LED conversions and repairs

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
So, I will pre-empt this with.....

I AM NOT TAKING ORDERS AND AM NOT TAKING/COMPETING WITH BRIAN!!! He has a good thing going and I am not going to piss in his Wheaties, I simply don't have the time. 

Now that that's out of the way, Wilson and I shared some tips, me with cable/harness building, him with the LED swapping. This was for my learning, enjoyment, and fiscal reasons only, not for competition. I have a metric shit-ton of blue modules I've bought in lots for very good prices. It would cost me a ton to ship them all to him to have them converted, and then ship back for use or resale. Thus, I wanted to learn how to do this on my own.

This is not something someone with no electrical experience should undertake. This is also something that someone who has never soldered should do. I've had a bit of experience doing it and still managed to fry some LEDs, and also burn the crap out of an entire joint on my pinkie bumping against the iron on the work bench. If you don't know what you're doing, either send it to wilson, or throw the whole mess in the trash.

Thus, I've converted about a dozen Libery modules so far, corners and LIN6s. I tried a TIR3 that was defective anyways (metal back, PITA to get the head apart). I also tried a 6 button Solaris, but can't get that to work either (I think there's a short on the board, keeps popping LEDs).

I'm mainly going to convert these heads to amber, clear, and green, the 3 most sought after or impossible to find colors. I'll do it at my leisure and sell afterwards. I also put the whelenesque style DOM & color stickers on there, thinking I'm going to warranty my work for either 2 or 3 years.

So, here's some of my first pics; a set of amber corners, a set of clear corners, a couple red LIN6s, and a green LIN6. Some of the modules are only partially populated, ran out of LEDs, I have more on order.

P3250015.JPG

P3250016.JPG

P3250017.JPG

P3250019.JPG

P3250020.JPG

P3250021.JPG

P3250023.JPG

P3250024.JPG

P3290029.JPG

P3290030.JPG

P3290032.JPG

P3290033.JPG

Reactions: deputychief301

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.