Laptop Docking, GPS pass, LTE pass questions

RecElect

Jan 26, 2011
Loveland, Colorado
So, We have been tasked with utilizing the RF passthroughs on havis docks to get better coverage of LTE, and GPS.

But we are admittedly novice at this, however we have not been getting straight answers from Panasonic, and these departments IT guys dont seem to know the ins and outs of these systems and docks.

So Problem is, Every time we dock the computer, The gps stops functioning.

This happens with Panasonic M1, G1, and cf-31.. as well as a Dell Latitude rugged.

It has claimed they have set the BIOS setting correctly, but I have not verified.

We spoke with Panasonic, and the tech support guy said that the computers are not "Hot Dock able" meaning that they would have to reboot the computer every time they docked or un-docked the computers.

This seems ridiculous to me, and the last round of tests I am not positive we ever rebooted after docking.

Next,  i noticed all these tablets and laptops have the Integrated 4g WITH GPS cards in them, whereas there is an Option for a DEDICATED GPS card as well (which none of these devices have).

This begs the question, when the card is an all together unit, do they actually split the antennas to the 2 rf pass throughs? one for lte and one for GPS? or do we need a dedicated GPS to even be able to utilize and external Gps antenna.

Next problem is if it is not hot dockable, and we get this gps figured out, when they remove their laptop, will they not have LTE coverage or gps??

It seems crazy to me that the computer cannot switch between external and internal antennas when docked- un-docked...

Anybody have any incite on this?

What we are trying to do is: run GPS for tracking of the computer, and AVL, plus have coverage on 4GLTE. They do not have WWAN on these, but will have WIFI at the station to upload video. Anyone have any better solution?

thanks!

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
You can hot dock. We are a Dell and getac rugged partner. You need the havis dock driver installed which will probably require the it dept to do if they have it blocked from allowing installs from non-it windows logins. Depending on how it has the permissions most of the time they self install but if they have it really locked down they have to manually install them.

Here is a link to the drivers

http://customers.havis.com/index.php/support/docking-drivers

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PJD642 and MEVS06

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.