LAPD or LASD AeroDynic or.......??

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello gents,
I recently acquired this AeroDynic from a collector out in Los Angeles. It seemed to be very different from any other I had seen before. He says it was legit, but doesn't remember exactly which agency used it. I inquired with another collector and he confirmed it was a legit model variance from Federal Signal. From what he knew, it was only produced for a short period of time upon complaints of poor side warning on the alley light Aerodynics. Definitely is not a Frankenbar as everything has been professionally installed with correct wiring and fasteners. It is a model 24MEAH-4Z. It features Jetstrobe/FB2 like alley lights and a solenoid to control the primary warning rotators.
The holes for a "normal" alley light assembly are there/punched but have no threads, indicating that there have never been any installed and removed. I checked over all my other older Aerodynics and did not find the same mounting holes for the square alley lights as seen here, BUT I did find them on my original LAPD 24EAH-T-2Z model AeroDynic. This AeroDynic also has a solenoid installed for the rotators as well as a small gauge wiring harness for lighting controls. This indicates to me that this light bar was used in conjunction with a siren/light controller of some sort. Who used this type of control ? I also noticed the configuration of the wiring harness/motor location on the driver's side front. It also has a TS-200 speaker installed.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I do have one image that was sent to me from a movie shot apparently. 20200307_181337.jpg20200307_181359.jpg20200307_180854.jpg20200307_180957.jpg20200307_181050.jpg20200307_181116.jpg20200307_181201.jpg20200307_181230.jpg20200307_181310.jpg20200307_181421.jpg

Attachments

• 108078.jpeg
    108078.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 31

Nolines

Apr 5, 2018
Margate, FL
And being a meah version does that mean it's Jewish( sorry a Jewish friend asked me to comment, which I thought was funny anyway, but I think he's thinking of the MEH version).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Interesting... not a fan of the Jet alleys on it.
Neat find either way.

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
I have been pouring through photos of old LAPD shops with Aerodynics. And I have four of them myself. Was gonna say not LAPD when I ran across this.. Not sure this is a true in-service unit or Hollywood but there's the bar......18446683_1851324665116667_7840071914201734748_n.jpg

If it is the real deal, very early on when they went to full lightbars.

Reactions: Wheels
Jun 18, 2013
PA
Maybe.. maybe not.
Remember that the AD4800 or AD5200 did not have par 36 lamps for endlamps. And there are are AD series LAPD bars this could have been one of those.

The bigger question is was this a factory modification or a garage modification.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Maybe.. maybe not.
Remember that the AD4800 or AD5200 did not have par 36 lamps for endlamps. And there are are AD series LAPD bars this could have been one of those.

The bigger question is was this a factory modification or a garage modification.

This was my question too, but here are my thoughts why this was factory......
Nameplate reads 24MEAH with -4z designator. If it was built at the factory I dont think it would have left the factory without having alley lights installed. The screw holes were punched in the top plate for alley lights, but upon close look, no threads in the holes. Also the square alley lights are perfectly spaced and mounted to the tee. I highly doubt a garage could have done such a perfect install. Plus I dont think that would have specially ordered those alley lights and then installed them themselves. I think they would have just used an off brand light and stuck it in there.

Also, LAPD must have had side warning issues/alley light issues from the beginning because it seems like they went through a few different "phases or types " until they were happy with the Hella's they ultimately stuck with on the model 25 Aerodynics.

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
I have been pouring through photos of old LAPD shops with Aerodynics. And I have four of them myself. Was gonna say not LAPD when I ran across this.. Not sure this is a true in-service unit or Hollywood but there's the bar......View attachment 222893

If it is the real deal, very early on when they went to full lightbars.
Rich,
Can you share the pics you were referring to please

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
Eric i would say like this:

first,it is mark add ''4z'' so special order almost for sure
second,jets were factory starting to manuf. in late 80'' so LAPD still used 24 aero model with center speaker housing so jetstrobe alleys were then inn already in progress,SO factory instaled them
because like you said LAPD had problems from side and they throw inn jetstrobe alleys and still
model on the plate left 24EAH which incloude still alleys but small ones nothing special just special order....
about solenoid and rotators hmm...interesting.....what is different when you light up rotators through solenoid any difference you catch?

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Hello Denis,
Solenoids (Relais) are used to switch high amperage loads with small current switches. No difference at all. Some sort of lightbar controller was most likely used. I would like to know myself. Where are the LAPD equipment gurus?!

coop359

Apr 16, 2012
USA Tennessee
Back in the 80s when setting up a squad car. In the trunk we would have the solenoids hooked to battery power thru a large 10 GA fuse wire. It would switch on from ignition and feed the switch box and siren. Depending on what switches were being used- there might be smaller relays. A lot different from today’s set ups

Reactions: denko3

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
I know LASD used solenoids on their lightbars at least as a far as their CTS TwinSonic bars and they used Unitrol controllers. Wether or not it was a LASD modifcation or a special order for them via Federal is unknown. LASD also had dual CTS speakers so possibly LASD perhaps...

Reactions: denko3

redrdr67

May 21, 2010
USA CA/LA
That's almost exactly like mine! It must be Sheriff's since mine was fron LA County Fire vessel.

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Here are photos of an original LASD CTS TwinSonic, with the solenoid as installed. Also the dual speakers...

