Lapel Mic's and Lapel Pins

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
First question, how does everyone attach their lapel mic? I have seen it on the epaulets and on the buttoned top portion of the front of the shirt. My issue is that when I clip it to my epaulets, it's uncomfortbale and pulls on my shoulder. When it's on the front, it's comfortable, but any movement I make rips it off my shirt. Wearing a seatbelt also affects both ways. I found these, but don't know how well they work. Anyone tried them?

Second question, lapel pins...the clasp on the back falls off and I lose them, then the actual pin falls off, then I have to buy new ones and the problem never gets solved. Also when I pull off my seatbelt, if it's hooked to the clasp, it pops them off and is just a pain. This is what I'm talking about that keeps falling off. Has anyone tried these or these? Also found these and they look a little more "sturdy".

For reference purposes, we wear Flying Cross shirts.

200849.jpg

Lseg810

Sep 21, 2012
CT
What I use to do is use a key ring through one of the holes in the chest area where you button the shirt (where I found it comfortable). That worked great and the mic would never fall off. I have see some people use what what posted in the previous post but I have not tried it. My shirt now has a built in mic tab in the chest area.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
I've been wearing uniforms since my freshman year in high school in 1962. Four years of military high school, ROTC in college, US Army, EMS 1972 to the present, and 27.5 years in uniform for my career job. Nothing is going to hold those pins in place when you snag them on a seat belt or whatever and then tug with your normal body strength.

The best solution I ever found was to drop the pins and go with sewn on stuff for duty gear. Our current EMS uniform is all sewn on patches except for some collar brass and an optional name tag. I skip the name tag and collar brass for every day duty and just have my ID card on a chain or collar clip. The squad and EMT patches are plenty. I have some sew-on name tags that I may add. But that solution may not be acceptable to many agencies.

One trick we used a lot was to cut a piece of cardboard to shape behind the pins on the front. They hold the pins tight to the shirt so there is less chance of them snagging on a seat belt. And they look a lot neater, too.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
Steve0625 said:
I've been wearing uniforms since my freshman year in high school in 1962. Four years of military high school, ROTC in college, US Army, EMS 1972 to the present, and 27.5 years in uniform for my career job. Nothing is going to hold those pins in place when you snag them on a seat belt or whatever and then tug with your normal body strength.

The best solution I ever found was to drop the pins and go with sewn on stuff for duty gear. Our current EMS uniform is all sewn on patches except for some collar brass and an optional name tag. I skip the name tag and collar brass for every day duty and just have my ID card on a chain or collar clip. The squad and EMT patches are plenty. I have some sew-on name tags that I may add. But that solution may not be acceptable to many agencies.

One trick we used a lot was to cut a piece of cardboard to shape behind the pins on the front. They hold the pins tight to the shirt so there is less chance of them snagging on a seat belt. And they look a lot neater, too.

+1 for these methods. I don't have anywhere near the years, nor kind, of service this gentleman does, however I have "borrowed" these ideas from other guys I know personally.

Leave the shiny things for ceremonies, otherwise they tend to end up disappearing.

Phoenix_Rising

Lifetime VIP Donor
Feb 27, 2012
Berks County PA
Double plus one on the cardboard. For those who have never used that method, its by and far the easiest way to keep your brass right and tight

Last edited by a moderator:

RolnCode3

May 21, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Over the shoulder, under the epaulet, and clipped at the top closed button. If the mic comes unclipped, it just hangs at about the same height and just swings a little bit. It won't wind up dragging on the ground or anything. I just switched to polos and rethinking the choice because of this.

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
Let me guess, you have one of the newer Motorola RSMs. The cords on those seem to be a lots stronger as far as trying to coil back up. I have one and much more so then our Kenwoods or older motos then try and pull back and unclip.

jswwjw

Dec 10, 2010
Southern Indiana
Tacktical Mike Klip (probably around 11.00) lifetime guarentee, been wearing one for years now. clips to button on shirt, pocket and swivels for different microphones.

acotradeco.com_uploads_images_products_0001_9585_product_shot_square_tmkphotolarge_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Lseg810 said:
What I use to do is use a key ring through one of the holes in the chest area where you button the shirt (where I found it comfortable). That worked great and the mic would never fall off. I have see some people use what what posted in the previous post but I have not tried it. My shirt now has a built in mic tab in the chest area.
I will give this a shot tonight for a quick fix!

