Little help needed. Vintage sheriff car.

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
Hello!

I have a project. Vintage Sheriff car. So this is what I made for now:

81cf398s-960.jpg

And I want you to ask for some help with making it looking more exact, more accurate.

So, what do I need to change or add something?

For now, I have to install ball-mount with antenna like this

af.a.d_cd.net_f6031au_480.jpg

to the rear fender and push-bumper.

Anything else?

Thanks a lot!

Reactions: Skip Goulet

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
I like it!!! :thumbsup: Nothing says Cop more than dog dish hubcaps and a spot light!

It Needs a Spotlight on the driver A pillar or dual spotlights! Some dog dish hubcaps and some red or red & blue lenses wouldn't hurt either. Maybe some Dietz par 46 lights on the pushbumper, oh and Don't worry about the lollipop lights they look fine.

haha I found this video game version of your truck and a matchbox toy!

The CHP GMC Jimmy is owned by one of our very own elights members.

i236464.jpg

Chevrolet_Blazer_K5_Sheriff_Version_1986_V2_1.jpg

imagesCA8Y68EW.jpg

7193546306_50d56d456e_z.jpg

1574.jpg

2245.jpg

116-vi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
JennyCop is heading in the same direction I would for this style vehicle. I like the squared off lollipops. As stated you need a spotlight, possibly steady burn color on the driver side and clear passenger?

Can you do red / blue? That's really what you need to complete the look.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
JohnMarcson said:

...Or at least red/red. I've heard it's easy in Russia to get a blue light permit, do you think you could manage that?

IMO the best option would be to have all amber lights, with a set of blue or red lenses to swap out when you're at a car show or something.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
nerdly_dood said:
...Or at least red/red. I've heard it's easy in Russia to get a blue light permit, do you think you could manage that?

IMO the best option would be to have all amber lights, with a set of blue or red lenses to swap out when you're at a car show or something.

I think in Russia lights make your dome red and blue....

sorry....

but yeah.. at least a set to swap on at shows.

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
JennyCop said:
I like it!!! :thumbsup: Nothing says Cop more than dog dish hubcaps and a spot light!
It Needs a Spotlight on the driver A pillar or dual spotlights! Some dog dish hubcaps and some red or red & blue lenses wouldn't hurt either. Maybe some Dietz par 46 lights on the pushbumper, oh and Don't worry about the lollipop lights they look fine.

haha I found this video game version of your truck and a matchbox toy!

The CHP GMC Jimmy is owned by one of our very own elights members.

Oh, spot light's. Yes, I'm thinking about it, but it's hard to find them. Dog dish hubcaps... I was thinking about trim rings.

Red lenses, already got them, had some problems with delivering in Russia.

Haha, game version. I was told about similarity only after I made my Blazer ))

Yeah, great GMC Jimmy, with old style front, my dream )))

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
JohnMarcson said:
JennyCop is heading in the same direction I would for this style vehicle. I like the squared off lollipops. As stated you need a spotlight, possibly steady burn color on the driver side and clear passenger?

OK, spot light's is first to install.

Red lenses arrived already.

Thank's a lot!!

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
nerdly_dood said:

For now, it's impossible to get the permit for blue lights.

Yes, I was thinking about the same. The lollipops are amber at the other side, but I can't find another pair of amber lenses.

Looks good! Unity has vintage lights available and can ship you the part you need to fit your vehicle.

http://shop.unityusa.com/-Vintage_c_20.html

Also, to level your speaker, you need to remove the mounting bolts and turn the black mounting block 180 degrees (unless, of course, you like it pointed slightly up). City of Louisville (KY) PD took forever for them to figure out what was wrong.... :)

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Aries said:
Oh, spot light's. Yes, I'm thinking about it, but it's hard to find them. Dog dish hubcaps... I was thinking about trim rings.
Red lenses, already got them, had some problems with delivering in Russia.

Haha, game version. I was told about similarity only after I made my Blazer ))

Yeah, great GMC Jimmy, with old style front, my dream )))
Spotlights are easy to find you can use pretty much any of the old chrome metal spotlights as long as the shaft isn't too long. You can buy them on ebay pretty cheap! Any old crown vic spotlight should work, just make sure its the metal spotlight not the modern plastic. What really matters is the mounting bracket and you can get those new from unity.

