LED Brake lights

reddanny

Jun 4, 2010
ny ny
Want to hook up the LED brakelights on my honda accord to a flasher, i've seen it in another car and it looks amazing, any idea what type of flasher and how to do it.

thnks

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Others might have more info but I believe flashing brake lights are a violation of US DOT lighting standards, someone posted the citation on here or on the old board.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Eh, the legal thing is kind of a gray area. I'm HIGHLY unlikely to say anything to a volly about their lights if they are using them correctly and aren't stupid with their driving. I have an Impala now with a built in traffic backer. As long as your brake and turn signals still work as they should (meaning BOTH lights act like they would when you don't have response mode activated) you should be ok.

FFParker

Jul 17, 2010
Aiken, SC
sho-me makes a Stop turn tail flasher that should wire up straight, and has over ride for your brake lights when in Response mode.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
911 said:
any led flasher will work, but you gotta add a capacitor or a resistor inline, i forget which one

resistor. You are basically adding power draw to the circuit so the OEM flasher thinks a halogen bulb is still attached. Kinda defeats the power-saving benefits of switching to LED lights though.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
RL1 said:
Eh, the legal thing is kind of a gray area. I'm HIGHLY unlikely to say anything to a volly about their lights if they are using them correctly and aren't stupid with their driving.

I agree, my impression on reading the post wasn't for a traffic backer for responding, I envisioned something to flash/pulse the lights when he stepped on the brake because "it looked amazing" as he put it.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I've seen on some trucks with cheap LED brake lights, they flash a few times quickly and then switch to normal steady-burn. Also I've seen a car with normal incandescent brake lights once with brake lights that flashed a few times, slower than LED, (abt 200 FPM) and then switched to steady-burn. That sort of brake light flashing is explicitly allowed in at least one state (CA) but i don't know if it's legal in any other state.

If you want to have the brake lights flash as long as you have your foot on the brake, that's probably much less likely to be legal.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
nerdly_dood said:
I've seen on some trucks with cheap LED brake lights, they flash a few times quickly and then switch to normal steady-burn.
Cheap? I would not call Whelen technology cheap.. its called Signal Alert.

Whelen LED Brake/Tail/Turn Lighthead comes with 2 flash patterns including Signal-Alert pattern to enhance brake or turn signal flash activity, and dual intensity modes. When the brakes are activated, Signal-Alert provides a 4 flash burst of light in 300 millionths of second before turning steady on for a more eye-catching pattern. Comes with 5 Year Whelen LED Warranty.

Other companies have semi copied it as well for other applications: (some call it a Brake Light Pulsator as well)

http://www.pashnit.com/product/signal_dynamics.html

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/leds_taillights.html (second from bottom)

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/Pr ... sp?item=BO

ncfd4303

May 20, 2010
Corning, NY
the sho me flasher will do what you want. i installed one of these last week on our rescue that has the 4" led tail lights and i must say it certainly adds an additional pop to the rear end. very easy to do too.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
unlisted said:
Cheap? I would not call Whelen technology cheap.. its called Signal Alert.
The lights themselves appear to be cheap, that wasn't saying anything about the method used to make them flash like that.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
nerdly_dood said:
The lights themselves appear to be cheap, that wasn't saying anything about the method used to make them flash like that.
Regardless, I don't ever want to hear you even coming close to talking smack about Whelen..

.... :lol: ;)

May 21, 2010
Calhoun, TN
I purchased a pair of led tail lights & a sho-me led flasher. After multiple attempts to make them work, I gave up & put vertexes in the reverse light section. The flasher for the stop turn tail lights will work on some, but apparently not all.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
unlisted said:
Regardless, I don't ever want to hear you even coming close to talking smack about Whelen..
You won't. ;)

...Except that they discontinued their Centurion line, I loved that lightbar. But apart from that I like them a lot.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.