LAPD aerodynic flasher question

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
2 questions. On the LAPD aero conversion from 4 to 5 panel bars. 1, Was the code 3 flasher (for the center par 36 bulbs) a model 360HL and 2, does anyone have a pic of the wiring to it?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

Screenshot_20230502-161738.png

There were several models of code 3 flashers on the 360 chassis. We know it was not the "RS", because the flasher they used is always shown with two sets of terminals. The rdk was specifically marketed for lightbar takedowns, but I have heard several people have claim they used the hl model. That has the right number of contacts at least, but no brown "kill wire".

Screenshot_20230502-155425.png
The diagrams on the flashers aren't alway right from version to version or things are confusingly drawn. I would call any "two row contact" 360 version usable, it would be a matter of switching, i.e. how steady burn is activated. I would say it is possible they started out with the hl and later used rdk. This is an in-house mod so it is possible it varied.

Screenshot_20230502-155425.png
The RS lacks the second row of contacts I have always seen in pictures, so I would rule that model out.
Screenshot_20230502-160223.png

I have also seen 700 series used but that was in a display bar and I cannot confirm that as being accurate, although it would work.

I have seen 360hl specifically mentioned most often. I believe that was the original shop mod part. Now whether the rdk or 710 were ever used could probably be debated. I have several confirmed "hl" model posts / reports

Last edited:

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
I have a 360 RDK with the extra terminal and kill wire so that's good. Now just need to see how its wired up. Thanks John.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I have a 360 RDK with the extra terminal and kill wire so that's good. Now just need to see how its wired up. Thanks John.
I believe the "diagram" on the flasher is essentially right. You should have two wires in, one for flash and one for steady. But check the functionality of of the rdk, which mode overrides which and what "kill" does is different than some other flashers. I know there are built-in diodes to allow steady burn, which I think is both switchable on its own AND overrides flash. Kill might just turn off the flashing portion and revert to off or steady depending what else is on. I honestly forget but with a small amount of experimenting with the flasher and comparing it to the wires coming in, it becomes obvious if I remember correctly.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.