Unity spotlight bracket for your Blazer is part#27 driver side & 27RH passenger side $42.59 each

27 Installation Kit

27RH Installation Kit

Trim rings are fine but you still need some kind of center caps to be correct, not just plain black wheels you need either the dog dish kind or the kind on the GMC jimmy.

msxEo6q-33GqpgjHfofiA7w.jpg

155129700_-4x4-6-lug-truck-rally-wheel-center-caps-chevy-blazer-.jpg

suburban

Sep 6, 2012
New york
for that year the Visbar was not used it was Aerodynamic BUT if your going old school keep the lollipops and as said ambers to the show red over the driverside blue passenger, flashing headlights, pushbar with flashing lights, search lights on each side, no hubcaps what you have is what was used, the removable cap was white and you do not need the big spring ball antenna. this was the same for Ramcharger's and Broncos. I still remember my Dad's 79 Bronco with flashing headlights before big plastics n strobes he had duel red in our state lolli's were amber n red one color front and back big pushbar alternating red flashers white wagon wheel wheels bf goodrich tires man the old days. But you are pretty much there...

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
Maxim2Eng said:
Looks good! Unity has vintage lights available and can ship you the part you need to fit your vehicle.
Vintage

Also, to level your speaker, you need to remove the mounting bolts and turn the black mounting block 180 degrees (unless, of course, you like it pointed slightly up). City of Louisville (KY) PD took forever for them to figure out what was wrong.... :)

Thank's a lot! Speaker leveling - done!!! )))))

JennyCop said:
Spotlights are easy to find you can use pretty much any of the old chrome metal spotlights as long as the shaft isn't too long. You can buy them on ebay pretty cheap! Any old crown vic spotlight should work, just make sure its the metal spotlight not the modern plastic. What really matters is the mounting bracket and you can get those new from unity.

Unity spotlight bracket for your Blazer is part#27 driver side & 27RH passenger side $42.59 each

27 Installation Kit

27RH Installation Kit

Trim rings are fine but you still need some kind of center caps to be correct, not just plain black wheels you need either the dog dish kind or the kind on the GMC jimmy.

Ok! Mounting bracket, was the biggest problem. Spotlights themselves, I can buy here. We have pretty much CrownVics and Caprice's here in Moscow. )) Thank you a lot! ))

suburban said:
for that year the Visbar was not used it was Aerodynamic BUT if your going old school keep the lollipops and as said ambers to the show red over the driverside blue passenger, flashing headlights, pushbar with flashing lights, search lights on each side, no hubcaps what you have is what was used, the removable cap was white and you do not need the big spring ball antenna. this was the same for Ramcharger's and Broncos. I still remember my Dad's 79 Bronco with flashing headlights before big plastics n strobes he had duel red in our state lolli's were amber n red one color front and back big pushbar alternating red flashers white wagon wheel wheels bf goodrich tires man the old days. But you are pretty much there...

I am thinking about another bar, not so oldschool. Maybe Aerodynic is the best. Also I was thinking about halogen dash light and traffic director in the rear window. Like here:

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Aries said:
Ok! Mounting bracket, was the biggest problem. Spotlights themselves, I can buy here. We have pretty much CrownVics and Caprice's here in Moscow. )) Thank you a lot! ))

I am thinking about another bar, not so oldschool. Maybe Aerodynic is the best. Also I was thinking about halogen dash light and traffic director in the rear window. Like here:

