Liberty just started buzzing on low power...

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I have had a Whelen Liberty sl8gz1 (non balast) that started buzzing today on low power. I typically just run the rear heads only and on low. When I kicked it on today it was buzzing with the lighthead flash that it has never done before.

I presume it is the control board. I can run any pair of heads on their own and it is an extremely faint buzzing sound but the more I add the louder it gets. Only does it on low power. Does not make a difference if it is the front or rear.

Video of sound but it is a bit louder in person then in the vid.

Is this a common issue, nothing to worry about or a precursor to something like a failing board?

I am using the same power supply and wiring I have been (RadioShack 19amp).

Any thoughts or info would be great.

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
The buzz is the control board modulating the LEDs in low power mode. It may have become more noticeable due to component aging, but it's probably nothing to be concerned about.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.