Light my Silverado

May 22, 2010
New York City
ok guys,time to play everyones favorite game show, Light My Ride !!!

today i picked up a 2011 chevy silverado 1500 extended cab

im looking for some lighting idea's

front: green - and amber for towing - rear just amber for towing

use: volly ems

slicktop,no lightbar

updated to show changes !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 22, 2010
Central WV
How about this...

Front:

Pinnacle Interior Lightbar (R/R/W/R/R/W/R/R...I prefer less white LEDs, but that's just me. You can configure it however)

UltraLite 8 in grill (R/W/R/R/R/R/W/R) or x4 Ghosts in R in x pattern, etc

HLF

Universal Undercovers in fog lights

Side:

LED3 on intersection bracket on front LP R

Intersectors on side mirrors R

Ghosts in rear doors R

Rear:

UltraLite 12 TA (R/B, R, etc)

x6 Universal Undercovers (x4 red in brake lights, x2 blue or amber in reverse lights)

Siren/Control

380R

x2 100D 100W speakers

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Front:

* Federal Signal ILS (all red with white TD)

* Federal Signal Impaxx x4 (2 red, 2 white)

* Sound Off Headlight Flasher

Rear:

* Axixtech 8 head Commander (red/blue)

* Axixtech HAL09 TRI LED Hide-A-Way Kit W/W in reverse lights and brake (blue in reverse, red in brake)

Sides:

* Whelen Vertex x4 (1 red, 1 white each side)

* Two SOS Intersectors (red red)

Siren controls:

*Federal Signal Touchmaster Delta pushing dual ES100 speakers.

Not sure on what type of console so I will leave that open. If no console, I would go with a Federal Signal 650 siren (100 watt) or SVP / Star Handheld Siren - LCS880 (200 watt).

of a very similar truck I had a hand in. The ILS is so much brighter but the owner has eyebrow tint that dims in (still super bright though). I guesstimated $3000 +/- for that setup. You should be able to get the hookup on a lot of this so should get cheaper. I would personally ditch a console unless you have radios, scanners, etc and go with a handheld. Much cleaner for a nice, new truck. My 2 cents.

May 22, 2010
New York City
this is what i came up with

2 vertex clear front corner's

4 tir 6 red / white x pattern in grill

dual avenger on dash r/w

2 tir6 slimlighters in rear window r/w r/w

2 vertex clear rev lights

2 amber linz6 on lic. plate bracket

whelen hhs2200

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
clear to rear is not that advisable unless you can turn them off on scene (same with any clear lights) except the vertex. Those would be fine but on top of the RW SL that is quite a bit. I would do RB to the rear. IMO

May 22, 2010
Central WV
Klein said:
clear to rear is not that advisable unless you can turn them off on scene (same with any clear lights) except the vertex. Those would be fine but on top of the RW SL that is quite a bit. I would do RB to the rear. IMO

+1

or do R/R slimlighters, A vertex in the reverse lights, and R LINZ6s on the LP.

Clear to the rear is fine in my opinion while traveling, but on scene it can just cause more problems for oncoming traffic than its worth. I have HAWs in my brake and reverse lights (are well as front corners) and have it setup so I can deactivate all clear, including my HLF, on scene and keep all the red on.

Just all friendly suggestions. Ultimately, its your vehicle and you decide what you do or don't install on it.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Same. I turn all clear off on scene. I never really thought about clear to the rear until I saw it first hand at night on another POV and it was just dangerously bright. I think the only acceptable uses are TLF and HAWs that could possibly stay on on-scene if you have another color of more quantity than clear.

EMS10EMT

Aug 31, 2010
NJ
911 said:
this is what i came up with

2 vertex clear front corner's

4 tir 6 red / white x pattern in grill

dual avenger on dash r/w

2 tir6 slimlighters in rear window r/w r/w

2 vertex clear rev lights

2 amber linz6 on lic. plate bracket

whelen hhs2200

May I suggest trying a power arc dash light. I just got one and all i can say is Holy S**T!. Bright LED's and the interesting pattern it provides really caches attention.

