Lighting Ideas for my 96 explorer

missmedic

Aug 4, 2010
Hello Group,

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer that I have purchased for a POV. I have already made a "undercover" lightbar from Code3 XT3's and XT4's. The two lightbars fit under the roof rack and are very hard to see when not in use. Now, I would like to have something in the taillights and the front corner lights. I have had people tell me not to use strobes due to heat build-up in the Explorer light housing. I have not been able to find a tailight flasher that can be used on a Ford.

I am not trying to find the cheapest....I am trying to find the best for my application.

I am all ears!

Janet

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
A Sound Off ETFB00 Flashback can be used on a Ford with no fear of disengaging the Park/Brake interlock.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I have HAW Strobes in the corner lamps and rear turn signal and back up lamps on my 2000 Explorer. They have been in there for 4 years with zero problems. The wrap around corner lamps provide great intersection warning. I also have 2 split sound off ghost's in the grill, dual avenger on the dash, HLF, split talon on each side quater glass, dual talon in the rear glass, and a whelen arrow with strobe ends up on the roof. I removed my roof rack, but toyed with the idea of mounting lights under the cross bars.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Don't waste your time on HAW LEDs. Why use a light that's only effective during the half the time and relies on being mounted a specific eay or depends on how your reflective housing is used. I've seen plenty other Ford Explorers with HAWs.

Now, if you still fear putting HAW strobes in, you could always do grille lights of some sort, or, get a 10-75 license plate intersection bracket. It basically wraps around your front LP and allows for the mounting of a lighthead to face to the sides (for intersection warning). On the back, you could do a LP bracket above the LP for a pair of LEDs facing rear.

Those are just suggestions if you don't wanna mess with HAWs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.