Lets see pictures of custom lights/lightbars [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

signal12

May 22, 2010
long island new york
nerdly_dood said:
My camera takes much better videos of strobes in the dark, so you might want to consider turning off the lights and covering up the window for the next video.

yeah tried night, day, artificial light, you name it but thx anyway i appreciate it

Alex

May 21, 2010
Queen Creek, AZ
Shawn L said:
while this isnt too spectacular of a bar it will fit the need,

This was made to go on the roof of my brothers k-5 blazer, he wanted some decent flood lights for off road use.

I had a few old Mx bars that weren't worth fixing, so we gutted the top half and loaded it up with takedowns, I set the bar up so it would be mounted backwards, we kept the 2 intersection sweeps, (amber bulbs) and 1 pair of front flashers w/ amber filters,

here is how its set up

Front 6 takedown assy's, 2 amber flashers

Rear 4 takedown assys, 2 rear corner sweeps

The Sides have 1 standard alley light mounted at a 45* angle (slightly trimmed the mounting bracket) , and 1 arrowstick alley light mount upside down, these point straight out to the sides

Here are a few pics of the corners of the bar, the tops will retain the black mid plates and the metal louvered pieces, I still have to locate the clear 2100 domes for the outboard sections

I've thought about doing this myself as well. More white lights / off road lights with a pair of forward & rear facing warning lights. Very curious to the outcome of this project.

Last edited by a moderator:

kd8eid

Jan 15, 2011
Hinton, WV
2 lightbars that i have fixed up.

The first is a Whelen AdvantEdge, it has 4 forward facing and 4 rear facing strobes from a FS Vista, and on each end it has a square strobe from an Edge 9m, it is powered by a 4 outlet and a 6 outlet power supply also from a FS Vista.

The second is a Code 3 Lp6000 with 4 forward facing and 2 rear facing strobes from a FS Vista, on each end is an intersection strobe from a Vista and it is powered by 2 4 outlet power supply's from a Vista.

Here is a link to the album,

http://cid-db858cc5ea1eeb56.skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?page=play&resid=DB858CC5EA1EEB56!229

firemedic105

Jun 2, 2010
East Coast of Canada
I have done two custom lightbars. First one out of a Tomar Neobe which everyone called a UFO on my roof.

It was completely LED. It had 4 red leds in front, 4 ambers in front, plus 2 whites in front. Front corners were two reds and two ambers, and sides were 2 red, 2 ambers, and 2 whites.

To the rear were 4 red and 4 amber LEDs.

My second LED bar was an MX2100 as I call it. front/corners have 6 red and 6 amber leds. Rear has 4 red and 4 amber. There are also 2 MR11 Halogen Alley lights.

P1010029.JPG

P1010033.JPG

756.jpg

757.jpg

signal12

May 22, 2010
long island new york
firemedic105 said:
I have done two custom lightbars. First one out of a Tomar Neobe which everyone called a UFO on my roof.

It was completely LED. It had 4 red leds in front, 4 ambers in front, plus 2 whites in front. Front corners were two reds and two ambers, and sides were 2 red, 2 ambers, and 2 whites.

To the rear were 4 red and 4 amber LEDs.

My second LED bar was an MX2100 as I call it. front/corners have 6 red and 6 amber leds. Rear has 4 red and 4 amber. There are also 2 MR11 Halogen Alley lights.

i dig the ufo, nice one!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
That's Guy M's creation. Still a neat twist on a Whelen Guardian minibar.

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
well the bar is done, we went out and did to test fitting, and it looks like it will work well, just need to buy the upper outter domes for a 2100 bar

Alex said:
I've thought about doing this myself as well. More white lights / off road lights with a pair of forward & rear facing warning lights. Very curious to the outcome of this project.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Bought me a cheap brand new red white LED chinese bar for $70 gonna gutt the damn thing and put my own LEDs in it probly Whacker Tech or Delta IIIs in RED/BLUE . As is the little thing is pretty bright i was surprised it did not suck that much gonna see how Traffic responds to it if it sucks then i will continue with my little project.

Well i took apart the bar and it turns out its just a 5mm led with a little cone reflector on it so pretty much worthless im going to install LIN4s in it.

This is the bar

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
Made this with a dominator windshield mount, bent it a bit to be the right angle. Attatched that to custom made abs plastic housing made for the light heads. This was the original one i made with 911ep stars, but i found out that 45 degree angle was not enough, so i took it into the shop and made it 55 degree angles and used axitech extreme 6's. Bigger footprint and more into side coverage.... work great! just like having mirror lights but no holes drilled into the mirrors or external mounting.