May 22, 2010
New York City
well, i never put any lights in the truck , the reason being is..... i left the volly ambulance corps, i was with and joined another one closer to my home. the travel and the tolls were not worth it. with that being said , i cannot run red / white / siren in the new squad, as im just a reg. emt-b and not a assist. chief anymore. i didnt feel it was fair to the members and staff at my old corp to stay just to keep a title and not volunteer enough.

so its going to be a single green light, and im fine with that !! what do you guys think? lets hear opinion on what light? also im going to put 2 amber vertex in rear rev light and 2 amber m6 on front lower fascia, that will be used when im towing loads up north......

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
911 said:
well, i never put any lights in the truck , the reason being is..... i left the volly ambulance corps, i was with and joined another one closer to my home. the travel and the tolls were not worth it. with that being said , i cannot run red / white / siren in the new squad, as im just a reg. emt-b and not a assist. chief anymore. i didnt feel it was fair to the members and staff at my old corp to stay just to keep a title and not volunteer enough.

so its going to be a single green light, and im fine with that !! what do you guys think? lets hear opinion on what light? also im going to put 2 amber vertex in rear rev light and 2 amber m6 on front lower fascia, that will be used when im towing loads up north......

i would go with a tomar200s high power or a dual avenger (i'm a whelen guy). the dual viper is also a nice light.

glad to hear u r going with amber to the rear warning color (i always get nervous when i see POVs with green to the rear b/c motorists will prob. just assume that green means "go")

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
I'd go microman bar in the rear window, probably 48 inch - $236 + shipping

2 Hideaways in the fog lights- $140

2 pimp pods on a license plate bracket $77 for a pair of pods, about $30 for a lp bracket.

TLF

HLF

4 pimp pods in grill - $154

2 aways in the taillights - $140

1 or 2 whelen avengers on dash $180 shipped from HPD84

and for side warning i'd do a 4 head microman bar on each rear door $168 for two!

For all that, it would be about $1350!

May 22, 2010
New York City
by law i am allowed 1 green light !!!! plus i dont have fogs, hlf and tlf would be illegal too.......

so its 1 green light to the front and amber in the rev. lights and amber on lower fascia - amber would be used for towing, i do alot of towing with the truck

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Could go with a green microman bar! Or whelen talon! Rear i'd still go with a full microman bar and what you said.

May 22, 2010
New York City
think im going to go with a dual avenger in green ....... honestly im totally against microman bars b/c of the need of external flashers......

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I'd just put a single rotating beacon on the roof. Federal Signal Sentry, Code 3 550, or Whelen RB6 are all excellent lights that are relatively inexpensive, running $100-150 (or less if you know where to get them). Decent warning, all-around visibility, and most important, it complies with the law.

I'd recommend a magnet-mount light for ease of installation. If your truck has a slide-open rear window, that'll be an easy way to get the wire out of the way with a properly centered light.

Last edited by a moderator:

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I used to run Green. I always mixed it with white and had a HLF. Just green nobody would pull over. I would put a 200s High Power in Green/White, some Rect14's in the grill, and whatever else you want. Remember no Siren so your lights need to be very bright for people to notice you and yield.

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Your truck should look exactly like this.....

with some tir3's, impaxx, etc scattered around the sides for intersection warning (mirrors, side windows, etc.)

And of course, change the lighting color

gman021

Dec 8, 2010
CT
Thats not what the first post said. And now I realize that was three months ago and one job ago.

Ya, whelen dual talon is the brightest light on the market so go with that

May 22, 2010
New York City
post was updated to show, also thats your opinion on the talon, the avenger is brighter, and there are others , this has been discussed whats brighter before on this board 100 times...... everyone has there own opinion, but the talon is discontinued for a reason !!!

May 22, 2010
New York City
gman, i totally agree with you , even though others have other opinions, im going to go with a dual green avenger.... you can never go wrong with whelen......

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
So when you say 1 green light are you talking 1 system like a "dual light head" unit or a "single light head" unit ? That really sucks and puts a huge damper on your warning light production.

My suggestion would be...

Front: PowerArc DL-12 Dashlight, freaking bright nice coverage !

Rear: Unknown because I don't know what "towing" package you have.

May 22, 2010
New York City
any single light, a dual head talon or similiar is still 1 light.... just a normal towing hitch..... plus the green avenger is ordered and will be installed next week or after christmas,when the amber lights come in

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.