Attachments

• ctsresto013-vi.jpg
    ctsresto013-vi.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 29
  • ctsresto015-vi.jpg
    ctsresto015-vi.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 28
  • ctsresto016-vi.jpg
    ctsresto016-vi.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: redrdr67 and denko3

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
That's almost exactly like mine! It must be Sheriff's since mine was fron LA County Fire vessel.

I never saw your previous post and can't see pics. Can you post pics of your AeroDynic again here please?

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
I know LASD used solenoids on their lightbars at least as a far as their CTS TwinSonic bars and they used Unitrol controllers. Wether or not it was a LASD modifcation or a special order for them via Federal is unknown. LASD also had dual CTS speakers so possibly LASD perhaps...

Kyle,
What type of Unitrol was used?

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
This is a restored 1978 LASD Nova, so this is accurate, and I believe that is a Unitrol 800 installed...

Attachments

• IMG_1106-vi.jpg
    IMG_1106-vi.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 70

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
I don't have one.. Going on a road trip and maybe by Monday I will let you know.. Not sure what I am going to find...

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
I did a Google Image search and found a couple of LASD Malibu's around 1983 or so with what looks like your's. Also a couple of off road and rescue trucks. My guess if LASD used this bar, i was quick and gone..

Reactions: redrdr67

redrdr67

May 21, 2010
USA CA/LA
I did a Google Image search and found a couple of LASD Malibu's around 1983 or so with what looks like your's. Also a couple of off road and rescue trucks. My guess if LASD used this bar, i was quick and gone..
Got the feeling LA County was sharing their parts bin amongst all departments.

Reactions: southpaw

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
Got the feeling LA County was sharing their parts bin amongst all departments.
Hard to say, I don't think LA County did so much. That is just me. I'v never seen any such that they did. A lot of So. Cal towns may have bought the same, or immulated or copied, but not so much were hand me downs..

Crownfire

Jun 23, 2011
USA CA
LA County Lifeguards were not always part of the Fire Department. That is a relatively recent development (at least to someone who’s 60 years old lol). It’s possible that both Eric’s bar and the Lifeguard boat bar were from the same agency- LA County Lifeguards, before they were part of the FD. Crazy that they appear independently here in this forum at nearly the same time.
redrider67 says his boat bar originally had one red lens-just like Eric’s bar. That they took another blue lens, flipped it around and put it on the boat bar means they had more than one of these bars in service. The boat bar is also a 4Z. Coincidence?
Maybe someone wants to watch a bunch of episodes of Baywatch to see what kinds of lightbars they used, since we were probably looking at other things back when it was on TV lol.

Last edited:

southpaw

May 7, 2015
South-West
The event I was hoping to find items of interest, including a Unitrol was cancelled so no luck thus far..

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Eric, just FYI, LASO used the Unitrol 800. As far as I know LAPD did not. I have two original LAPD Unitrols, but they are the 480H model shown below on the left. The white push button in the lower right corner of the box on the left turned on the PA (white button missing from one one on the right).

I have two non-LAPD Unitrol 480K models as well. They have a plug in for the PA where the LAPD model has the button.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 31

wjgribb

Aug 26, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello gents,
I recently acquired this AeroDynic from a collector out in Los Angeles. It seemed to be very different from any other I had seen before. He says it was legit, but doesn't remember exactly which agency used it. I inquired with another collector and he confirmed it was a legit model variance from Federal Signal. From what he knew, it was only produced for a short period of time upon complaints of poor side warning on the alley light Aerodynics. Definitely is not a Frankenbar as everything has been professionally installed with correct wiring and fasteners. It is a model 24MEAH-4Z. It features Jetstrobe/FB2 like alley lights and a solenoid to control the primary warning rotators.
The holes for a "normal" alley light assembly are there/punched but have no threads, indicating that there have never been any installed and removed. I checked over all my other older Aerodynics and did not find the same mounting holes for the square alley lights as seen here, BUT I did find them on my original LAPD 24EAH-T-2Z model AeroDynic. This AeroDynic also has a solenoid installed for the rotators as well as a small gauge wiring harness for lighting controls. This indicates to me that this light bar was used in conjunction with a siren/light controller of some sort. Who used this type of control ? I also noticed the configuration of the wiring harness/motor location on the driver's side front. It also has a TS-200 speaker installed.
Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. I do have one image that was sent to me from a movie shot apparently. View attachment 222875View attachment 222876View attachment 222877View attachment 222878View attachment 222879View attachment 222880View attachment 222881View attachment 222882View attachment 222883View attachment 222884
Ridunculous Variation... Eric, that is very interesting, though. "Whom ever" department used this must have a very close relationship with Federal Signal if they went that far out of their way to modify an AeroDynic to this extent for just one, (POLICE-FIRE), Department. NYPD & FDNY come to mind... I hope this inspires to a solution!

ERIC6913

May 29, 2010
California
Joseph,
Back then, Times were different. In a good way when it comes to Federal Signal imo. Federal was a private company and their customer service was excellent. You could call them with special requests and they would try their best to accommodate you. If you were a large client, even more so. Remember......a happy customer is a repeat customer. Heck I remember having my own personal account with Federal back in those times! Now, times are much different. Customer service has changed with these big corporations and not in a good way. Just ask anyone who currently deals with them lol. But yes I am happy to have added another variant to my collection!

Aug 13, 2021
CT
I'm under the impression also this was an LASD bar due to it being a medium length model much like the LASD had on some of their Malibu's and LTD's in the 80s. The LAPD always used the full sized model.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.