Led Tail Light Flasher for '13 Ford Fusion

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Has anyone used or installed a Flasher on a '13 Ford Fusion SE, to Flash the Tail lights? They are LED's and was wondering if anyone knew which specific flasher would be good. Im looking at SoundOff 2 Output Solid State LED Light Flasher But not sure if the LED tail lights match those Amperage (3 Amps MAx output per Light) Requirement. Any help?

Thanks all, be safe

Boggus

Feb 2, 2013
Houston
I am using the Soundoff LED flasher on my 2013 Taurus SHO, tail lamps are LED also. I originally was flashing the brake rings and the blinkers but this caused my blinkers to blink fast under normal operations. I am now using the flasher to flash the brake outer rings and the parking lamps inner trunk rings. It works great.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Alboy29 said:
Has anyone used or installed a Flasher on a '13 Ford Fusion SE, to Flash the Tail lights? They are LED's and was wondering if anyone knew which specific flasher would be good. Im looking at SoundOff 2 Output Solid State LED Light Flasher But not sure if the LED tail lights match those Amperage (3 Amps MAx output per Light) Requirement. Any help?

Thanks all, be safe

IIRC, I was told the harness shares the tail light and brake light wire. Less than 12 volts go to the brake light to give a diminished output (tail light) and go to 12 volts to display brake lights.

Get two diodes and use this kind of setup with your preferred flasher. Let me know if you need anything else.

Tony

dual diode.jpg

mike001

Mar 25, 2013
Providence RI
ERM said:
IIRC, I was told the harness shares the tail light and brake light wire. Less than 12 volts go to the brake light to give a diminished output (tail light) and go to 12 volts to display brake lights.

Get two diodes and use this kind of setup with your preferred flasher. Let me know if you need anything else.

Tony

View attachment 54237

Does all led brake lights work like that such as Cadillac, Nissan, acura?

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
mike001 said:
Does all led brake lights work like that such as Cadillac, Nissan, acura?

No. It usually looks like this. Two separate inputs into one LED array. Both are 12 volts, but the tail goes through a resistor to drop the current to the LEDs. Because the brake voltage coming in is higher than the tail voltage, the LEDs come to full brightness.

Tony

brake and tail.jpg

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
I did two of them. Used a SoundOff isolated taillight flasher. It worked flawlessly which was a pleasant surprise, because as Tony mentioned the lights use a single wire for both taillight and brake function. I'm uploading a video right now so I'll post it when it finishes. I also replaced the factory reverse lights with two Code3 HB915W's.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA

You may have to go watch it on YouTube itself because quality is lower when the video is embedded here.

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
<td>Vehicle

td><td>Function

td><td>Polarity

td><td>Color

td><td>Location

td><td>2013 Focus

td><td>Reverse

td><td>+

td><td>dk Blue/White

td><td>Driver rear shock tower

td><td>2013 Focus

td><td>Left Tail/brake light

td><td>+ MUX = 2.2 volts park/12 volts brake

td><td>White/Lt Green

td><td>Driver rear shock tower

td><td>2013 Focus

td><td>Right Tail/brake light

td><td>+ MUX = 2.2 volts park/12 volts brake

td><td>Gray/Violet

td><td>Passenger rear shock tower

td><td>td><td>td><td>td><td>td><td>td>

mike001

Mar 25, 2013
Providence RI
ERM said:
No. It usually looks like this. Two separate inputs into one LED array. Both are 12 volts, but the tail goes through a resistor to drop the current to the LEDs. Because the brake voltage coming in is higher than the tail voltage, the LEDs come to full brightness.

Tony

View attachment 54240

I understand how your diagram of the factory lights work but where would I splice in the flasher and diodes?

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
mike001 said:
I understand how your diagram of the factory lights work but where would I splice in the flasher and diodes?

On the brake light wire.

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
mike001 said:

Install it in the trunk right before the brake lights. Choose a section that gives you a lot of slack in the wires so you're not making things too difficult for yourself.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
SafetyLighting said:

Looks Good.. I managed to squeeze a Vertex in there(reverse light Housing). Was Hard to do, took some Dremel work to get the LAW to sit flush but got it in there nice. Im going to try the Flasher you purchased, and see the results. Thanks For all the quick & Super helpful posts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
I like the sound off Flasher, but it is too fast, and doesn't offer any pattern Changes.. I will most likely just splice in add the diode & my own flasher, and then run the flasher to the LAW i have in reverse lights to fully sync them all together.

mike001

Mar 25, 2013
Providence RI
Alboy29 said:
I like the sound off Flasher, but it is too fast, and doesn't offer any pattern Changes.. I will most likely just splice in add the diode & my own flasher, and then run the flasher to the LAW i have in reverse lights to fully sync them all together.

Do you mind drawing a diagram of how that would be wired up? I think I would be interested in doing something similar.

Thnx

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
mike001 said:
Do you mind drawing a diagram of how that would be wired up? I think I would be interested in doing something similar.
Thnx

Tony from ERM posted it above, I am gonna tackle this probably late this week, early next week So i Can take Pictures/Videos to show you.

TactMedic

Oct 31, 2016
Canada
I did two of them. Used a SoundOff isolated taillight flasher. It worked flawlessly which was a pleasant surprise, because as Tony mentioned the lights use a single wire for both taillight and brake function. I'm uploading a video right now so I'll post it when it finishes. I also replaced the factory reverse lights with two Code3 HB915W's.

Hi ! Did you use the ETFBSSN-P ?

Oct 20, 2010
Rehoboth, MA
Shoot, sorry TM! I just installed the SOS flasher per the instructions. Worked great.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.