Kent's (non-mechanical) Siren Repair Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Kent's (MtnMan's) Siren Repair Shop is open for business!

Got a croaking, squawking, buzzing, fuse-blowing, or just plain dead siren? Want to
hear it wail and yelp again in all its full-power glory?

I've been doing repair and restoration of electronic sirens for ELB members by request, and it seems like time to offer my services more widely. I have experience working on many current and vintage sirens, including:

• Carson SA, SC series
  • Code 3 V-Con, MasterCom, Undercover
  • Federal Signal PA 15, PA 20, PA 150, PA 200, PA 300, e-Q2B
  • Galls branded sirens
  • North American Signal Siren Master
  • Scientific Protoypes Mark series
  • Star SVP SS series
  • Unitrol 80K, Omega, Touchmaster, Touchmaster Delta
  • Whelen 295, Alpha
The most common component failures encountered on electronic sirens are output transistors (no sound at all), control switches (some modes don't work), and PA mic wiring and switches (no PA or scratchy sound). Older analog sirens are also prone to out-of-spec capacitors, producing tones that just don't sound right.

All of these issues, and more, can be fixed. I offer component-level troubleshooting, and I have sourced replacements for many discontinued and hard-to-find parts, including Germanium power transistors, mics, knobs, switches, fuse holders, connectors and wiring harnesses. Defective output transistors will be replaced with gain-matched pairs, which is important for long-term durability.

Basic repairs start at $60 flat rate, plus actual cost of parts and return shipping. Any additional costs are subject to the customer's approval. If my evaluation indicates that repairs are not feasible, I can return the unit as-is (customer pays return shipping), or I may be able to make a cash offer for parts value.

If you're interested in services, please PM me with details of your siren and its condition for an up-front estimate and further details.

Thanks!
Kent

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
I've used Kent's service several times for sirens I've purchased here on ELB. His work is excellent, as is the speed by which he repairs them. On one, he even spent some time on the phone with me to help diagnose a problem. His fees are more than reasonable and he's a great guy, to boot! If you have a siren problem, Kent is the guy to turn to!

CVFD25

Jun 7, 2013
Nebraska
I also have had great dealings with Kent. I had an antique Fyr Fyter Penetrator siren from my own 1966 Firetruck that has a lot of sentimental value. I was very nervous about sending it off to someone I didn't know but he fixed it right and for a good price. The siren is now back in my truck and sounds brand new. Plus he did a great cleaning job on it. I would highly recommend him.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Glad to know that you're doing that, Kent. My late friend Harold had a couple of North Americans that needed repair but he never found anyone to work on them. He did a lot of work himself but couldn't ever find a schematic for them and N.A. wouldn't send him one, either. As you may remember, his daughter sold off all of his sirens while he was hospitalized, including some of mine that he had been "tinkering" on. Never have been able to find out where they went.

Reactions: MtnMan

joeyd

Feb 23, 2014
This is great because my Alpha 22m and 12q are dead dead. Will contact you later.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Here's an update on some recent repair work:

I'd like to thank two members for entrusting me with a pair of very uncommon and interesting sirens to repair, giving me a nostalgic blast from the past, and for their patience when the projects turned out to be more extensive than expected.

Tony (tsquale) sent me his beautiful Signal Stat Mark VII (http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/signal-stat-stat-vii-siren.76001/). I have an NYPD spec Mark VII, but I've never seen the full-featured version, with the modified tone switch.

The neat thing about this siren is that it's all off-the-shelf discrete logic and analog components, circa 1980, which is what I learned on as a teenager. You could have walked into any Radio Shack back then and bought almost every part to build this siren (and at checkout time, the sales guy would have tried to upsell you a CB, instead of a cell phone).

I had a scan of the original service manual to work from, but the details of the circuit diagram were blurry and there were some undocumented revisions, so I ended up redrawing the entire schematic (I'll contribute it to the old manuals thread). The Mark VII has a complicated and rather overprotective protection circuit, which was shutting down the tone and output sections. I located the fault, replaced a switching transistor and flip-flop IC, and the siren was back to perfect working order, complete with the funky Mod tones. With Tony's approval, I also did the (easily reversible) modification for the NYPD-style momentary yelp that every New Yorker from the 1970s - 1980s remembers. Check his updated thread for a video of the final result.

Turning back the retro dial a few more notches was the Federal Signal PA-1 received from another member. That's right, not a PA-10, or a PA-5... a PA-ONE. The Original Federal Electronic Siren, from around 1952.

This siren was a real time capsule. The circuitry is all transistorized, which was advanced for the time, but the construction is hand-wired, point-to-point, a technique going back to the early days of tube equipment.

I didn't have any information at all on the circuitry, but fortunately it was basic enough that I was able to trace it out and draft a diagram (to be posted as well). As received, the siren just produced a feeble, monotone squeak. The basic fix was predictable: replacing some dried-out electrolytic capacitors in the oscillator section, which restored the original, rich wail tone.

