"Kill Key" switch

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I wanted to install a "kill key" so the warning equipment and controllers only function when there is a key in place and also I can remove it when the car is at the shop or something. Any one got a link to such a device??

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
If you install a solenoid on your master power you could use any ignition/keyswitch you'd like. Many auto stores sell generic key switches.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
I wanted to install a "kill key" so the warning equipment and controllers only function when there is a key in place and also I can remove it when the car is at the shop or something. Any one got a link to such a device??

This can be accomplished rather easily by installing a "master" switch that only you know it's use. I've had a rectangle flush mount toggle on the front of my console where I had to slip my hand to switch it if I wanted to disable the audio/visual on my pov.
In my case it was a master for the ign+ feed, on a pa640.. If done well, it's just as secure as a key switch, faster than a key too. :cool:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Copy the link in the pic when you quote.... I just typed in power cutoff with key in google it was in the top row

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I cant get a link off mobile... ill have to do it monday when i get back to a pc

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS

We are running 200 amp timers (MZL-200) from AC/DC Industries. We put a keyed switch on the ground side of the timer and it kills everything that's wired through the timer. This gets you a keyed master kill switch and a timer to kill everything so you don't lose your battery.

Link:
http://www.acdcind.com/mzl-200-delay-timer.html

ckgarside

Jul 9, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
On the smart controllers like the SS2000, I just cut the trace on the board and install a keyswitch between them which gets mounted on the side of the console.

Of course if you are using something other than a relay controlled device, you are better off just putting one of those 200A cutoffs on the 12V rail you use for the lights.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.