Latest grab Whelen 9308NLED Lightbar

ford-dealer

Sep 2, 2010
San Antonio
I have had my eye on this one for a few years.  It was on a local Rescue unit.  I was driving by the FD the other day, when I saw the chassis with the box dismounted out front with a FOR SALE sign on it.  I notice the Box had been remounted on a new chassis, but also noted that the new truck had a new Liberty on it.  I asked the chief if the old lightbar was for sale.  He told me that if I made a donation to the FD, I could have it.  :D

Here is the bar,  it is a 60" Whelen 9308 NLED.  It is an Ultra/Freedom frame.  It originally had a Piercer1 Oscillating center light, but I decided to add a NOS Piercer II instead.  Note it has ALL 5mm LEDs.  It is also the "Dumbest" Edge I have ever seen.  To my surprise, when I opened her up, I found that the bar is a "Direct Wire" bar which means it has NO I/O board.  It has a 8 conductor cable (Matched In Pairs Inside the Bar).  1 pair is power/ground for the LEDs, and 1 pair is for the power/ground for the piercer.  It has 2 open pairs still left inside.  Also, It should be noted that since this is a "Dumb Bar", each of the LEDs has a built in flasher, so....  it is just a random mish-mash of flashes.   

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r302_ford_dealer_Freedom1_zps93a7e904.jpg

ai147.photobucket.com_albums_r302_ford_dealer_freedom2_zps82c7d95e.jpg

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
AH HA! I remember the heavy discussion of an all 5mm bar awhile back..

I WANT A VIDEO! B)   :popcorn:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Very interesting. Please post a video of the Mish mash flash pattern. I like the bar.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
AH HA! I remember the heavy discussion of an all 5mm bar awhile back..

I WANT A VIDEO! B)   :popcorn:
Hyperjohnny had one of those w/ a stinger but it shows he's suspended. He was trying to sell his back then... I know a guy who might be able to get in touch w/ him... he had ALOT of this oddball stuff! These are pretty rare from what they were talking about.

7d9_z28

Mar 15, 2012
West Michigan
I tried talking to hyperjohnny long ago but he was kind of screwy.

Reactions: Nathan R

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
How good or bad is the output?
Here are some 5mm Gen1 leds from fedsig they used in Vistas the were supposed to be behind the same colored lens.

It's red here but changed it to blue ones and you can see our member from a good distance away better at night, but you can still see them during the day.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The bar has diffuser lenses overtop of the LEDs.   I prefer LEDs with diffuser lenses because the flash looks 'bigger' than that of an LED behind a transparent lens.   Whelen had the right idea when they designed that light bar.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
I called my buddy "Big Dan" who knows hyperjohnny. Hard guy to reach, I guess. He said it's still sitting in his warehouse and someone robbed one of the rear sections of black lens, probably for another bar. If anyone was interested, he'd dig it out and offer it for sale. Dan said he might buy it for a little less and offer it here but he won't buy it unless someone's interested, otherwise he didn't want to get stuck with it. Any takers?

Nathan R

Lifetime VIP Donor
Mar 27, 2014
USA
I called my buddy "Big Dan" who knows hyperjohnny. Hard guy to reach, I guess. He said it's still sitting in his warehouse and someone robbed one of the rear sections of black lens, probably for another bar. If anyone was interested, he'd dig it out and offer it for sale. Dan said he might buy it for a little less and offer it here but he won't buy it unless someone's interested, otherwise he didn't want to get stuck with it. Any takers?

1) For Sale items must be in the For Sale Section.

2) Forbids the type of transaction you are trying to do.

• Use of the classifieds may be restricted by administration at any time. eLightbars, it's ownership, staff and others trusted with it's operations reserve the right to restrict access to the site and it's features for any reason at any time and are not responsible for the items or transactions.
  •  
  • No third party sales. Seller must be the owner of the item for sale. Links to deals on other sites should be posted in the appropriate section/thread.

3) Hyperjohnny is currently Suspended from this site for specific reasons, and I would caution anyone from doing business with him, especially 3rd party sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tsquale and 7d9_z28

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
3) Hyperjohnny is currently Suspended from this site for specific reasons, and I would caution anyone from doing business with him, especially 3rd party sales.
Hyperjohnny would have been a great addition to this community.  I really wanted him to be a member here.  All he had to do was agree to act in a civil manner to the members here, but he declined.  He'd be welcome back with a healthy dose of attitude reducer.  I won't have people refusing to reply to members to whom they owe equipment and or being abusive to other members.  It's too bad, he had a wealth of info and equipment. Anyone in contact with him him, feel free to pass along the message that he's welcome back, he just can't abuse other members.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
 It's too bad, he had a wealth of info and equipment.
Its true, he did have good knowledge, and a few things I wanted to get my grubby little hands on as well.

Back on topic anyhow, thanks for sharing, its nice to see an example of the 'coveted item' I had linked to earlier!

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
one of New Haven's rig has these bar and it looks neat.   i think the bar is Dumb and workes off a system in the truck

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I have known John (Hyperjohnny) since maybe 1990 when I lived in Milwaukee, but when I moved to Texas in 1998 I lost contact with him as many people from there. We both sold used equipment back then and bought from the same sources. Went to many of the same trade shows like the tow truck conventions. I always knew him as a good guy and was a hard worker supporting his family. I do not know all the drama as to why he was suspended, but I know some of the details. I still only talked to him a few times over the last few years but I know hot to get a hold of him. I will pass your message along John Marcson.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
Just so everyone knows, I'm not posting or trying to sell anybody's anything, 1st, 2nd or 3rd party. I was simply asking if anyone would be interested in his bar. I got his number from my friend, Dan and will try to call him this week. If he has this bar available i'll pass-on the info about an interest in the bar. John, I'll pass-on your message as well. Dan said he's a nice guy to talk to but impossible to reach, and knows a lot! He said he's been doing this a helluva long time. I'll see what he says.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Just so everyone knows, I'm not posting or trying to sell anybody's anything, 1st, 2nd or 3rd party. I was simply asking if anyone would be interested in his bar. I got his number from my friend, Dan and will try to call him this week. If he has this bar available i'll pass-on the info about an interest in the bar. John, I'll pass-on your message as well. Dan said he's a nice guy to talk to but impossible to reach, and knows a lot! He said he's been doing this a helluva long time. I'll see what he says.
We just want need to give a general warning when this sort of thing comes up.  We also want people to be aware of the situation specifically being referenced.  We do not restrict or attempt to regulate the networking that stems from this site, only the actual deals posted.

The only people restricted from the site on a permanent basis are those connected to fraud or crimes.  I never considered hyperjohnny to be any risk to the site as far as fraud etc.  He just needs to contact me.

Reactions: tsquale

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
hyperjohnny sent me pictures of his 1st Gen Edge LED bar and said it's still available but soon to be cannibalized for the guts. I wasn't able to talk to him but he returned an email. He noted the 3X7 heads are unique in these early bars because they have 3 groups of Gen 2 LEDs-one group forward-facing and two at 45 degree angles, left and right, to achieve off-axis visibility because the heads are positioned either directly forward or directly to the side. There were no corner heads at 45 degrees. His has a stinger in the middle. After seeing it, I understand how it's set-up. I too, would like to see what it looks like in action!  

101_1798.JPG

Reactions: kitn1mcc

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
I have a factory gen1 mini liberty thats a dumb bar also ...
That's funny. I have one also. Its on a Police golf cart. Think it was donated by Whelen factory and they just tossed some Gen1s in it. None are off axis. 2 facing straight back, 2 front and 2 in the alley spots.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.