Kenwood TK-7180 to work with magnetic mic.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Well as the title say, I have a Kenwood TK 7180 and I am trying to get the magnetic mic to work for it. However the mic scans through the grounding of the standard mic clip. I need to get this to work with the magnetic mic by ground it out through that instead. Does anyone know of a way around this. I have spent weeks looking for an answer and can not find one.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
is the standard mic hanger on the radio itself?

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Yeah currently. I am trying to get it to work on the magnetic mic but once I attach the mount for the mic it puts it into scan mode everytime.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ok so your not wanting it to scan... i misread what your asking.. seems the magnetics are interfering with the internal components... not much you can do.. Ive often thought how are these magnetic mic holders not interfering with the electromagnetic in the mics themselves... because you know.. "science and stuff"

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The issue is that Kenwood mics have grounded contacts on the back of the mic that are bridged to the hanger button when the mic is on-clip. The magnetic mic adapter permanently shorts the button to the ground contacts.

The makers of the magnetic mic have supposedly produced an insulator to fix this. You’ll then need to ground the dash magnetic holder to enable off-hook scanning.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
youd have to use a LOT of rubber to accomplish that.. which seems like it would then no longer hold the mic... seems like if you added a tab to the back of the microphone and then added a ground to that tab from the frame somewhere youd by pass that but it would get annoying to have to remove the wire everytime you want to use the mic... unless you used a coiled chord or something...

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
I have magnetic mics set up on multiple 7180 with no issue. Are you using a kmc35 mic or diffrent one? Also, there is a programming option that can be adjusted to avoid off hook on hook scan

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
I have seen the off hook scan option but then that would require me to push the scan button everything i want to talk on a channel instead of just lifting the mic. I am using the one that came with it. I believe its the kmc35. Just wasnt sure if there was a way for the radio to ignore the ground through the mic

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Not sure how many transmit channels your using in scan,but in mine, I set my scan for selected TX, what ever my selected ch is, will always be my selected Tx path. You can also set it for “talk back” function in the program, this will allow you a chance to transmit back on your scan held ch, and also has a timer on it to allow that chance. As I mentioned, most of my customers love the magnetic mic, and as a kenwood dealer, we have tons of these set up out there mostly in public safety applications. I guess it comes down to how you are using the radio.... I would love to help get this working for you. Feel free to shoot me an email.
ron@northeastradios.com.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
Yeah the issue is with our county and the New high band system they went with, they have multiple repeaters, as I do a lot of mutual aid work throughout the county I have to talk on the different towers and monitor different channels as well. So its kinda hard to do like just 4 channels. I just wasn't sure if there was a simple fix for what I needed. I bought the Magnetic mic, and love the idea but didn't love the constant scan.

rcfd34

Oct 24, 2011
Illinois
This sounds more of a programming issue go back into your programming and uncheck the box for it to have to on the hanger.. I have the same radio that was set the same way and I reprogrammed it with out that setting and it will work fine

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.