Keyless entry in 2017/2018 PIU

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
I'm not sure this is where this goes or another forum would be more appropriate. We just ordered a new Ford Interceptor utility for a battalion chief rig. It was supposed to come with keyless entry, however, it came in incorrectly. Long story short the dealer stated they could send the whole car back and order a new one with keyless entry but it would take another 8-10 weeks for it to come in. They said it is not as simple as programming the new BCM for keyless, and the dealer does not want to put in aftermarket keyless because they say it will interfere with the BCM. I have installed tons of keyless entry and remote start systems over the years and never had an issue with it interfering with the BCM. We do not have time to wait another 8-10 weeks for another car so we have accepted this one. I guess the question is has anyone installed an aftermarket keyless system on a PIU? If you have what system did you use? Have you experienced any problems?

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
http://www.fordpimods.com/keyless-entry.html

It is possible to program the vehicle using IDS or Forscan. I had my dealer program keyless entry on my 2014 and I subsequently enabled remote start myself with Forscan. The process for the 2016+ models is slightly different but the dealer should still be able to do it with IDS.

Don't let them tell you it can't be done. My dealer was astonished when it worked.

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
Our dealer is refusing to do this, thus the problem. Says if they fry the BCM then they'll be out the money. That's why I am considering aftermarket. They also said they cannot change the trunk timer to global unlock which is a bunch of junk.

irishff

May 24, 2010
SW Missouri
They have IDS, they just "don't want to mess up the bcm". The only other dealer I have been able to speak to about doing this is willing to do it for $300, but they're 250 miles away. I can install after market much cheaper. Just want to know if anyone has done it.

EVT

May 24, 2010
Midwest
Why would you not want to just do an aftermarket system? It is way better and has way more options than the factory one anyways. All of our customers order just keys and then we do aftermarket systems for the same price as the factory junk option.

Stu824

Feb 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
I’m a little late to this, but for what it’s worth, my employer recently purchased two left over 2017 interceptors (one sedan & one utility). Both were without keyless entry enabled.

I discovered FordPImods and inquired with our local dealership as to if they’d be willing to undertake the process as explained in the instructions received with the coded program from the website. They were adamant that it couldn’t be done and suggested an aftermarket system.

I started down the list of Ford dealers in my area, with the second one willing to try, even contacting Jason from that website for further clarification.

Of course prices will vary, but we were only charged $50 labor for the sedan (fobs obtained via ebay) and $100 for the utility (more lengthy process +$35/fob because of whatever Ford changed to the system).

Both have worked flawlessly since.

I hated to have an aftermarket system installed / wiring messed with if we didn’t have to since the vehicles were already capable of doing what we wanted; the module simply had to be “awaked” if you will.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.