LED Outfitters Intimidator Dash/Deck Light

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
LED Outfitters recently released a new light, the "INTIMIDATOR", on their website and here on eLightbars, and I figured I'd get one to play with. Below are my "findings".

The light was ordered on Monday, and I received it on Wednesday, two days later. It was shipped Priority Mail to me, but I would've gotten it quickly anyway, seeing as we're in the same general area. I will include pics of everything below the actual review.

Items included were: 1 light, a flashback shield/shroud, one mounting bracket, 3 suctions cups, and 2 small screws.

The suction cups attach to the mounting bracket by sliding them into the corresponding slots, so no screws involved there (big positive for me, personally). The mounting bracket is then attached by 1 small screw per side, to the sides of the light. The light comes with a cigarette plug with a on/off switch, that has a light indicator as to when it's on. Overall, the light is very light, but not in a "cheap" way. The shroud is attached by lining up the notches on the shroud to the indentations on the light. It took me several seconds to figure it out.

As far as the output, the brightness is not at all noticeable to not be a name brand light. Seeing as I've actually been hands-on with the light that inspired this one, the Federal Signal Dual Viper, I can honestly say the light output is practically indistinguishable. The 15 flash patterns are changed with a simple push button on the rear of the light, and the patterns are run-of-the-mill patterns.

My overall impression is this: It's a well-made light, that I believe would stand up to the abuse it would face inside a vehicle. It is exceptionally bright, and is small enough to fit almost anywhere, and still put out a immense amount of light. Additionally, seeing as the cost is significantly lower than any light like it on the market right now, it is a staple for any volunteer on a budget. I will report back in 1-2 weeks time with a update as to wear-and-tear on the light, and how it's affected.

PICS:

2012-12-05 20.24.26.jpg

/\ Closed box, how it appeared on arrival.

2012-12-05 20.24.41.jpg

/\Box, lid open. The light itself was wrapped in bubble wrap.

2012-12-05 20.27.08.jpg

/\ All items (light, bracket, suction cups, and flashback shroud)

2012-12-05 21.04.39.jpg

/\ Light, fully assembled

2012-12-05 21.07.13.jpg

/\ Light, while on and at a off-axis angle. I did not take any "head-on" pictures, seeing as A) the camera couldn't handle it, and B) wouldn't really prove anything.

Link to item: on eLightbars, and the website.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Could you possibly do an off-axis comparison photo between this and a "big name" light like an avenger or viperS2?

Also, is this a similar light to the AWL L18?

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Well, given the amount of time that's passed, and the amount of PM's and emails I've received regarding the light, I've decided to post an update.

I had three of these lights mounted in my POV. I made certain to park my vehicle in an area that was covered by sunlight for as long as possible, to subject it to as much as heat as possible. After the 2 weeks and change that have passed, there has not been any warping, bubbling, or similar disfigurement of the plastic. The light output is the same as when I first got it. Additionally, during a small "stress test", I ran it for nearly 3 hours straight to see if it could handle it. At the end, it had only gotten slightly warmer near the heatsinks, located on the bottom of the light, and it operated perfectly the entire time. It was in an area that had low airflow, to make sure it wasn't being cooled off. It did not "forget" the flash pattern, as lower quality lights will. The LED's did not dim or go out, it operated at 100% the entire time. Now, for some cons I've noticed:

1) When attaching the mount to the light, I needed to push it in a bit while drilling. I was not ecstatic about that, I was worried the whole time that I would pierce something important. Luckily, I didn't.

2) The flashback shield, while strong in construction, connects to the light via small notches and grooves, as mentioned in the OP. Unfortunately, it comes out as easily as it goes in, and when I tried to use it on my rear lights, the slightest jostle would make them fall out. Oddly enough, this didn't happen with the light I have mounted near the RVM, so it may be a user-generated error.

All in all, a truly well made light, IMO. At this price, and with this quality, it's a must-have for any volunteer not looking to sell vital organs for lighting. I'm in contact with the manufacturer to discuss some possible changes, such as making it easier to change the LED boards to make them more easily replaceable. Please feel free to PM me for any questions. I will be posting a video shortly.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
foxtrot5 said:

No, it is a replica of a Viper S2. IMO, the L18s are put together with better components. But at half the price, I'd expect some quality to be sacrificed.

I may pick some of these up to give away as free gifts with purchases from my site as well, we'll see

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
foxtrot5 said:
Could you possibly do an off-axis comparison photo between this and a "big name" light like an avenger or viperS2?

Unfortunately, I don't have any big name lights lying around other than a Gen 1 SlimLighter...and let's be honest, a Gen 1 is equal to the JazzDad Candle Lights. If I do come across a comparable light, I'll make a vid and post it.

The AWL L18/LEDO SL-20 is a larger light, which I personally like better. But, for this price/weight/size, there is no comparison. And to Jared/LLS... :D

EMT-BLS

Oct 28, 2011
Waterbury, CT
Just another couple of observations about the light:

1) They are not sync-able. My closest shot was to just wire the powers and grounds together, but they un-sync a few minutes in.

2) Since the top of the light is rounded, it really is only mountable with the heatsinks facing down. While that's fine for a single light, if you're trying to get R/B----B/R like I did, the light needs to be disassembled and put back together backwards. Obviously, since the light was made to be built backwards, it doesn't sit as perfectly as it should.

My rational, and many of customers is: It's a much cheaper alternative to the S2, which has a long history of failure. At least if this light isn't perfect, it won't run you nearly as much.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.