Light my Ride- 2003 Pontiac Grand AM

mfdbenji

May 21, 2010
Castleton, Vermont
First off, yes I know, no one likes pontiacs, well it turns out, me either. But it will work for the time being.

It will be used for emergency response to Fire calls, a department that runs about 200 calls a year. I am allowed, Red and Clear to the front, red and amber to the rear. I have the required permit for the state of vermont to use lights and siren.

I need, a basic setup for response, and already have a couple of ideas on what I might want, but wanted to see what everyone else had.

I am not stuck on on particular brand but do usually go towards Whelen.

For a budget I am thinking $400-$500.

Here is a picture of the vehicle

ai107.photobucket.com_albums_m309_mfdbenji_car.jpg

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
mfdbenji said:
But it will work for the time being.
Does this mean the vehicle will be temporary? How temporary?

-Two TIR3s/PimpPods in the grille. Whelen Dual Avenger/ FS Dual Viper. All in the front.

-LINZ6 License plate bracket and Single Avenger in the rear.

Might be a little over your budget if you buy everything new. You can find some of these things used on the board.

mfdbenji

May 21, 2010
Castleton, Vermont
cbpdogboy said:
Is the budget you mentioned just for lights...or does that include a siren and speaker as well?

Can you use head light flashers?

Dont really need a siren, if I do choose to add one that would be extra (ontop of the budget). And yes I can use a headlight flasher

mfdbenji

May 21, 2010
Castleton, Vermont
Does this mean the vehicle will be temporary? How temporary?

I think what I would like to end up doing is buying another vehicle and keeping this one, thats part of the reason I would like to keep it basic and cheaper, because it would not be my daily driver.

Pursuit

May 23, 2010
Pulaski County, AR
You could just put a $50 throw light on top, and call it a day. ;)

I think everyone has pretty solid ideas so far. A dual avenger to the front, and a similar dash light to the rear is all you need. Simple, yet effective.

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
Ahhhh another grand am owner. I have an 04 GT. Up front i have a dual talon, and a custom 45 degree angle light i made. Also a custom traffic/warning bar in the rear i also made. The pain in the ass parts for this car, For running wires, the gromets are hidden, you would have to drill through the firewall. your grill looks like it has the honey comb style, so your mounting of lightheads there would have them pointing up a little, if not the grill lights look nice in the grill if it is like mine. I always wondered what led hideaways would look like with the way the headlight reflectors are. On the sides, all the windows are attatched to the doors so to mount something on the side windows would be tricky or not back seat passenger friendly. I can not tell if you have the spoiler on the back, but that makes mounting rear lights a pain because they have to go up high to clear it. So those are the issues i have come across, lighting wise at least........ so dash light up front, maybe a microman on the rear headliner. I had a gen 1 that was great up there. Let me know if you have any other questions.

crt6mrt-265

May 23, 2010
Central NJ
For me, i have the sunroof, and any roof space left, it curves down towards the back. Depending on the mounting hardware, any full or mini lightbar seems like it would be hard to do with this car because its very limited on the perfect position without it angling foward or back, sunroof or not

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
If you decide you are interested in a budget siren that will fit in the tight Pontiac interior, check out Sho-Mes new undercover siren. It's teh secks, and it's pretty cheap too.

SHO-TYME

May 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
I've got a Whelen arrow stick that I bought several years ago with strobes on the ends (Red/blue, but also have extra amber lenses for it also,)that I never used, if you're interested, let me know, I'm about ready to get rid of it. I have 2 control boxes also that are synced together.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
If you go with a windsheild light, viper s2 for the money, brighter than the avenger, better off axis, slightly cheaper. for griller strobes, pimp pods or fed sig impaxx. impaxx are brighter and better off axis than tir3s/lin3s, best yet, cheaper! i paid 30-something bucks each brand new from cajunblitz. same with he viper s2s, cheap! free shipping! as for the rear, a single viper s2 on each side, amber and a red. cheap HAW kit should cover side warning.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
Here is what I have/had in my 2000 Grand Am GT1:

When I purchased from the previous owner, this was the setup:

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/xfirefighter484x/th_MVI_3936.jpg[/URL]

-TIR6 Slimlighter

-TIR3 B/B in Grille

-Stock headlights were re-wired to have a single high/low beam, and clear HAW strobes were put in the stock hole for the high beam (removed stock headlights and place in projectors)

I updated some things, and this is the "current" setup (car in accident, trying to get it repaired):

Front:

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/xfirefighter484x/th_MVI_0001.jpg[/URL]

B/B Ultra Slimlighter

LIN4 B/B in Grille

Rear:

[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a255/xfirefighter484x/th_CIMG0347.jpg[/URL]

HAW strobes in turn signal housing (leftover from previous owner)

B/A/B 911EP TDWL36 on rear deck

I must say though, I DO like the wig-wag in this other individuals GA.

chfdbigbad said:
Here is a video of my old roommates grand am (far left), he has wigwags, a r/w dual strobe dashlight, and a r/w knock off talon up high

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r132_chfdbigbad_th_MVI_0287.jpg

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Sound Off Products!

Option 1-

Front:

2 head ultra-lite above RVM

R/W split ghost in the grille

Rear:

Mini3's on tag or each side of LP

Sound Offs new Hideaways

*under $500

Option 2-

Front:

2 head Ultra-Lite

pair of Mini3's in the grille

Clear Sound Off Universal Hideaways in fogs or high beam housings.

Rear:

2 ghost on each side of 3rd brake.

*thats still under $500 but toss in a little extra and put some Mini3's on the LP.

Now your barely over $500 with option 2 which would be a reallly nice package for no more than your wanting to spend.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.