• Chat is Back! It's helped many people get the information they've needed in the past... maybe we can get it busy enough to help a new generation of information seekers!

Announcement Let's Hear Your Suggestions

Jman423

Administrator
Administrator
We'd like to hear what improvements the community would like to see at eLightbars in terms of features and resources.

Sound Off!

PanHandleStan

Silver Supporter
New forum layout... I don't mean the looks.. i mean the way the threads are arranged. I mean.... you're borderline chinese emergency product level here with how hard it is to navigate

OP
OP
Jman423

Jman423

Administrator
Administrator
New forum layout... I don't mean the looks.. i mean the way the threads are arranged. I mean.... you're borderline chinese emergency product level here with how hard it is to navigate
That is a tall order... it's hard to please everyone's eye, but I'm open to making improvements where ever possible.

Do you have specific suggestions?

One other thing, is the classifieds. Posts marked "No longer available" or "sold" should be deleted. I hate doing a search and see pages of "no longer available" or "sold" items rather then actual "for sale" items. It would just clean it up quite a bit.

shues

Gold Supporter
One other thing, is the classifieds. Posts marked "No longer available" or "sold" should be deleted. I hate doing a search and see pages of "no longer available" or "sold" items rather then actual "for sale" items. It would just clean it up quite a bit.

This site is an incredible resource for determining the current market value of items. Please don't delete threads for items that have sold or are otherwise no longer available.

Panjo deletes the price information from the threads it manages when items are sold. This is something that site rules have traditionally requested members refrain from doing.

Instead of deleting this valuable information, please simply archive threads when items have sold. Doing so has worked well for us in the past.

Maybe have a subforum (I know, I know...) where you can move sold items to? That way someone can search the for sale forum but choose not to search the sold forum?

Also can we bring back a live chatroom? That was one of my favorite things about this site. And not one that tells you every time someone posts in a thread.

Instead of deleting this valuable information, please simply archive threads when items have sold. Doing so has worked well for us in the past.
Maybe have a subforum (I know, I know...) where you can move sold items to? That way someone can search the for sale forum but choose not to search the sold forum?
Either one of these would work fine too! I just hate doing a search and most of my results are clearly not for sale items.

Evtech161

Established Member
I was meaning actual shops, not people who work out of their garage.
I agree with this.... if there was a way for ELB to make an avitar for verified upfitters, and add it to thier profile, I think that would work..its always good to know who your talking to some times an cuts down on stupid questions

mls60442

Has there been any consideration or possibility of adding a forum specifically geared toward Equipment Restoration. I would like to see one and think there could be enough information to post to warrant one.

It would be nice to see tips, tricks, and information on restoring equipment. For example, I have a few Twinsonics to clean up and essentially would like to restore and replace parts. It would be nice to go to one forum to find possible schematics, information on parts, wiring diagrams, etc. I think there are plenty of us with older and vintage equipment in our collections who could find it useful.

Last edited:

mtaylor

Registered Member

I agree, but I'll be the first to say it's really hard to built out forum software in a modern format, clean design, and intuitively organized fashion that lends itself to being updated with time. The format as-is I find usable, but to decrease your bounce-rate and add more "stickyness" you've gotta make it (a) Easy to find information, (b) Fast load times, (c) Intuitive to navigate, and (d) Some sort of "reward" for interacting.

Note: The "reward" part is that dopamine hit that keeps people coming back. It's likes on facebooks. Hearts/views on instagram. Retweets on twitter. "Reputation" or title/rank or post count on some forums. I am disgusted with myself both that I know what this is, and that it's human nature. Ugh.

TL;DR Clean up design. Streamline navigation/organization wherever possible. Look places to speed page load times. Use responsive design.

I might be shooting for the stars here, but how bout an app? Would that be too dollar intensive?

Perhaps something that allows you to interact directly with forums/members without having to go thru a browser, gives you a notification when you have a like/message/reply/etc.

I'm by no means a computer wizard, so I really don't know what it would consist of to create one. I'm open to a lashing from those that are tho :)

mls60442

Regarding a restoration forum, why reinvent the wheel? It's all here, you just need to know which heading to look under.
Why build a Boeing 747 when we had the Wright flyer? Why build a Crown Victoria when we had the Model T? It might be here but it's not always easy to find. Instead of searching for it all, would it not be easier to find it in one spot?

I don't know, maybe cutting down a restoration project to days from weeks, or weeks, from months doesn't seem that appealing.

Nolines

Established Member
Actually I find it hard to search for things to a small degree, I Just Found a Forum listing on the old Blink stuff that I run with my MPC01 and BL627 Siren and ISP188 power supply that I didnt Know Existed here with another sub forum on creating a poor mans transporter so i can program my MPC01 Supposedly but it dealt more with the smart messenger...

I dont see a Forum for Whelen stuff myself... or maybe im blind..

Nolines

Established Member
ahhh so 20 levels deep ... gotcha thanks! I just had seen other manufacturers forums up front i guess I should have taken a bunch more time to look... My Bad!

Chat users

Latest Listings

Top Bottom