LAPD Responding

firedude

Apr 6, 2011
NY
Have LAPD vars always had LED corner and tail lights? Also, I've never seen a LAPD car with a lightbar and Dash light together. Anyone from the area can fill me in?

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
That might be a test car...They had HLFs before, they might be making a switch to corner LEDs. Taillights have been like that for a while. FedSig Arjents have been the norm since they switched to LED bars, also that unit has a license plate reader on the passenger side of the roof. You will never see a car with a dash light and a lightbar. Slicktops have one dash light above the rear view mirror where half flashes blue and the other half steady red, and maybe a HLF or the new Hideaway LEDs.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
got_ygurt said:
anyone know which hideaways those are?

I'm guessing, by the flash pattern, they are the axixtech tri's AKA fed sig rebrands them, but i can't remember what they call them.

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
If they don't normally do dash light and lightbar, it may have been a slicktop at some point, then a lightbar added. Maybe CRASH converted to patrol or something? I'm not in LA so just asking.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
RolnCode3 said:
If they don't normally do dash light and lightbar, it may have been a slicktop at some point, then a lightbar added. Maybe CRASH converted to patrol or something? I'm not in LA so just asking.

I'm guessing that, or just a test car for something? Or the shops got bored and put a dash light there for the fun of it, lol.

chono

Jun 5, 2010
Midwest
Fast LT1 said:
I'm guessing, by the flash pattern, they are the axixtech tri's AKA fed sig rebrands them, but i can't remember what they call them.

This.

It is a rebrand for Fed Sig. That is all LAPD seems to use lately.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
RolnCode3 said:
If they don't normally do dash light and light bar, it may have been a slick top at some point, then a light bar added. Maybe CRASH converted to patrol or something? I'm not in LA so just asking.

Might have been a dick car converted. One of the past chiefs put the detectives in marked slick top cars than only had a steady-burn mirror light. It was done to increase visibility, but the detectives hated them. I think they are steadily going back to unmarked cars, so maybe the marked units have been up-fitted with light bars and given to patrol. Just a guess, anyway. The detectives called them "Shamus" (the killer whale)

Last time I was in L.A. I saw one busting through the intersection of 8th and Flower downtown. That was a few years ago. I will be there in May so maybe I can get some pics.

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
jswwjw said:
Its a car from the show Southland?

No. It's real LAPD. The only difference between SouthLAnd and real LAPD is their lightbars, the tv show has liberties with no steady burn blue and red, real LAPD has FedSig Arjents with steady blue and red heads in front.

Uman18

Jun 2, 2010
Port Hueneme, CA
They have had front corner LED's for a few years now. RED/BLUE and in the tail lights and run Federal Signal equipment....dont know about the RVM light.

LASD is now running LED's on the the side of the push bumpers for intersection warning but don't know if they have corner LED/s, haven't seen a unit run code.

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
firedude said:
Have LAPD vars always had LED corner and tail lights? Also, I've never seen a LAPD car with a lightbar and Dash light together. Anyone from the area can fill me in?

Anyone know if that is one or two laws on each side in the rear.......... seems pretty bright considering there is no reflector in that part of the taillight ..

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
StEaLtH2 said:
Anyone know if that is one or two laws on each side in the rear.......... seems pretty bright considering there is no reflector in that part of the taillight ..

No, It's a dual dashlight in place of the mirror with the mirror placed on back of housing. The way they have been doing it for a long time...

[Broken External Image]:http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/lafd55/lapd196.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt272/lafd55/lapd250.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
lafd55 said:
No, It's a dual dashlight in place of the mirror with the mirror placed on back of housing. The way they have been doing it for a long time...

Not sure that's relevant. StEaLtH2 was asking about the tail lights.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Wow, I must have been on drugs when I read that post, lol... Sorry for that, here is the info your were looking for... They are TIR style hideaway heads manufactured by Code3. They are used in their Crown Vic and Chargers. I could not find any info on Code3's website but did find some info on SWPS...

Here is the Link to SWPS:

Code3 LED Front Hideaway System for Crown Victoria - Red & Blue from SWPS.com

Here is a link to pictures of LAPD cars for a better view, mind you that the cars on the top of the page have them with older vehicles farther down.:

LAPD Police Car Web Site

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
RescueWV said:
Not sure that's relevant. StEaLtH2 was asking about the tail lights.

Thanks guys.. i was referring to the rear end.. pretty effective those units are...

I have seen vics up here with strobes in that portion of the light and thought it looked horrible.. those tir3s really do well there.. :cool:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.