Latest toys for my visibar

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
A good paint match on those Federal sirens is Krylon Satin Pebble in the spray can. I did my PA15 Director and it was a dang near perfect match. Some of the Interceptors had a speckled finish but if you want just a solid color the satin pebble is very close.

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
Do i need a additional amplifier, to place between the Interceptor and the siren? Or is the Interceptor an amp by itself? Any help appreciated

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The PA-20A (I think it is a PA-20A and not a PA-20), is the siren that generates the sounds and amplify the power to the speaker.

The speaker is only a speaker and not a siren.

The PA-20A is rated 58 Watt (some specifications says 75 Watt) and the speaker is 58 Watt/11 Ohm.

The driver in the speaker is most probably an Atlas-Sound SD-70 and that driver is rated 58 Watt/11 Ohm.

You only need to put power to the siren amplifier and connect the speaker to the output and you hopefully get sound.

Michael

Last edited:

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
With some further inspection, i noticed the PA is actually working, but very very soft, could barley hear the siren, (its even softer then the repeating "click" sound.)

Can i use the gain control to adjust the volume, or is it only used for the Radio and Mic?, it does not seem to work for the siren.

Last edited:

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
Still not working, sure the siren does not to be grounded?
i am now powering the PA with 12v DV, red and black wires. and i hear the siren at a 0,0001 decibel

Last edited:

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Consider using something other than a computer power supply to power your siren. Switching power supplies work well enough to drive halogen lights and such, but many of them seem to make power that some electronics just can't handle very well.

Using a linear power supply would be better. Using a charged automotive battery would probably be the best.

There is a wealth of knowledge here: https://elightbars.org/forums/threads/running-12v-dc-equipment-on-120v-ac-indoors.7483/

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Shues makes a good point.. Try a battery or simply a jump pack to test.. just make sure it's properly fused!

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
A good paint match on those Federal sirens is Krylon Satin Pebble in the spray can. I did my PA15 Director and it was a dang near perfect match. Some of the Interceptors had a speckled finish but if you want just a solid color the satin pebble is very close.
The PA15 and PA15A typically had beige chassis covers, while the PA20 and PA20A had light grey covers with a white speckled finish.

u387962

May 21, 2010
Chicago, IL
Look at the fuse holder on the bottom of the siren it looks like the cap and fuse are missing. There appears to be a piece of red wire in the fuse holder body so perhaps someone has modified the wiring.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Anyone knows what type of alley light they would use and the Visibar sides? could it be a Hella fog light?
A very common manufacturer in the 70s for both takedown and alley lights was Carello.
It was used in both a round version as a rectangular version.

I do not know if Hella has been any common as alley light in the US.
The only department that I know of that used the Hella with dubble reflectors was LAPD.

Michael

Thomas1234

Oct 4, 2016
Nterhelands
Now i'm thinking of adding some extra blue lights to this bar, i have found these (NOS) grille lights, for cheap..what do you guys think...did any police corps used it like this?

$_86.JPG

Reactions: CrownVic97

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Seems to be a pair of Federal GL1 made by IPF in Japan.
A little backdraft of IPF is the side mounted lamp holder that mask of the reflector.
These lamps could use either a halogen bulb or Federal’s special strobe tube with ba15s base.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
Value?
I do not know. I only collect and do not care about value because I never sell anything.
They are from the 80s.
About the same time as the JetSonic came. The strobe tubes and power supplies was used in the JS.

Michael

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
$25 including shipping and tax or only for the lights?
Regardless, that is OK for me and in any case they are NOS so compare of what a set of lights cost today.

Michael

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.