L.P. Harless siren...?

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Hey guys, if this should be in the "Identify" thread then I'm sorry. Anyhow, I found this little piece at an antique shop near me. Pretty rough shape and I don't know if it works. The ID tag says it was "Manufactured for L.P. Harris Co., Inc." in Birmingham, AL. I looked them up and they are/were a fire apparatus dealer there. Anyone know what it actually is? I was thinking a rebranded FedSig or something of the sort, like how most Gall's sirens are made by Code 3. Thanks for the help!

IMAG0351.jpg

IMAG0352.jpg

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
The closest I was thinking was a Model 28 but that's just a guess. There are differences in the port sizes and numbers. I just remembered that it only had a small wire coming out of the bottom, maybe about 14 gauge, which would be way too small to run a siren of that size.

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
$80.00 is about right for that siren. it is worth a little more because of the tag. it does not look too dented up, and the paint and rust should polish up, but watch out, the chrome is thin.

Clarence

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
The Harless Co. was originally owned by Harry Harless, so I guess L.P. was one of Harry's sons, since Harry's been gone for years. He carried a lot of Federal equipment that they private labeled for him. Harry was also a big Sireno dealer in the late '50s and 60s, before Sireno discontinued almost everything in the 70s.

The chromed EG siren as shown in the picture sold new for about $60. The painted EG was $50. If the market for used older sirens was like it is now back years ago, I could've made a fortune! Lubbock PD used roof-mounted chromed EGs for many years, but went with Federal Interceptors and PA25 speakers in the late '60s. In the mid-70s I bought about 15 or 20 of the remaining EGs that were in Lubbock's warehouse...including a NIB WG at the time, and I got the whole bunch for $40. I kept the WG for myself but sold the EGs to some of our volunteer firemen for a whopping $15 each! I thought I had done pretty well for myself. Now look what they go for!

I almost forgot to mention that the first Harry Harless siren I ever saw was in July of 1959 when I was on a trip to Huntsville, Alabama. HFD's assistant chief's car was a then-new '59 red Plymouth wagon. It had a red junior beacon on top and a Harless-supplied WL siren on the left front fender. Hunstville PD also used Harry's sirens: they were fender-mounted WLR sirens. Never could figure out what good that rear light did on a fender-mount!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.