Light this truck.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
We are going to buy a new KW lowboy tractor and I need some ideas on lighting it.

The only thing for sure is the light bar must be atleast 55" in amber with s/t/t and work lights.

All lights have to be amber or white. Truck also needs to have a arrow stick.

This truck will be in the road alot.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
GPC said:
We are going to buy a new KW lowboy tractor and I need some ideas on lighting it.

The only thing for sure is the light bar must be atleast 55" in amber with s/t/t and work lights.

All lights have to be amber or white. Truck also needs to have a arrow stick.

This truck will be in the road alot.

I highly recommend a 58 inch Tomar Scorpion ALL LED light bar for your application. You're going to want something that will hold up to the punishment of being mounted on a tractor like that.

atomar.com_graphics_970L_page_4.jpg

This bar is all aluminum chassis constructed, and can be configured in a variety of intensity levels and has the Stop/tail/Turn option available. A directional arrow function is built right into the bar as well. Also keep in mind that at the height you will be mounting that bar, you will want something that projects well optically. I've seen many reflector style LED bars perform poorly when mounted at an above normal eye line height as on a tractor truck.

Check it out here: http://tomar.com/products/lightbars/scorpion.htm

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
Your budget is a significant determining factor here.

Halogen/strobe applications can be had used in the price range of 150$ through 500$, or new from 400$ through 800$.

More advanced LED applications (like the one suggested above) can be had for used in the price range of 700$ through 1500$ or new 1000$ through 3000$.

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
I 26 said:
Your budget is a significant determining factor here.

Halogen/strobe applications can be had used in the price range of 150$ through 500$, or new from 400$ through 800$.

More advanced LED applications (like the one suggested above) can be had for used in the price range of 700$ through 1500$ or new 1000$ through 3000$.

Budget is around $3500.

Also we already have one truck that is equipped with a 48" Code 3 defender and six tir 3's in the grill and does well but, I want something differnt this time.

cajunblitz

May 20, 2010
Saint Martin Parish LA
GPC said:
Cajunblitz I like the tomar bar alot.

My main reason for asking for an arrow stick is I have yet to see a bar that has both rear facing work lights and a arrow stick.

Also if this helps this is one of the trucks we are considerring buying. http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2595121

The Tomar Scorpion can be configured the way you want it, with S/T/T, rear LED work lights and still have the directional arrow function available. Look at this .pdf document that shows the different configurations for the 58 inch bar.

http://tomar.com/pdf/Lightbar%20Documentation/970L-Series/970L-5810-Layout.pdf

Scroll down and look at the 3rd rear config; you can fill up the back of the bar with what you need, and the warning LEDs will still provide the arrow functions. With a budget of $3500.00, you could purchase this bar and still have enough left for a separate directional arrow stick if you desire or additional LEDs on the truck.

May 22, 2010
Central WV
The Tomar Scorpion would work great as other have suggested.

Also, the Sound Off ETL5000 58.5" bar would work great. It can be configured with SST lights and work lights, as well as a rear TA. You could also get an UltraLite 8 or 12 as well if you want a separate dedicated TA. With a $3500 budget, you should be able to get the 58.5" ETL5000, an UltraLite 12 TA, and some other secondary lighting for the grill and/or sides of the vehicle.

PM me if you have any questions or if you are interested in either. Good-luck truck shopping :)

zacmtz7

May 21, 2010
Atlanta, GA
A Whelen Freedom will give you an arrow stick and rear warning leds, combined in one bar, but can get a little coinfusing for drivers, especially if you were to have two levels of amber lights blinking. They might wash each oher out depending on flash patterns.

I 26

Sep 9, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
+1 on going with a bar and then an independent directional arrow somewhere else. Too cluttered to have arrow integrated in the bar, especially with amber for primary warning...it'll be too confusing like mentioned above.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.