Latest Craigslist find

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Been abit since I did any searching, These lights are all from Virginville Fire Co, got a tour of the firehall when I was up there they have some nice equipment.

I came back with some Aerodynic domes, an LP6000 with stingrays, and 2 MX7000s.

I went for the LP6000 and the MX7000s followed me home.

Once I pull them out of the truck I will see if I can get better pictures. I need to get a wiring schema for the LP6000 the 2 MX's will are probably already sold to another user.

20140307_172558.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Pete L. said:
NICE, Rob
Looks like you found an MX bar with the real long, hard to find , speaker sections.

"The rooting dog finds the bone"

-Pete

Interesting, I don't know a whole lot about the MX series lights other then the fact that everyone has them for sale lately.

I always liked the intersection lights, and I still think its a great all purpose bar. Problem now is everyone wants LED...

Anything in particular I should be looking for on these MX's? the all light has 5 rotators, intersections, takedowns, and some sort of rear flashing lights. The Other bar is identical except for only having 4 rotators rather then 5, and some additional lighting on the lower levels.

Lyle

Oct 28, 2012
Maine
Great find, Rob.........

The MX isn't the 'worst' Code 3 to deal with - I've found it almost impossible to find parts/pieces for my Force 4 XL !!!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Well I finally got off my duff and pulled them out of the truck.

LP6000 up first

2 Fast inner rotators, 2 slower outboard rotators. 2 stingrays. Abit dirty but not too bad. Domes have some yellowing but other then that, nothing broken or scratched.

And the bar has its feet.

I need to locate the screws to secure the domes to the frame, and the speaker cover to the frame. If anyone has any leads PM me.

Stingrays appear just to oscilate to the rear, tried getting the other functions to work and its a no go. need to do some other testing first before I decide to replace.

This is the type of bar I had on my POV back in the mid-late 90's I'd like to clean it up and find some filters maybe mix it up abit.

20140309_155121.jpg

20140309_155132.jpg

20140309_155511.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
The MX7000s are both setup rather differently.

First is the longer of the 2 measures 52", long speaker grille, and a speaker still inside. Its got 4 rotators all spin same speed, 2 forward facing takedowns, and intersections sweeps with red filters. I don't see any rear facing lighting at all. other then the rotators.

2nd is the all light MX7000 48", Has 5 rotators, 2 standard on each side, and 1 Fast in the middle. 2 forward facing takedowns, intersection sweeps and 2 rear facing lights with amber filters.

It also appears that the mirror setup on the fast rotator points to the rear of the bar.

Both have their feet and several feet of wiring.

I believe they both are spoken for, but if it falls through they both may end up in the classifieds.

20140309_161001.jpg

20140309_162033.jpg

DalmatProd

Dec 26, 2011
USA - FL
Nice grab!

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Started working on cleaning up the LP6000

Pretty obvious which end got the plastix treatment.

Eventually they'll get the powerball and novus treatment. But its a start and probably a good example of what 5 min and some plastix can do.

20140309_181012.jpg

Stampeed Valkyrie said:
Stingrays appear just to oscilate to the rear, tried getting the other functions to work and its a no go. need to do some other testing first before I decide to replace.

Somewhere in my shop I have a diagram of the Stingray wiring, and how to make it work. If I can't find that, I have two 6000's on the shelf with Stingrays in them; I can open the one that has a wiring harness and 'remind myself' how they work. I do remember that it was kind of wonky...that's why I made the diagram. I vaguely remember that you have to have power to two poles to make certain things happen (as in, power to one pole makes the light oscillate to the rear, and ADDING power to either front or 360 makes that function happen, but you have to keep power to the rear). I may have the specific poles confused, but I remember that it is something wierd like that. It may take me a few days to dig it up...just started nightshift and I'm kinda doing the zombie thing.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Thanks for the heads up.

with this information I was able to get 2 of the 3 functions to work.

Slow oscillate rear and fast oscillate front both work.

I am gonna polish up these domes, and then see if I can locate some filters.