Steve0625 said:

First off, thank you for your service. Second, I have asked everyone I know and everyone says there is no way, and I'm convinced! lol. I give the cardboard a shot, makes quite a bit of sense. As much as I would love to have sewn on "brass", it's not an option. We are required to wear both collar brass, no exceptions. They are very hardcore on uniforms here. However, I will suggest it.

JPolston said:
Leave the shiny things for ceremonies, otherwise they tend to end up disappearing.
As said above, if I could, I would.

Hoff said:
Bookmarked!

RolnCode3 said:
Over the shoulder, under the epaulet, and clipped at the top closed button. If the mic comes unclipped, it just hangs at about the same height and just swings a little bit. It won't wind up dragging on the ground or anything. I just switched to polos and rethinking the choice because of this.
That's exactly where I wear mine now. It's a KMC-25 mic, and the clip isn't very "clippy" if you will.''

Cam said:
Let me guess, you have one of the newer Motorola RSMs. The cords on those seem to be a lots stronger as far as trying to coil back up. I have one and much more so then our Kenwoods or older motos then try and pull back and unclip.
Kenwood TK-290 with a KMC-25 mic. You would'nt happen to be in the Camden County area, judging by your username, would you?

jswwjw said:
Tacktical Mike Klip (probably around 11.00) lifetime guarentee, been wearing one for years now. clips to button on shirt, pocket and swivels for different microphones.

acotradeco.com_uploads_images_products_0001_9585_product_shot_square_tmkphotolarge_large.jpg
Bookmarked!

FireEMSPolice said:
Been using this for years..no issues

Search | bostonleather.com
Also bookmarked!

Thank you everyone who has commented! Definitely got a lot out of this!

mcgourtymd

May 20, 2010
Cincinnati, OH, USA
calebsheltonmed23:

I am in the same boat you're in uniform wise with a strict uniform policy (state sheriff association mandate as sanctioned by law) requiring all the nice little points of flair so to speak, including the brass buttons that have to be put on and taken off when cleaning the shirts.

As for the "dammits" ... you know the little pins clasps that cause you to say dammit when one comes off ... I agree with the cardboard recommendation and I use the kind that has a urethane material surrounded by brass. This style seems to almost act like glue and really holds on, but realize there is only so much that can be done.

As for the shoulder mic, we use the Motorola public safety mics with straight cords and the department requires us to wear it on the shoulder from the front; ie. not wrapped around the back. On my old shirts the epaulets were located so that they were just forward of the top of my shoulder and combined with a tailored shirt I just clipped the mic to the epaulet with no problems. My newer shirts have the epaulets directly on the shoulder if not a tad to the rear and I have found that the Tactical Mic Clip works extremely well. For me it puts the mic in a very comfortable location and the mic is only coming off if someone rips the epaulet off with the mic. I have also worn the Boston Leather shoulder strap and found that for me it sat too low. A quick remedy for me was to cut the strap just below the button and then cut a new notch for the mic clip. This works too but ultimately I prefer the Tactical Mic Clip.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
calebsheltonmed23 said:
Kenwood TK-290 with a KMC-25 mic. You would'nt happen to be in the Camden County area, judging by your username, would you?

No southwest part of the state for the most part but currently working out of state on a project.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
mcgourtymd said:
calebsheltonmed23:

I am in the same boat you're in uniform wise with a strict uniform policy (state sheriff association mandate as sanctioned by law) requiring all the nice little points of flair so to speak, including the brass buttons that have to be put on and taken off when cleaning the shirts.

As for the "dammits" ... you know the little pins clasps that cause you to say dammit when one comes off ... I agree with the cardboard recommendation and I use the kind that has a urethane material surrounded by brass. This style seems to almost act like glue and really holds on, but realize there is only so much that can be done.

