LED conversions and repair

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Led conversion, population, and replacement of burnt out diodes!

No more replacing a head after a section Burns out and either throwing away or putting it in a box never to be used again.

Change rank, job, state? Need to change colors too? Can't stand that you bought all those lights and now you got to spend another fortune and make new holes.

Reuse the lights you already have! You know how many hours they have and what condition they are in.

Colors are: Amber, Red, Blue, Green, Purple, White.

There is also a few special order colors non-warning specific. Pink for the ladies ;)

Many many brands/ manufactures use the same platform of LED's and I'm constantly finding new lights.

UPDATE:

Here is the new pricing and tutorial to help figure out what series your lighthead uses

5mm

awww.effled.com_images_5mm_LEDs_off.jpg

These are commonly considered gen1. This is where led warning lighting was born. And it still continues to be used. I try not to convert these as it is time consuming.

Star based leds

awww.lc_led.com_images_emitter_emitter.jpg

This is the popular diode that I carry I. Stock. I usually have about 2,000 at any given time. This was used by whelen in their heads up until late 2008. It was also used in the talons and other units until a later date. It is also familar in 911ep lights and many other companies. This was the breakthrough for smaller lights with more output

Any light that uses this diode is $2 per diode changed. Ie a lin6 would $12 etc

Cree XR-E

[Broken External Image]:http://www.cree.com/~/media/Images/Cree/Components Modules/XLamp/XRE White/XRE_Cool_Angle_med.jpg

This is used by many companies and is still popular today. This replaced the star based in some regards because it was more efficient power wise and since it flow solders to the board it was heatsinked better

I can change these but its more expensive. It is $4.50 per diode changed. Ie a lin6 with these diodes would be $27.

Smaller modules that utilize these diodes I can "down convert" for a lack of a better explanation, and replace them with my star based diodes for that price. My diodes I use are far more efficient than these older series cree diodes therefore the light should be brighter with this down convert.

Cree XP-E

awww.leds.de_out_pictures_z1_sol_68404_pic1_1_z1.jpg

These little guys are mainly found in whelen heads. They are about the size of a framing nail head.Primarily in the justice style heads like the newer con-3s and the LR-11 takedowns.

I can change them but the limited use of this diode makes it more expensive at $5 per diode changed. As noted though I CAN make colored lr-11's

Comparison between the xre and the xpe

aledsreview.com_xp_g_vs_xr_e.jpg

Philips luxeon rebel

awww.philipslumileds.com_uploads_images_products_luxeon_rebel_illumination.jpg

Luxeon rebel size comparison

awww.osbornephotos.com_images__lights__5_20rebel_20on_20a_20penny_01.jpg

Size comparison to xp

[Broken External Image]:http://www.msc-ge.com/en/6817-www/version/default/part/ImageData/data/cree_xlamp_xp-e_white.png

This is the newest diode on the market today. This bad boy are bright but they are also a pain. Your big companies like whelen and feniex use this series. Whelen has been the first one to be utilizing those diodes which has been proven detrimental, there was a process problem at philips which led to hundreds of thousands of these diodes to fail prematurely due to bad epoxy.

I can change these as well but for the size and work it takes the price reflects that at $5/diode. Ie a lin6 with these diodes would be $30

Last but not least, well maybe...

Its the OSRAM led

aflashlightnews.org_images2_OSRAM_GoldenDragonPlus.jpg

This diode was popularly uses by sound off signal specifically the led3's. This was on my could not do list but I have successfully done a few for myself so I'm opening it. So yes I can do led3's now

$4 per diode. Ie led3 changed would be $12.

Many people ask me what diodes I am using. I cannot say other than they come from a name brand warning light manufacturer near me.

I did a side by side test with a whelen tir6b(blue)

I changed the leds out in 1 module with new blue ones. The second module I left it whelen.

Results: color to the eyes was identical. The light output on the one I changed was actually 20-50lux brighter than the whelen's.

I personally use lights I changed on my pov

Split colors are capable in a single head also.

Red/amber and Blue/ white Tir6 with a clear non-optic lens does not get split fail at a distance.

Feel free to ask any question.

Payment will be PayPal. Shipping is determined by you. However you ship it to me is how you will receive it in return and whatever you pay for shipping is what the shipping fee will be.

Also I've received lots of pm's but not a lot of product. Is there something specific people want to see me do? Send me a request and ill get it up!

Ill guarantee the heads. If they fail ill replace it if its my fault.

Brian

Lin6 amber before

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_16_gubuqyhe.jpg

Lin6 split blue/amber

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_16_uvu9ede7.jpg

Whelen 700series amber before

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_16_e7apanuq.jpg

Whelen 700series full conversion to blue

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_10_16_ysezuza3.jpg

Email for direct contact however posting here or PMing me is a more reliable source

Westernme963@AOL.com

Disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form affilated or supported by any company whom I retrofit their modules. I am a third party entity. Any previous ratings or certifications the light previously had will be voided. Any manufacturer's warranty that is present on the light will be voided. I am not responsible for any damages that may occur while using the equipment after the product is modified. Upon you agreeing to have me work on your equipment, you are waiving all rights of holding me accountable to any damage that may occur.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I copied you over this dealer thread in this section, I'm trying to do that with people who start services on the site.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.