[Broken External Image]:http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o270/johnsom4_2007/45degree.jpg

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
signal12 said:
those appear to be pretty bright

those china bars are not bright at all. Ive seen one, plus it had 1 module burn out and 2 diodes in other modules out.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Richard P said:
those china bars are not bright at all. Ive seen one, plus it had 1 module burn out and 2 diodes in other modules out.

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
Is this standard or did this guy make this looks pretty sweet

kd0giz

Jun 8, 2010
New Liberty IA
ark_firefighter said:
Not my work ... but I wish I knew how to make LEDs...

All he did was take the guts out of a Wolo Hawkeye beacon (the clear lensed R&B one) and stuck it in a Dashlaser

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Shawn L said:
while this isnt too spectacular of a bar it will fit the need,

This was made to go on the roof of my brothers k-5 blazer, he wanted some decent flood lights for off road use.

I had a few old Mx bars that weren't worth fixing, so we gutted the top half and loaded it up with takedowns, I set the bar up so it would be mounted backwards, we kept the 2 intersection sweeps, (amber bulbs) and 1 pair of front flashers w/ amber filters,

here is how its set up

Front 6 takedown assy's, 2 amber flashers

Rear 4 takedown assys, 2 rear corner sweeps

The Sides have 1 standard alley light mounted at a 45* angle (slightly trimmed the mounting bracket) , and 1 arrowstick alley light mount upside down, these point straight out to the sides

Here are a few pics of the corners of the bar, the tops will retain the black mid plates and the metal louvered pieces, I still have to locate the clear 2100 domes for the outboard sections

Speaking of a K5, well actually a Military Blazer M1009 CUCV, here is my custom lightbar.

Lightbar is a CARR roof bar for mounting driving lights in power coated black, but painted it olive drab green to match the truck. I have four Pro Comp 6" Round 100 watt Spot Light so I can see where I am going at night and two amber beacons on the ends. Instead of using strobes I am using two Federal Signal Ultrastar LED beacons and the beacons style does fit what would have been used in the 80s. I would have used strobes, but most people will not know the difference and I got them for a steal. To mount the beacon lights I used 1" pipe floor base and a 1" pipe threaded extension from Lowes, cost was bout $20.

aimages9.fotki.com_v120_photos_9_14219_9552782_M1009CARR08_vi.jpg

aimages116.fotki.com_v107_photos_9_14219_9552782_M1009CARR11_vi.jpg

aimages58.fotki.com_v85_photos_9_14219_9552782_M1009CARR14_vi.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Don't much like the use of LEDs on an older truck like that. Swap them for a pair of strobes on top and halogen lights in front and it'd be just fine.

But it does look cool though. :thumbsup:

May 25, 2010
Hamburg (Germany)
Whelen Edge I made back in 2005 using 5mm LEDs on custom boards with a custom mikrocontroller-board: http://www.kitesurfer1404.de/lights/edge

It's nice for my collection. I built it, because I had no money to buy the Whelen LEDs from the US. It was my first mikrocontroller-project ever, so it's not a very great build. But it works and lets me programm all flashpatterns I want into it. :)

aimages.kitesurfer1404.de_t_edge_customLED.jpg

aimages.kitesurfer1404.de_t_edge_frame_1.jpg aimages.kitesurfer1404.de_t_edge_frame_2.jpg

aimages.kitesurfer1404.de_t_edge_led_modul.jpg

There are some videos on youtube as well:

So far...

MX7000Guy

Jun 2, 2010
Middle of nowhere, VT
Blade Runner said:
Not bad on the CUCV, but why the amber lights? Do they serve a purpose, or is it just whackertainment? Just curious...

"Don't shoot at me" lights when wheeling maybe? I have Amber lights on my truck that I use during hunting season.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Station 3 said:
Bought me a cheap brand new red white LED chinese bar for $70 gonna gutt the damn thing and put my own LEDs in it probly Whacker Tech or Delta IIIs in RED/BLUE . As is the little thing is pretty bright i was surprised it did not suck that much gonna see how Traffic responds to it if it sucks then i will continue with my little project.

Well i took apart the bar and it turns out its just a 5mm led with a little cone reflector on it so pretty much worthless im going to install LIN4s in it.

This is the bar

Unrelated note, but you should put a couple clear coats over your tail lights, it will make them look more glossy instead of flat-black ;)

Grotonems5

Jun 1, 2010
Groton, Vermont
K9Vic said:
Speaking of a K5, well actually a Military Blazer M1009 CUCV, here is my custom lightbar.