As for the shoulder mic, we use the Motorola public safety mics with straight cords and the department requires us to wear it on the shoulder from the front; ie. not wrapped around the back. On my old shirts the epaulets were located so that they were just forward of the top of my shoulder and combined with a tailored shirt I just clipped the mic to the epaulet with no problems. My newer shirts have the epaulets directly on the shoulder if not a tad to the rear and I have found that the Tactical Mic Clip works extremely well. For me it puts the mic in a very comfortable location and the mic is only coming off if someone rips the epaulet off with the mic. I have also worn the Boston Leather shoulder strap and found that for me it sat too low. A quick remedy for me was to cut the strap just below the button and then cut a new notch for the mic clip. This works too but ultimately I prefer the Tactical Mic Clip.

Unreal they tell you how to wear the shoulder mic rather then whats comfortable for you. I dont believe the Buckeye State Sheriffs Assn (BSSA) says anything about that. Our area Deputy's wear them in all kinds of ways. Your agency also tell you how to position the seat and steering wheel in the cruiser?

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
mcgourtymd said:
calebsheltonmed23:

Yeah about in the same boat!! It defintely sucks that we can't wear things the way we want. And it does help!

Cam said:
No southwest part of the state for the most part but currently working out of state on a project.
Gotcha...figured you were in that area!

Thanks again everyone! I believe I'll be ordering the TMK and see how it works for me.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
The rubber lapel pin backers are the cats meow. I have ONE pin with a rubber backer and it's the only one that never falls off.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
The only tactically correct location for a radio mic is on the front of your uniform shirt, centered below your chin. You can speak over the mic and maintain eye contact w/ whomever you are dealing with. On the shoulder, you have to turn your head. If you have a straight cord, you a out of luck, but they can be worn in the same manner with a bit of creativity.

The best way is to wear the mic where i have mentioned in conjunction with a earpiece.

I don't wear collar brass, thank gawd, so I have no real answers for you there. When I did, the standard backings were sufficient, but I did use a rubber version with great success as well.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
11b101abn said:
On the shoulder, you have to turn your head.

I have never had to turn my head to speak in to the mic.

We had this one gal working for us where she would literally turn her head and twist her body. I walked up on her and told her that she was prime for an assault for doing that and why and she stopped.

Jan 4, 2012
Central, Florida
jswwjw said:

I was in the same boat had the mic on my shoulder, came off in situation. Had it on top of chest popped off when I ran. Try the TMK and never had it fall off again. Sometimes it's a pain to get the clip on over a button but it works.

Well worth the $$

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
11b101abn said:
The only tactically correct location for a radio mic is on the front of your uniform shirt, centered below your chin. You can speak over the mic and maintain eye contact w/ whomever you are dealing with. On the shoulder, you have to turn your head. If you have a straight cord, you a out of luck, but they can be worn in the same manner with a bit of creativity.

The best way is to wear the mic where i have mentioned in conjunction with a earpiece.

I don't wear collar brass, thank gawd, so I have no real answers for you there. When I did, the standard backings were sufficient, but I did use a rubber version with great success as well.

FireEMSPolice said:

We had this one gal working for us where she would literally turn her head and twist her body. I walked up on her and told her that she was prime for an assault for doing that and why and she stopped.

shues said:
For excellent pin backs, use the kind with the set screw:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.flyingtigerssurplus.com/product-images/lg/SPG01_lg.jpg

5309 said:
I was in the same boat had the mic on my shoulder, came off in situation. Had it on top of chest popped off when I ran. Try the TMK and never had it fall off again. Sometimes it's a pain to get the clip on over a button but it works.

Well worth the $$
I will be getting one next paycheck!

Thanks guys

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Unless Class A/B uniforms are required for a special circumstance, I prefer to weat a uniform polo or a Class B (with embroidery/patches only) with no lapel pins, badge, ribbons, name plates, etc. I hate having things poke me & worrying if the backing of the pins or ribbons is going to fall off. Badge is a different story for me (b/c I hate having it get stuck on my bunker suspenders), but badge & nameplate shouldn't be a problem poking you (since most LEOs wear vests underneath), but it's still always an item to be snagged

As for the lapel mic, I have tried a variety of methods over the years:

A) over the opposite shoulder and clipped on the center of the button down

B) under the arm & clipped on the center of the button down

C) through the shoulder epaulet but not clipped (dangles slightly but doesn't go anywhere b/c it's attached by the shoulder strap)

