Late Model 17 dome interchangeability question

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Gentleman/Ladies;

Twice now, in as many months, I have come into contact with two separate red domes being utilized on the later/larger Model 17's which have no markings on them (F1). In speaking with a colleague, we can't seem to be able to decipher the reasoning. I looked through my supply of the domes I stock and without digging too deep, they all seem to have the F1 designation.

My question is this: Are these the domes from another manufacturer such as Baader-Brown or Dominion Auto and they match so precisely as to be interchangeable with the 17 domes or are these 2 domes from an early or late production run by Federal as not to be made by the common dome manufacturer that Federal utilized, whom utilized the "F" designation, molded into the top of all of the rest of their domes?

Other than the missing "F1" moniker, the color seems to be a bit lighter, not that that means anything but might help in determining the ACTUAL manufacturer or date or...

Has anyone else run into this and what gives? Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks in advance and let the answers flow!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Have not seen pics, but yes, entirely possible. Dominion made a dome the same size as the original, smaller version Beacon Ray, but not the larger size. I can't tell you the size of Baeder Brown.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I didn't take any pics. Basically imagine a Large Model 17 dome w/o an F1 at the top...

Did Federal change their source for their domes about that same time and start applying the "F" monikers? Is that how everything of theirs (about that time) got the designation and is that a Federal thing or the dome manufacturer's designation? It would make more sense that the manufacturer used that marking to differentiate Federal's stuff from the rest...

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Dominion made 2 types of these domes. Older ones are darker blue, almost purple, and marked "saf-t-ray" on top. Later models are lighter blue and marked "Dominion auto " Both are the same smaller beacon ray size.

Reactions: dmathieu

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Dominion made 2 types of these domes. Older ones are darker blue, almost purple, and marked "saf-t-ray" on top. Later models are lighter blue and marked "Dominion auto " Both are the same smaller beacon ray size.
I fondly remember seeing Allis Chalmers M100B and Caterpiller 120 road graders with the old dark blue Dominion Auto beacons clearing snow back in the early 1970s.

Joe Dorgan

Mar 14, 2017
Tucson Az.
Gentleman/Ladies;

Twice now, in as many months, I have come into contact with two separate red domes being utilized on the later/larger Model 17's which have no markings on them (F1). In speaking with a colleague, we can't seem to be able to decipher the reasoning. I looked through my supply of the domes I stock and without digging too deep, they all seem to have the F1 designation.

My question is this: Are these the domes from another manufacturer such as Baader-Brown or Dominion Auto and they match so precisely as to be interchangeable with the 17 domes or are these 2 domes from an early or late production run by Federal as not to be made by the common dome manufacturer that Federal utilized, whom utilized the "F" designation, molded into the top of all of the rest of their domes?

Other than the missing "F1" moniker, the color seems to be a bit lighter, not that that means anything but might help in determining the ACTUAL manufacturer or date or...

Has anyone else run into this and what gives? Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks in advance and let the answers flow!
Badder Browns domes are thinner and shorter than F-1 domes and are not Polycarbonet. athough the do have the same width, the lip is even smaller. And they show no stamp or marking .The dominion have a slight lighter pigment in the colors however are almost identical in specs . I hope this helps in your seach for answers

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I have 3 model 17's and a 175 and only one is marked F1, the clear dome on a 1971 mod 175. All have original domes as far as I know. The Amber is on a 1956 mod 17 that I bought from someone is Canada, it is a Saf-T-Ray 357-1. The Red is on a mid 1960's military 17 and doesn't have any markings, and my Blue is on a 1967 mod 17 with no markings.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Saf-T-Ray is Dominion dome possibly on a Model 17.
Most of the larger version were marked F1. Very early larger had no markings.
Early 17s had smaller version dome, which were unmarked.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.