Lightbar is a CARR roof bar for mounting driving lights in power coated black, but painted it olive drab green to match the truck. I have four Pro Comp 6" Round 100 watt Spot Light so I can see where I am going at night and two amber beacons on the ends. Instead of using strobes I am using two Federal Signal Ultrastar LED beacons and the beacons style does fit what would have been used in the 80s. I would have used strobes, but most people will not know the difference and I got them for a steal. To mount the beacon lights I used 1" pipe floor base and a 1" pipe threaded extension from Lowes, cost was bout $20.

aimages9.fotki.com_v120_photos_9_14219_9552782_M1009CARR08_vi.jpg

aimages116.fotki.com_v107_photos_9_14219_9552782_M1009CARR11_vi.jpg

aimages58.fotki.com_v85_photos_9_14219_9552782_M1009CARR14_vi.jpg

HOLY WINCH... looks hydraulic.. yes? That truck is BAD A$$!

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
Grotonems5 said:
HOLY WINCH... looks hydraulic.. yes? That truck is BAD A$$!

Thank you, I have been slowly working on it from a stock military Blazer, it did however have a single amber strobe beacon on the roof though. The winch is electric but I can see how you may think it is hydraulic. The winch is also designed to be used in either the front or back using the shackle mounts. The large twin cable you see is for jump starting 24V military vehicles and aircraft with the NATO plug. I also have a standard 12v jump start cable for normal vehicles, same one used on tow trucks.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
K9Vic said:
The large twin cable you see is for jump starting 24V military vehicles and AIRCRAFT!! with the NATO plug.

Okay, that settles it. Your truck is awesome.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
every militarey vehicle with 24v operation have those. nothing to boast about.

we called them "slave cables"

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
every military vehicle with 24v operation have those. nothing to boast about.

we called them "slave cables"

Kemper

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
So I have been lurking these forums for a while and decided to share my custom light bar build.

First I'll share a little background info, I am a college senior and a former police explorer from Seattle, I am planning on testing in a few years after I graduate in May. For my thesis I am shooting a short cop drama of sorts and wanted to build a custom light bar to use on a personal vehicle for the production. I am also using the light bar as another class project so in effect I am killing two birds with one stone so to speak.

Anyway, for the first version I am using an Arduino as the primary controller with several custom patterns based off of other popular light bars, but because I am limited to inputs and how many different sequences I can run this will probably be replaced with something better down the road.

While my current setup is more impressive then the high school seniors build posted some time ago it is still a work in progress and I am waiting on some parts to power all my LEDs properly. It's going to be a split visor mount since I don't have to worry about weather proofing or attracting attention from local law enforcement in between shooting locations.

The front bar is going to be made up of 40 1 Watt LEDs, these will make up 10 modules of 4 LEDs each, 4 Blue, 2 White and 4 Red the rear bar is going to be made up of 32 1 Watt LEDs making up 8 Modules of 4 LEDs like the front 4 Blue and 4 Red. I'm also planning on having side intersection modules of 2 Blue LED's and 2 Red LED's.

If I have spec'd everything correctly the front bar should be pushing 2000 lumens when all 10 modules are lit, but will probably operate closer to 1000 lumens the way my patterns are set up.

The only videos I have are with it plugged into a 5v source running off my laptop, but if there's enough interest maybe I'll upload them. I should have the parts I need to start running everything off a 12v source next week.

Let the feedback / flaming commence.

Little bit of an update. I picked up some materials to mount the LEDs too and got my MOSFET transistors and lenses yesterday. I'll post some pictures of the mock up tomorrow.

Planning on putting it in this.

awww_aolcdn_com_ch_autos_2009_jeep_grand_cherokee_srt8_614x345kn_.jpg

paladin

Mar 14, 2011
Arizona
I hope you already know this, but it's worth being repeated:

Please make sure you are aware of, and understand, the laws relating to having red and blue lights in your vehicle. I know that in many states, the mere presence of devices capable of emitting these colors on a vehicle can constitute a violation, regardless of whether or not they were activated.

But that being said, I will give you the benefit of the doubt in thinking that you have either consulted your local law enforcement and gotten permission with for example a filming license.

I look forward to seeing the work though :)

Kemper

Apr 16, 2011
Seattle, WA
Since I do want to pursue a career in Law Enforcement, trust me when I say I am taking every possible opportunity to do this the legal way. I definitely don't want something as stupid as this to ruin any future career choices. I have also been in close contact with my schools public safety department in order to maintain an open avenue for communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.