Latest craigslist snag

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Got this today for $40. Pretty happy since I have been wanting one for a while. I was told that it came off of an old ambulance and was mounted on the front fender hence the reason the dome is blackened. I have a hard time buying that though since I thought the fireball was an interior only light. Anyways, here it is.

[Broken External Image]:http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/wcrs2346/DSCN0623.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/wcrs2346/DSCN0619.jpg

[Broken External Image]:http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg129/wcrs2346/DSCN0621.jpg

dakarm34

May 21, 2010
Clemmons, NC
Great find, we had them mounted exactly that way on all of our ambulances. It was our trade mark. This was at Manchester Rescue Squad in Chesterfield, VA.

MPD 818

May 25, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
It is very clean inside, does not look like it hardly got used. The gentleman that I bought it from said that it came from Federal with the dome black and at the angle needed for the fender mount. I have never heard of Federal doing that. Can anyone confirm or deny?

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Yep, Federal offered a dual Fireball option to the major ambulance manufacturers for ambulance fender use. They weren't widely used nationally, but some departments loved them and kept the concept going well after it's time period ended. The dome blackout you have pictured is correct for fender mounting.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
And I thought I saw everything! Wonder what other oddities are out there but save that for a different thread. Good find!

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
There's one on the nose of this '71 Cadi by Miller-Meteor. (First rig I ever worked in!) It came that way from the factory.

ai920.photobucket.com_albums_ad42_Steve_Collins_EROE71Cadillac.jpg

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Wouldn't it have been easier to put LED's on that '71 Caddy? :p

I bet it goes as "Rudolph" as a nickname and is prominently positioned just ahead of Santa's sleigh in the local Christmas parade!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
They were pretty prone to various breakages... and were often replaced with standard fireball lenses... a local squad did this and spray painted the back to kill the flash back.

Shadow-D

Jul 3, 2010
Adirondacks, NY
I remember some of the ambulances in my area had them, funny, I don't remember them being mounted on a mount like that. I remember them mounted directly on the flat section of the fender on Ford vans.

I could be wrong though... Wouldn't be the first time :lol:

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
Shadow-D said:
I remember them mounted directly on the flat section of the fender on Ford vans.

The volunteer squad I belonged to back in the 80's had a Ford van ambulance, I'm thinking a Wheeled Coach, with such lights. They had a Fireball shaped tapered plate, maybe and inch high at the front and 3/8 inch at the back to offset the slight slope of the Ford hood.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.