Duster said:
Somewhere in my shop I have a diagram of the Stingray wiring, and how to make it work. If I can't find that, I have two 6000's on the shelf with Stingrays in them; I can open the one that has a wiring harness and 'remind myself' how they work. I do remember that it was kind of wonky...that's why I made the diagram. I vaguely remember that you have to have power to two poles to make certain things happen (as in, power to one pole makes the light oscillate to the rear, and ADDING power to either front or 360 makes that function happen, but you have to keep power to the rear). I may have the specific poles confused, but I remember that it is something wierd like that. It may take me a few days to dig it up...just started nightshift and I'm kinda doing the zombie thing.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Pete L. said:
NICE, Rob
Looks like you found an MX bar with the real long, hard to find , speaker sections.

"The rooting dog finds the bone"

-Pete

The 16" MX7000 speaker grille is nothing special compared to the rare 22" MX7000 speaker grille:

ai.imgur.com_utphluR.jpg

Jun 18, 2013
PA
So I hit the LP6000 domes up with a powerball and some Novus. Also got some blue filters thanks to Shawn L.

Wanted to get some pics in daylight, took it out and the Sun is starting to set. Still playing around with filter options, currently BCRxBCR in front, and RABxRAB in rear.

20140318_184316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
guys if someone will need maybe long MX speaker complete chrome housing let me now i have 2 complete pieces.

like on the pic.

Pete L. said:
Holy Crap, you could put 3 or 4 speakers in there.

Isn't that the frame that you can intall 2 all-light center sections on ??

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Stampeed Valkyrie said:
So I hit the LP6000 domes up with a powerball and some Novus. Also got some blue filters thanks to Shawn L.
Wanted to get some pics in daylight, took it out and the Sun is starting to set. Still playing around with filter options, currently BCRxBCR in front, and RABxRAB in rear.

I had one of the early LP bars that only had the 4 rotators and mirrors. It was a special at Galls at the time. We had gotten a '76 Type II Chevy van thru military surplus. It had front and rear tunnels and a red 184 beacon on the high top, and it was mounted far enough back that the LP went on the front of the high top with no problem. We ordered the bar with alternating red and blue filters: red/blue, blue/red. And then we mounted a Q and a pair of CP100 speakers powered by an SVP-SA400 siren. Made a for a nice response package. We only paid $600 for the truck, so we almost had more in the lights and siren than the vehicle! :p

In addition to my standby ambulance service, I was also president of our VFD. One night right after we installed the LP bar I had to respond from town back into the county. Since a lot of West Texas is flat, even up around the Lubbock area (which is as far north as you can get and still be considered West Texas), my chief and some of our firemen could see that ambulance from a very long way off. When I got rid of the van, I kept the bar and donated it to the department. Don't know if it's still in use or not.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Unfortunately my story is not quite as grand......My old bar was a bit of a mixmaster, when I got it back in 1995 it was given to me by a fellow VFD member. I remember it as a basic 4 rotator no mirror bar, with blue beater domes with the take down cutouts in it. I ended up finding a clear dome and some blue filters, so I polished up the blue on the drivers side, and put the clear on the passenger side. I ran with this bar until I went to college and then returned it to the firehall back in 2002 when I went inactive. I knew who had it, but strobes were all the rage then and it was promptly replaced. If I could find it, that would be awesome.

Skip Goulet said:
I had one of the early LP bars that only had the 4 rotators and mirrors. It was a special at Galls at the time. We had gotten a '76 Type II Chevy van thru military surplus. It had front and rear tunnels and a red 184 beacon on the high top, and it was mounted far enough back that the LP went on the front of the high top with no problem. We ordered the bar with alternating red and blue filters: red/blue, blue/red. And then we mounted a Q and a pair of CP100 speakers powered by an SVP-SA400 siren. Made a for a nice response package. We only paid $600 for the truck, so we almost had more in the lights and siren than the vehicle! :p

