Legend/SS2000SM-SB?

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
I have a Legend that I want to wire up to a SS2000SM-SB. I know that the SB will power the LED TA very dim because it is designed to work with halogen TA's. Is it a problem if I wire up the TA power wire to position one on the slide switch which also powers the rear lights?

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
MEVS06 said:
I have a Legend that I want to wire up to a SS2000SM-SB. I know that the SB will power the LED TA very dim because it is designed to work with halogen TA's. Is it a problem if I wire up the TA power wire to position one on the slide switch which also powers the rear lights?

Not sure I am following you, but if you are asking if you tap the positive wire for the Signalmaster from Position 1, yes you can. The output for the individual lights is negative from the SS2000SM.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
acs680 said:
Not sure I am following you, but if you are asking if you tap the positive wire for the Signalmaster from Position 1, yes you can. The output for the individual lights is negative from the SS2000SM.

Yes I know that the each output to the SM are ground switching.

What I am asking if I were to connect the positive from the SM to position one and not to its own constant power due to the older series of SM not being designed to power LEDs will it affect the SM. If I were to connect it per the instructions the SM will be lit very dim because the power of the SS2000SM-SB out put is for a halogen SM and not an LED SM.

SM = Signal Master...

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
MEVS06 said:
Yes I know that the each output to the SM are ground switching.
What I am asking if I were to connect the positive from the SM to position one and not to its own constant power due to the older series of SM not being designed to power LEDs will it affect the SM. If I were to connect it per the instructions the SM will be lit very dim because the power of the SS2000SM-SB out put is for a halogen SM and not an LED SM.

SM = Signal Master...

Doesn't make sense. The SS2000 was designed to power halogens (15amps or so with 8 lamps lit) but you're trying to power LEDs (4 amps or so).... what makes you think it'll be dim?? The SS will handle much more power than your LED SM requires. It won't make it dim.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
leftcoastmark said:
Doesn't make sense. The SS2000 was designed to power halogens (15amps or so with 8 lamps lit) but you're trying to power LEDs (4 amps or so).... what makes you think it'll be dim?? The SS will handle much more power than your LED SM requires. It won't make it dim.

No, when it is not being used. I called Fed Sig and they said when it is not in use it will still power the LEDs and be dim. Sorry for the confusion.

blackcherryxj

Jan 1, 2011
Western Kentucky, USA
Joe,

In short, yes. I do not see a problem with it. When you power up position 1, you'll provide constant power to the arrow. You will only be able to use the arrow with position 1 activated. You could also put it on a push putton output if you needed to activate at another time.

Paul

acs680

Nov 23, 2010
Tennessee
MEVS06 said:
No, when it is not being used. I called Fed Sig and they said when it is not in use it will still power the LEDs and be dim. Sorry for the confusion.

Um, no? Federal told you this?? The SS2000SM will not cause the LEDs to be dim when not in use on the Legend. I could maybe see this if you were using a true LED arrowstick that wired up with 12 volts to each head, however the Legend does not do this, as it goes through the serial interface module. The LEDs for the Signalmaster never see the power unless activated through the Serial Interface Module.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
I agree that it won't be a problem. To turn the directional arrow on, the SS has to close the circuit via the SM board on the siren.

I'd hook it up normally and try it that way. We have lots of Legends on SS2000's and haven't had any issue with what you're describing.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
blackcherryxj said:
Joe,

In short, yes. I do not see a problem with it. When you power up position 1, you'll provide constant power to the arrow. You will only be able to use the arrow with position 1 activated. You could also put it on a push putton output if you needed to activate at another time.

Paul

Yes I thought about putting it to a push button, but I decided against it since my bar is only on while on an off duty detail on a lane closure with magnets. Yes a 45" Legend does work with magnets.

acs680 said:
Um, no? Federal told you this?? The SS2000SM will not cause the LEDs to be dim when not in use on the Legend. I could maybe see this if you were using a true LED arrowstick that wired up with 12 volts to each head, however the Legend does not do this, as it goes through the serial interface module. The LEDs for the Signalmaster never see the power unless activated through the Serial Interface Module.

Really? You were listening to my conversation with Bill O'Connell - Tech Support Ex. 5352 at Federal Signal. Please look at my question once again. The SS2000SM-SB will power LED Signal Masters dim when not in use due to the fact the SB series was designed for halogen Signal Masters and not LEDs. Bill clearly said the SS2000SM-SC or the SS2000SM-SD will in fact work with LEDs because those series of Signal Masters were designed for use with LEDs unlike the older versions.

leftcoastmark said:
I agree that it won't be a problem. To turn the directional arrow on, the SS has to close the circuit via the SM board on the siren.

I'd hook it up normally and try it that way. We have lots of Legends on SS2000's and haven't had any issue with what you're describing.

I am not to worried about this issue any more since I have an SS2000SM-SD on its way from a member on here, now to find two more speakers to run dual SS2000SM's... :yes: :yes: :yes:

Quentin said:
Just hook it up Normally. I never had an Issue when I had my Legend hook up to the SS2000SM

Wire just like page 59

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/2562365.pdf

Thanks I already have the manuals for both my Legend and SS2000. Just to be clear its the series of SS that matters according to Bill at FedSig. I know I have read this before but I just couldnt find it.

Thank you guys.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
In can confirm Joe's problem when using some LEDs with SA or SB amps. The upgrades to the SC and SD amps solved all issues with LED arrows.

Joe, using a separate switch to power the SM would solve this issue.

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
rwo978 said:
In can confirm Joe's problem when using some LEDs with SA or SB amps. The upgrades to the SC and SD amps solved all issues with LED arrows.

Joe, using a separate switch to power the SM would solve this issue.

Thank you.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHarrold000

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.