Lights turn on when called on radio?

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Does anyone remember a system that turned on the rotating lights when a unit was called on the radio, and the officer was out of the car? I remember in the late 60s - early 70s, a local city having this capability.

Dan

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
I remember when the night patrolman in a local small town would be summoned by a red light on a pole that would blink when a call came in. There were several of these scattered around town and when he saw it flashing, he would then need to check in with the telephone operator to get the info about it.

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
the same basic idea was possible with the earlier Motorola VHF systems used on large farms. A certain radio could be encoded from another radio or base, activating (in this case) flashing headlights and truck horn.

The same with rural hospitals near large cities. Each hospital kept an ER radio on a certain frequency, but Ambulances has to dial in a certain series of number on a dial or keypad to open the squelch, allowing the hospital to hear the report meant for them.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
jtf027 said:
the same basic idea was possible with the earlier Motorola VHF systems used on large farms. A certain radio could be encoded from another radio or base, activating (in this case) flashing headlights and truck horn.

The same with rural hospitals near large cities. Each hospital kept an ER radio on a certain frequency, but Ambulances has to dial in a certain series of number on a dial or keypad to open the squelch, allowing the hospital to hear the report meant for them.
I think it worked on the same idea as above. The officer knew he was being called because his lightbar would turn on. By the way, the lightbar was a Sireno bar with 2 Sireno dual sealed beam beacons. The blue glass domes were very dark, creating a less effective signal. The city was Worcester, Massachusetts.

Dan

fyr1075k

May 23, 2010
Hudson Valley New York
It was the motorola "quick call". It mounted on top of the motorola motrac radio head (vhf). My dad had one in his chiefs car. The tone was sent out and it opened up and Viola! Used before pagers came around. Also used on home units where you could have your "plectron" open up garage door, turned on lights, etc. You can see it on you tube.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
The Motorola Quick Call was like the Plectron, a two-tone paging signal that could turn on a beacon, beep the horn, or flash the headlights. The Motorola Syntor radios also had this feature. This was also a feature of the early commercial mobile telephone equipment, before cell phones.

The system jft027 referred to was interruptible tone squelch dialing, where the old telephone dial would interupt a steady squelch tone to open a selective radio receiver. Motorola used a 1500 Hz tone and the ER notification system was called the Hospital Emergency Alert Radio, marketed nationally as the H.E.A.R. system. Other tones were used for selectable law enforcement calling, civil defense, etc.

The system was modified in the last twenty-five years to use dual-tone multi-frequency (DTMF) or Touch-Tone calling.

police-jimmy

May 23, 2010
Netherlands (Europe)
yep, 2 systems : one turnes on a light (or anything electric) upon receiving a tone code.

The second system was the follow up, it used a limited range beeper the sounds upon a radio call(tone) so the receiver can return to the car to answer the radio.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I remember as a kid my best friend's dad was a farm veterinarian. His work truck had an old Aerotron radio telephone, and when he got a call, the horn beeped and the lights flashed. I thought it was pretty cool.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
City of Cleveland had a "recall" system, way back when. I remember being in the 3rd. district parking lot as a child, and the bubble light of an unoccupied '63 Ford began flashing.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
dmathieu said:
By the way, the lightbar was a Sireno bar with 2 Sireno dual sealed beam beacons. The blue glass domes were very dark, creating a less effective signal. The city was Worcester, Massachusetts.
Dan

I have a NOS Sireno 203 with a blue lens.

It was probably these lights they where using and I can agree of that it is very dark blue. Probably the darkest blue lens I have.

Darker than the solid blue Mars Skybolt lens which is also darker than the usual SAE blue.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Columbus Police had their marked cars set up with "recall" until the mid-late 80's. The officer could set it to trip the warning lights or sound the car horn intermittently..

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dustymedic said:
Columbus Police had their marked cars set up with "recall" until the mid-late 80's. The officer could set it to trip the warning lights or sound the car horn intermittently..

What would be the purpose of this?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dmathieu said:
Back then the officers weren't eqiiped with portables, so when they were out of the car, they knew they were being called by dispatch.
Dan

Not that part ...

This---

""The officer could set it to trip the warning lights or sound the car horn intermittently..""

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dustymedic said:

What I mean is this... the post above seems to indicate that the officer is setting a preset time for the lights or horn to activate, say 20 min......

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
Sorry, I'm not reading anything about time. All I'm getting out of the post is the choice to turn on lights, or intermitantly beep horn. That said, I don't believe that there was a timer set by the officer.

Dan

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
"The officer could set it to trip the warning lights or sound the car horn intermittently.."

I was thinking the word intermittently refered to both the horn and the lights... ie you would set the system to just go off from time to time. The word intermittently must refer to the horn beeping off and on. I understand now. One of those things where the printed words can have 2 meanings...

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
I see what you meant. It sounds like when the horn was chosen it acted like there was a flasher in the circuit that beep-beep-beeped the horn, but constant on when the lights were chosen. I remember the lights, but not the horn. Pretty innovative for the times.

Dan

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
dmathieu said:
I see what you meant. It sounds like when the horn was chosen it acted like there was a flasher in the circuit that beep-beep-beeped the horn, but constant on when the lights were chosen. I remember the lights, but not the horn. Pretty innovative for the times.
Dan

I thought the lights and horn just coming on "Intermittently" for no real reason was odd..... :oops:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
JohnMarcson said:
I thought the lights and horn just coming on "Intermittently" for no real reason was odd..... :oops:

Yes. the car horn would "flash". When they first sent the system up, only sergeants had walkies and above had walkies. Even when patrol officers started getting walkies, they were 0.5 or 1 watt UHF units and weren't very reliable in side buildings. Spares were non existent; so if your car's walkie was MIA or broke, you went without. They still had some cars with recall until they went to 800mhz in the early 90's..

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.