LAPD 1997 Crown Victoria Console

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Anyone know what center console the LAPD used in the 90s? I’m trying to collect as much info as I can on 90s LAPD cars.
More than likely FS PA15 on older cars and Unitrols on newer ones if memory serves...with only wail and yelp that work. Some weird CA thing. The Unitrols also controlled the lights.

The "console" wasn't really a console at all as LAPD used UHF T band Motorola portables in Convertacoms. 97 would have been predominately Motorola ASTRO Saber III's. The Convertacom for the Sabers was usually mounted where the AM/FM radio should be and was connected to a 15 watt amp in the car. They were called ROVERs which I also do not remember what that acronym stood for... The MDTs were Digicoms with CRT single color amber screens in the older cars and Motorola 520's in the newer ones. 97 you could have had either as most things were upgraded division-wide, one or two at a time.

2004p71

Aug 27, 2010
canada
I have plenty of picture of the 1997 vic that is parked at the lapd museum . Let me dig this out over the week end I have some good shot of the console .

cabunty

Sep 21, 2014
New England
Pic of a Crown Vic from the North Hollywood shootout will show you what an LAPD console looked like in that era Vic:
Pic Here
Some did have the box you see there with the Unitrol. Others that stuff was center under the dash. Then if you look at the dash and the hole where the AM/FM should be is where the Saber SVA was mounted. I'm trying to find some pics I have also.

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
Some did have the box you see there with the Unitrol. Others that stuff was center under the dash. Then if you look at the dash and the hole where the AM/FM should be is where the Saber SVA was mounted. I'm trying to find some pics I have also.
Yeah. I saw an old LAPD show/documentary with a box body caprice in it with the 480K mounted in the dash like what you are describing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.