The siren also showed evidence of some more-expedient-than-expert repair work over the decades (remember, this piece dates to the era when every town had a local radio repair shop). A power resistor had been replaced with a kludged substitute and the output transistors were a mix of mismatched components. I found some NOS transistors on eBay, returned everything to spec, and was very pleased to hear the old siren putting out a solid 50 Watts.

To the member whose PA-15 is on my bench right now, I promise I haven't forgotten! It will be receiving a selector switch transplant first thing next week.

Keep those old sirens coming!

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I will say this, i've never once used Kent but his knowledge is very obvious. I've always enjoyed his post. Never heard a bad thing about his services so if I ever have a need I'll be reaching out.

Reactions: DalmatProd

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
I can speak for Kent having used his service. It was my PA-1 that he referenced working on in the above post. He was extremely professional every step of the way, kept me up to date with what he did and if he felt something else needed to be looked at because it wasn't quite up to spec he got my permission before doing it. The repair was timely and VERY affordable and the siren sounds AWESOME!! I would not hesitate to use his service again.

Hello Sir!

I have a like new Code 3 V-Con 3672L4. I sold it to some one who burned it up during installation. He returned it saying I had prior knowledge knowing it was bad (UH HUH). The siren box smells awful and when I power it up and slide the light switch over all 3 lights blink on n off once hardly able to see them and nothing after. When I depress the white buttons the Red Light activates and shuts off. The siren tones don't work at all. I opened it up and you can see a burn mark on the left side of the green circuit board. What do you think? Please email me @ aofindustries55@gmail.com. You can text me @ (708) 915-9788, thank you!

Bill
Chicago

Mark1122

Nov 28, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hi, I have a used Federal signal touchmasterdelta PA/siren system I got and the guy said it worked. I hooked it up and can't get any siren sounds. The horn and PA work fine, so I know the speaker/ siren is hooked up right. Any ideas on why or what could be the problem. You can email me @ markmoreno007@Gmail.Com.

Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-22-21-32-14.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-22-21-32-14.png
    566.5 KB · Views: 3

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Hi, I have a used Federal signal touchmasterdelta PA/siren system I got and the guy said it worked. I hooked it up and can't get any siren sounds. The horn and PA work fine, so I know the speaker/ siren is hooked up right. Any ideas on why or what could be the problem. You can email me @ markmoreno007@Gmail.Com.

Thanks
Mark

What happens when you use the TEST button?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Hey Kent,
Can you repair a Code3 Arrowsik controller?
I didn't realize that the circuit boards for the lights were bad before I fried it.
Major fubar on my part.
Know it's screwed got replacement lights and different controller it all works. But this one is done.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I have a newer Whelen 295slsa1 siren. Out of warranty. You fix those as well? Shoot me an address and off it will go to you.

mjs3025

Jul 29, 2015
TX
Hi Kent - I've got a push button Fyr Fyter Penetrator that "works" but the tones are definitely suffering. "ALT" (yelp) is way too fast and "WAIL" does not rise and fall like it should. Both are a little more high-pitched than they should be as I'm sure the old caps and transistors have about had it. If you can help me out here, please email me at mjs3025@aol.com or let me know how to get it touch with you.

Thanks in advance, Mike

BADSR

Apr 30, 2017
Luling
Hello Kent!

I have three PA20's and one Director that needs cleaning and a bumper-to-bumper evaluation. I have some issues with all but one of the PA20's, but that one should also be looked at.

Please email me at: bdonewar@gmail.com so I can get this shipped off with payment. I really do appreciate your time and all that you do.

Thanks!

Barry Donewar

CAnderson

Jul 19, 2017
Nashville
Kent,

I have a Unitrol Touchmaster Delta that has started blending tones together at times. Sometimes the tone just make a odd noise nothing like what it should be. Other times it runs just fine. If the tones and sweep feature are acting up the air horn and manual continue to work properly. Ever seen anything like this before and is it something your could repair?
Thanks for your time,
Clay Anderson

Omegaman78

Oct 4, 2012
East Northport, NY
IMG_5916.JPG

Got a croaking, squawking, buzzing, fuse-blowing, or just plain dead siren? Want to
hear it wail and yelp again in all its full-power glory?

Hello Kent,
Just picked up a federal signal pa 300 with the silver faceplate and mic. Don't know if it works as it's missing the wiring harness. Looking to get it cleaned up and running w a new wiring harness. Let me know where to send it and maybe get back to me with a price.

Thanks
Matt

BADSR

Apr 30, 2017
Luling
Here's an update on some recent repair work:

I'd like to thank two members for entrusting me with a pair of very uncommon and interesting sirens to repair, giving me a nostalgic blast from the past, and for their patience when the projects turned out to be more extensive than expected.

