Littelfuse contact switchbox PICS ADDED!

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Hello all,

I just got a new (old) lightbar: an Aerotwin wrecker 25RWL from an old towtruck.

That bar came with a switchbox with very little informations on it.

It's about 2" tall by 5" wide by 2" deep. No brand.

-In front are 4 looks to be illuminated rocker switches and an indicator (red) saying PTO. (???)

- On the back is 4 fuses, a ground male pin and a dual-screw terminal saying "Littelfuse 12V 50A" Also from the back side, 2 black wires are coming out of the unit. On screwed on the Littelfuse terminal, the other one was cut from under the truck's dash.

I tried applying power to the screw terminal along with the ground terminal but no result. Nothing happens.

Any ideas? Will try to post pics later tonight.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Its a Towtruck specific switchbox.

PTO is Power Take-Off, which is a gear that protrudes from a transmission to power an external gearbox/pump (in this case, hydraulic pump). The PTO buttun has a solenoid that makes the PTO gear pop out and mesh with the pump to activate it. My truck has a PTO button, but its on the dash, blended in well with a transmission temp guage. Those switch boxes usually have a PTO button, Beacon, Flashers, Work lights High and Work lights low. Upper lightbar work lights and lower wheel lift work lights).

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
@Richard, thanks for the input about the PTO. But how to connect it so I can control the lightbar?

Another thing is: compared to usual AeroDynics I've seen, there is no ground screw on the bar. Only live feeds. I guess the ground was the mounting frame it was bolted on.

@TritonBoulder47, this is exactly it. The switches are fully colored and it appears to be an older model.

They indeed say:

-Flash

-Rotate

-Flood

-Aux.

How do I wire up this guy?

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Ok guys, here are the pictures. Front and back. The truck it was taken out of was 1985 so it's a bit rusty but it looks only cosmetic... and pretty old. All fuses are OK, though.

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_Lightbars_20collection_DSCN0306.jpg

On the back picture here, you can see the middle male pin and the 2 screw pins. One is connected and was like that when removed The other screw contactor had a small red wire connected to. What was it? I have no idea. The small black wire on the bottom right corner of the image was running to I-don't-know-where under the dash and was cut as far as I could.

ai767.photobucket.com_albums_xx311_toon80_Lightbars_20collection_DSCN0307.jpg

Richard, does this looks familiar? Any idea on how to wire back the Wrecker AeroDynic back to this little puppy? You seem to know about that system.

Thanks!

Toon.

stfd717

May 23, 2010
Topeka, KS
The terminals are actually a circuit breaker. It appears to be an aftermarket addition to the box but since it has been rivited to the box it may have come that way from the factory. It looks like there is a missing terminal next to your fuses (Ground) but i cannot be sure about that as I'm not very familiar with this style of box.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/LIT0/812020ST.oap?pt=N0227&ppt=C0172

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
The power out to every light is the blad connector at the bottom of the fuse, theres the ground terminal and one of the big wires behind the pump button is central power, the smaller is the wire to the pump solenoid. That should be everything. It looks like a generic wrecker switch panel, I would imagine it came from Can-Tow. They still make switch panels like that. Ive never seen one just like that before, but just by looking at it all its pretty easy to figure out. Power has to go in somewhere, be it the largest wire, has to go out somewhere, the fuses and grounded somewhere, the frame.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
Thanks Richard P, that's what I figured out after trial'n'error.

Hot wire on the Screw stud, lightbar function on the fuse studs, and the bar ground wire on the power supply. Strange thing is the switches light up when I flip them individually but when I flick more than 1, they operate but stop being lighted. (??) Doesn't matter since it's only for display but kind of strange...

Thanks everybody :)

-Toon

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.