

ai41.tinypic.com_hwzmgy.jpg

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Doug and Mrlunchbox

ericl9812

May 31, 2013
Florida
Hello,

So before I ask, Yes I did do a search for other related threads. However, they date back to 2011 and 2012.

And as everyone knows, Technology and ideas constantly change! And LEDs have come a long way...

So with that in mind, What do you guys recommended for tinting lights? Whats the best way to do it? And is "tinting" the only way to go about the

"undercover", "hidden" look? Also, how does this change the light output? Share your ideas! Anything helps!

Thanks!

222.jpg

111.jpg

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
I wouldn't recommend anything if you're doing work for a department. The lights meet certain criteria when they're sold... if you tint them, you lose all certifications. If you want tinted, certified lights... look at the tinted lights that Whelen is working on.

Reactions: ericl9812

ericl9812

May 31, 2013
Florida
I wouldn't recommend anything if you're doing work for a department. The lights meet certain criteria when they're sold... if you tint them, you lose all certifications. If you want tinted, certified lights... look at the tinted lights that Whelen is working on.
Definitely good to know! Not work related this time, however if its not recommended due to light specific certifications, I'd rather refrain from tinting them.. Would love to know any other possible ideas for hiding them or having them be a little less visible..  

Thanks for your input! :)  

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
If you are dead set on tinted lightheads, I believe the top picture you posted is actually of the Whelen lights with factory smoked lenses. They are SAE compliant in that configuration. I believe they are the only company that is making certified lights with smoked lenses. As previously stated any modification you do to them aftermarket will lose the SAE certification.

ericl9812

May 31, 2013
Florida
Black panty hose or nylons. Hides them but allows light through
Now that one I've heard about! lol. However, I also heard that, that's a good idea for lights that are kept inside of the vehicle due to weather and the elements. And not really recommended for exterior use. What do you suggest?

If you are dead set on tinted lightheads, I believe the top picture you posted is actually of the Whelen lights with factory smoked lenses. They are SAE compliant in that configuration. I believe they are the only company that is making certified lights with smoked lenses. As previously stated any modification you do to them aftermarket will lose the SAE certification.
I guess I'll be waiting to see what Whelen comes out with. I knew something was in the works, but I assumed everyone was coating them with a thin layer of spray tint, since I read that regular tint will eventually fall off on its own. I'd rather it be factory than anything else. So we'll see.

Thanks!! 

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
I used plasti dip smoke for some LED3s recently. They came out okay. They gave the light a matte look and barely affected light output.

IMG_20150112_163455_264.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.