D) under the arm and clipped on the same-side shoulder

I like A best but usually only use it if I'm doing event standby b/c I hate having the cord across my back when I sit down & end up taking it all off everytime I get in/out of the truck. Although some extra cord does dangle a bit more, I think D is the most comfortable for an officer getting in/out of the car all day. I don't like any of those shoulder strap extension accessories, b/c the mic dangles more than it would if directly attached to your epaulet

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
pdk9 said:
Unless Class A/B uniforms are required for a special circumstance, I prefer to weat a uniform polo or a Class B (with embroidery/patches only) with no lapel pins, badge, ribbons, name plates, etc. I hate having things poke me & worrying if the backing of the pins or ribbons is going to fall off. Badge is a different story for me (b/c I hate having it get stuck on my bunker suspenders), but badge & nameplate shouldn't be a problem poking you (since most LEOs wear vests underneath), but it's still always an item to be snagged

As for the lapel mic, I have tried a variety of methods over the years:

A) over the opposite shoulder and clipped on the center of the button down

B) under the arm & clipped on the center of the button down

C) through the shoulder epaulet but not clipped (dangles slightly but doesn't go anywhere b/c it's attached by the shoulder strap)

D) under the arm and clipped on the same-side shoulder

I like A best but usually only use it if I'm doing event standby b/c I hate having the cord across my back when I sit down & end up taking it all off everytime I get in/out of the truck. Although some extra cord does dangle a bit more, I think D is the most comfortable for an officer getting in/out of the car all day. I don't like any of those shoulder strap extension accessories, b/c the mic dangles more than it would if directly attached to your epaulet

I wish I could pick, trust me. Polos in the summer, class B in the winter. No option as to whether we can or not. If we get caught without we get wrote up. Also no headwear (i.e. ball caps) unless something is falling from the sky,such as rain, snow, etc. Very very strict uniform policy. And as to the lapel mic, found a great position for it. I wear the radio on my left side since I'm RH, and the mic cord goes under my left arm to the top button and stays there. Pretty well option B if I understand you correctly.

11b101abn

Jun 10, 2010
Georgia, United States
FireEMSPolice said:

You would be in the minority, then.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
The old timers don't even wear the shoulder mics. A lot of them wear them on their belt and key up without taking them off. Dispatchers hate it. But the Motorola xts' have some pretty sensitive mics!

I keep eyeing that tactical mic clip (the plastic one) I think it looks the best out of all of them.

Currently I just wear it on the epaulet with the cord to the back. Keeps the cord out of the way during situations. On some of my uniform shirts where the epaulets naturally fall behind my shoulder I will wear the cord to the front. Offsetting it helps balance the mic with its weight so it doesn't tug as much. If that makes any sense. For us smaller guys at least.

Those rubber pin backs work much better than the metal originals. Some people swear by pencil erasers too. But I still have the rubber ones fall off and usually find them in my shirt. For neatness of the pins a lot of people will use a piece of cardboard. I prefer to use some of those store loyalty cards. They are a plentiful source of flat credit card sized plastic. (Cut them to size needed). Galls and probably other similar vendors sell stuff that's plastic like my card idea but hole punched all over for pins to poke through. Its also cut to size. I'll stick with free.

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
FireEMSPolice said:
Wonder why the Columbus PD officer in the middle is wearing her badge on the wrong side, yet the Sheriff's Deputy is correct?

When developing/printing pictures, if the photo negative is loaded wrong, it creates a reverse image. If a digital pic, either a camera error or the person placing the image flipped it to make it fit with the particular theme.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
FireEMSPolice said:
Unreal they tell you how to wear the shoulder mic rather then whats comfortable for you. I dont believe the Buckeye State Sheriffs Assn (BSSA) says anything about that. Our area Deputy's wear them in all kinds of ways. Your agency also tell you how to position the seat and steering wheel in the cruiser?

OSHP does the same thing...they have the option of the little extender tab thing, but the mic still hangs from the epaulet, just a few inches lower. Mine fits between the top of the zipper and the 2nd button of my uniform shirt and stays very well. Motorola APX6000 public safety mic.

Klench fasteners hold pins better than regular clasps do. They're some kind of polymer that seals around the pin.

Or...you could do like I did for the wife (dispatcher for the county SO, has to wear all the shiny buttons and crap) - order another name tag, and specify a "badge" style pin, with the swivel-catch thing. THAT won't pop off if it gets snagged by the seatbelt.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.