LAW's in Fog Lamps vs. Installing Par 36 LED

ajccss

Jun 8, 2011
USA NY
Opinions, thoughts, or ideas on wither or not to install LED HAW's in fog lamps (will remove current bulb in lamp so LAW will be dead center) vs removing the whole fog lamp housing and installing Par 36 LED lights.

The current fog lamps are clear housing, and looking to install blue LED's.

Is there going to be a big difference between the two setups?

Any help is gratefully appreciated!

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
The Par36 LEDs will absolutley BLOW the LAWS out of the water. They are more expensive, but are well worth the money!

EMS_Installer

Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
CenTexPSE said:
The Par36 LEDs will absolutley BLOW the LAWS out of the water. They are more expensive, but are well worth the money!

I absolutely agree. The only time I would advocate a LAW in place of a PAR LED light is if the user wanted to retain the fog light functionality.

Another cool trick... use white LED PARs in place of the fog lights, then wire them to both function as steady burn lights or flashing lights. They wuold be too bright as driving lights, but would be great if you needed forward scene lighting or really bright forward lights in rough conditions (i.e. flood conditions or what not). Just a thought.

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
EMS_Installer said:
I absolutely agree. The only time I would advocate a LAW in place of a PAR LED light is if the user wanted to retain the fog light functionality.

Another cool trick... use white LED PARs in place of the fog lights, then wire them to both function as steady burn lights or flashing lights. They wuold be too bright as driving lights, but would be great if you needed forward scene lighting or really bright forward lights in rough conditions (i.e. flood conditions or what not). Just a thought.

How can they be brighter then fog lights?

Only asking, never saw them in real life.

CenTexPSE

May 21, 2010
Covington, TX
IMO, the only purpose that factory fog lights serve is making you look cool. They really dont throw off much "useful light"

SPMRC

Jun 10, 2011
Lubbock, Texas
CenTexPSE said:
IMO, the only purpose that factory fog lights serve is making you look cool. They really dont throw off much "useful light"

They work quite well when you have fog.

The only place I saw fog were you would need them was in Europe.

EMS_Installer

Feb 4, 2011
Portland, OR
SPMRC said:
How can they be brighter then fog lights?
Only asking, never saw them in real life.

From what I've seen, factory fog lights don't actually put out much light. The LED light is usually more intense and focused than the halogen lights. Mostly I think it's just because it's a whiter white. That too would depend on the type of LED light and the lense.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
CenTexPSE said:

I would have to disagree here. On my Explorer at least, I notice much more light to the sides and up close when the fogs are on.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
SPMRC said:
They work quite well when you have fog.
The only place I saw fog were you would need them was in Europe.[/quote

Oh geez.... here we go with the Europe...

But i agree with the other guys most fog lights dont throw out any good light i know the ones on my Ford F-150 2005 STX they dont really do much for me besides look nice.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
CenTexPSE said:

Especially the Whelen 200 series heads. Two LINZ6s one at once are just absolute insanity. If I had a Tahoe, I'd get them just for using them for fog lights. But the Par 36s are also pretty bad-ass. And the most LAWs don't have enough concentrated light in the forward area to work as fog replacements, though I've seen it done with some moderate success before (the factory reflector might provide some decent reflection).

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Rofocowboy84 said:
I would have to disagree here. On my Explorer at least, I notice much more light to the sides and up close when the fogs are on.

+1 The factory fogs lights on my Escape help out with the sides. Very useful when driving in high road kill zones. My fog lights also help see pavement marking in the rain at night...

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
factorone33 said:
Especially the Whelen 200 series heads. Two LINZ6s one at once are just absolute insanity. If I had a Tahoe, I'd get them just for using them for fog lights. But the Par 36s are also pretty bad-ass. And the most LAWs don't have enough concentrated light in the forward area to work as fog replacements, though I've seen it done with some moderate success before (the factory reflector might provide some decent reflection).

Its not the bulb, its the reflector that does the job... Most fog-lights have a "shroud" around the bulb as well as an "aimed" reflector to put the light where it needs to be... Fog-Lights aren't meant to throw light miles down the road... They are meant to throw light about 10-15 feet in front of you on the road surface...

cip

Jun 23, 2011
North Central Indiana
Rofocowboy84 said:

I would have to agree with his disagree. IMO my 2004 Explorer fog lights, killed any other fog lights I have ever seen. I still think PAR36 over LED HAW's.

Rofocowboy84

May 20, 2010
Centre County, PA
cip said:
I would have to agree with his disagree. IMO my 2004 Explorer fog lights, killed any other fog lights I have ever seen. I still think PAR36 over LED HAW's.

Maybe it's just Explorers. I have the SilverStar Ultras in my fogs, and in fact I could drive with just the fogs if I wanted....

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.