In addition to my standby ambulance service, I was also president of our VFD. One night right after we installed the LP bar I had to respond from town back into the county. Since a lot of West Texas is flat, even up around the Lubbock area (which is as far north as you can get and still be considered West Texas), my chief and some of our firemen could see that ambulance from a very long way off. When I got rid of the van, I kept the bar and donated it to the department. Don't know if it's still in use or not.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Stampeed Valkyrie said:
Unfortunately my story is not quite as grand......My old bar was a bit of a mixmaster, when I got it back in 1995 it was given to me by a fellow VFD member. I remember it as a basic 4 rotator no mirror bar, with blue beater domes with the take down cutouts in it. I ended up finding a clear dome and some blue filters, so I polished up the blue on the drivers side, and put the clear on the passenger side. I ran with this bar until I went to college and then returned it to the firehall back in 2002 when I went inactive. I knew who had it, but strobes were all the rage then and it was promptly replaced. If I could find it, that would be awesome.

Know what you mean, Rob. I'd like to find that old bar of mine, too, but I rarely get up to Lubbock. When I was pres. of our VFD, I also had my standby ambulance service going...and most of our firemen also worked on the ambulance. I loaned out a number of electronic sirens to some of our firemen, and have never gotten any of them back. Just can't trust anyone anymore! :no:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Pete L. said:
Holy Crap, you could put 3 or 4 speakers in there.

Isn't that the frame that you can intall 2 all-light center sections on ??

I mentioned on another thread sometime back that in 1982 we bought a '72 Type II Chevy van that came with a pair of CP100 speakers over the cab that powered a North American SI-100 siren. One of my crew chiefs pulled the N.A. and replaced it with a PA200; and he also added another pair of 100-watt speakers into the mix. That PA200 handled it, and it was the loudest thing I had heard in a long time for an electronic siren. I drove our '71 lowtop Suburban which had a Q on top, and put the N.A. siren on it with a single 100-watt speaker in the grille. Those North Americans weren't all that well known around here back then, and it freaked people out when I'd put it on the "Riot" tone with the Q on the roof howling! :yes:

Sorry it took a long week to find this info, but it wasn't where I thought it was. When I did find it, it was mostly deteriorated (handwritten notes, probably ten years old). Anyway, I DID find them, and transcribed them exactly as I wrote the notes. Here they are:

Federal Signal Stingray module (LP6000 series bars)

Instructions:

1. Mount Rotator and control box (Stingray module brain)
  2. Plug in the 4-pin plug from rotator to module
  3. Connect black Wire to 12v power (power to bulb in the rotator)
  4. Connect “RR Only” to 12v power
  5. Connect whatever rotation/oscillation mode you desire to 12v power (F Only or Full) KEEPING POWER TO THE "RR ONLY" TERMINAL

Notes:

• The above allows you to use a 3-pole switch to control (and switch) the modes ‘on the fly’.
  • If you want a single dedicated mode (such as F only as a fast oscillator), you can connect “RR only”, Black bulb power, and your mode (if not RR Only) to one power lead.

A little history regarding the "Notes" section above: My old sheriff's department ran these lightbars on our cars in the early 90's. The Stingray was hard wired for front fast only. I worked a busy interstate beat, and wanted the ability to switch the Stingray for doing traffic breaks and other instances where I needed more warning to the rear than the front. So, I did the experimenting that resulted in these notes, and put a 3-position toggle in the bottom of the lightbar on the driver's side, with the toggle sticking down under the bar right above the driver's door. Very low profile, but I could reach up from the drivers seat and toggle that switch, and change my Stingray pattern on the fly. It worked very well. And because I know someone will ask "Why didn't you just add more lighting?", the department forbade any modifications or personal equipment being mounted to the vehicles. In fact, when I turned that truck in for replacement, I forgot to remove the toggle, and Central Automotive contacted our station Auto Technician and chewed his ass for modifying the light bar. He denied any knowledge of it, and then told me to be more careful next time I wanted to f*** with my truck. I was a resident deputy with an assigned vehicle, and was doing installs for the national park in my area, so he wasn't too worried about me screwing something up, but I should have covered our butts a little better.

Just a little background...now back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Duster said:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.