Tony (tsquale) sent me his beautiful Signal Stat Mark VII (http://elightbars.org/forums/threads/signal-stat-stat-vii-siren.76001/). I have an NYPD spec Mark VII, but I've never seen the full-featured version, with the modified tone switch.

The neat thing about this siren is that it's all off-the-shelf discrete logic and analog components, circa 1980, which is what I learned on as a teenager. You could have walked into any Radio Shack back then and bought almost every part to build this siren (and at checkout time, the sales guy would have tried to upsell you a CB, instead of a cell phone).

I had a scan of the original service manual to work from, but the details of the circuit diagram were blurry and there were some undocumented revisions, so I ended up redrawing the entire schematic (I'll contribute it to the old manuals thread). The Mark VII has a complicated and rather overprotective protection circuit, which was shutting down the tone and output sections. I located the fault, replaced a switching transistor and flip-flop IC, and the siren was back to perfect working order, complete with the funky Mod tones. With Tony's approval, I also did the (easily reversible) modification for the NYPD-style momentary yelp that every New Yorker from the 1970s - 1980s remembers. Check his updated thread for a video of the final result.

Turning back the retro dial a few more notches was the Federal Signal PA-1 received from another member. That's right, not a PA-10, or a PA-5... a PA-ONE. The Original Federal Electronic Siren, from around 1952.

This siren was a real time capsule. The circuitry is all transistorized, which was advanced for the time, but the construction is hand-wired, point-to-point, a technique going back to the early days of tube equipment.

I didn't have any information at all on the circuitry, but fortunately it was basic enough that I was able to trace it out and draft a diagram (to be posted as well). As received, the siren just produced a feeble, monotone squeak. The basic fix was predictable: replacing some dried-out electrolytic capacitors in the oscillator section, which restored the original, rich wail tone.

The siren also showed evidence of some more-expedient-than-expert repair work over the decades (remember, this piece dates to the era when every town had a local radio repair shop). A power resistor had been replaced with a kludged substitute and the output transistors were a mix of mismatched components. I found some NOS transistors on eBay, returned everything to spec, and was very pleased to hear the old siren putting out a solid 50 Watts.

To the member whose PA-15 is on my bench right now, I promise I haven't forgotten! It will be receiving a selector switch transplant first thing next week.

Keep those old sirens coming!

Kent,
I have several Interceptors and one Director that needs some attention. Please send your information to bdonewar@gmail.com and I will get them to you for you to work your magic!!!

Thanks.

B

Tony P

Sep 13, 2015
Midwest, USA
how do you pm somebody on this site? need to ask about my pa300 repair. thanks, don
Hi Don,

If you click on the username of the member you want to message, a box with some of their details will pop up. In that box choose the start conversation button and it will take you to the messaging screen.

Alternatively, you can find the same start conversation box if you are viewing a member's profile information.

kz0v2z

Jun 2, 2018
Southfield, MI

Got a croaking, squawking, buzzing, fuse-blowing, or just plain dead siren? Want to hear it wail and yelp again in all its full-power glory?

I've been doing repair and restoration of electronic sirens for ELB members by request, and it seems like time to offer my services more widely. I have experience working on many current and vintage sirens, including:
  • Carson SA, SC series
  • Code 3 V-Con, MasterCom, Undercover
  • Federal Signal PA 15, PA 20, PA 150, PA 200, PA 300, e-Q2B
  • Galls branded sirens
  • North American Signal Siren Master
  • Scientific Protoypes Mark series
  • Star SVP SS series
  • Unitrol 80K, Omega, Touchmaster, Touchmaster Delta
  • Whelen 295, Alpha
The most common component failures encountered on electronic sirens are output transistors (no sound at all), control switches (some modes don't work), and PA mic wiring and switches (no PA or scratchy sound). Older analog sirens are also prone to out-of-spec capacitors, producing tones that just don't sound right.

All of these issues, and more, can be fixed. I offer component-level troubleshooting, and I have sourced replacements for many discontinued and hard-to-find parts, including Germanium power transistors, mics, knobs, switches, fuse holders, connectors and wiring harnesses. Defective output transistors will be replaced with gain-matched pairs, which is important for long-term durability.

Basic repairs start at $60 flat rate, plus actual cost of parts and return shipping. Any additional costs are subject to the customer's approval. If my evaluation indicates that repairs are not feasible, I can return the unit as-is (customer pays return shipping), or I may be able to make a cash offer for parts value.

If you're interested in services, please PM me with details of your siren and its condition for an up-front estimate and further details.

Thanks!
Kent
Kent,

Please contact me about repairing my Federal Siren PA20......many thanks !

Leigh Scott

Kent......my e mail is : leigh_scott@rocketmail.com...thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.