I need a CB radio, so the big spring antenna, was the most oldschool I can think of ))
Your welcome, glad I could help! Your lightbar is fine and is not so " old school" , and could be correct. Many smaller departments had small budgets and recycled their bars until they no longer worked or parts became obsolete. It is not wrong for your Blazer to have a Twin Beaconray/Visibar and not unlikely. Indiana State Police ran Visibars up until about 1993, Chicago Police ran their Mars Skybolt Combo bars up until 1991! San Diego Police ran Twinsonic CTS bars till 1998! I personally think you should keep the oldschool lightbar on the truck, it looks great and stands out! Aerodynics, Streethawks etc.. are much more common on restorations because they are easier to find. Your Blazer will be a bigger hit and a crowd pleaser at the show with the bar you have now. A dash light and a traffic director are fine, but I am thinking it might be a little too much! A common restoration mistake is adding too many lights, or more lights than would have been originally used! Don't over do it! You have to think if the department recycled their old lightbars onto new vehicles and were still using Twin beacon rays, then they probably couldn't add traffic advisers in to their budgets, Just saying. I am just going with the theme here. But it's your Blazer and you could do what you want with it, I am just telling you what would look more exact, more accurate as you requested in your first post.

The whip CB antenna is fine also, yes it is very oldschool, but many agencies ran them for many years, CHP is the most popular to use that style antenna.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
suburban said:

FIRST, It is spelled A-E-R-O-D-Y-N-I-C.

Though the Federal Signal Aerodynic which was introduced in 1977 was a very popular lightbar in the late 70's and throughout the 80's, not every agency ran them. It is not right for you to tell him that the Visibar was not used and that it was an Aerodynic, How would you know? He is not replicating any specific agency or your fathers Bronco. You are going by what you saw growing up in your area and your fathers assigned unit as your basis for what should be correct. You are wrong in so many ways: vehicles come with hubcaps from factory so, no hubcaps is incorrect! Yes they fall off and some departments don't bother to replace them especially on a 4x4 truck. But not every agency that ran Blazers, Broncos or Ram Chargers ran the white Hubcapless wagon wheels with Bf Goodrich tires! Some agencies also didn't have white removable caps on there Blazers, some used solid colors as his is. My Dept ran Yankee bars on our Blazers, back then and I didn't tell him that is what it should have. There were many lightbar options available in that time period as there is now, it was up to the particular agency to choose what they liked or could afford. As I noted in the response I gave him, many agencies ran the visibars well up into the early 90's, so it is still correct on his Blazer. Just the facts!

suburban

Sep 6, 2012
New york
JennyCop said:
FIRST, It is spelled A-E-R-O-D-Y-N-I-C.

Though the Federal Signal Aerodynic which was introduced in 1977 was a very popular lightbar in the late 70's and throughout the 80's, not every agency ran them. It is not right for you to tell him that the Visibar was not used and that it was an Aerodynic, How would you know? He is not replicating any specific agency or your fathers Bronco. You are going by what you saw growing up in your area and your fathers assigned unit as your basis for what should be correct. You are wrong in so many ways: vehicles come with hubcaps from factory so, no hubcaps is incorrect! Yes they fall off and some departments don't bother to replace them especially on a 4x4 truck. But not every agency that ran Blazers, Broncos or Ram Chargers ran the white Hubcapless wagon wheels with Bf Goodrich tires! Some agencies also didn't have white removable caps on there Blazers, some used solid colors as his is. My Dept ran Yankee bars on our Blazers, back then and I didn't tell him that is what it should have. There were many lightbar options available in that time period as there is now, it was up to the particular agency to choose what they liked or could afford. As I noted in the response I gave him, many agencies ran the visibars well up into the early 90's, so it is still correct on his Blazer. Just the facts!
Those year blazers were all removeable caps untill the body style changed and most were a different color that matched the roof with a light color because the unit's number was on the cap, I told him to leave the Visbar on w/lolli's where poeple said take them off and the correct color red over driverside if it was red and blue and that year well 81+ used center caps if they came with dog dish caps they were usually removed at the station garage (liability) some even had the steel wheel painted the color of the truck what he has was very common and correct, I am not going by my childhood either, my family are all PD I worked in the county garage and know what get's done in a rural area limited funds. The old Diplomat's kept hub caps but the trucks removed them. He is on the right track all Dept.'s are different he did a wonderful job and answered a question not to get into a i know you know match with anybody. Its opinions. Be well, Big E

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
JennyCop said:
The whip CB antenna is fine also, yes it is very oldschool, but many agencies ran them for many years, CHP is the most popular to use that style antenna.

Just to add on to what JennyCop said about the antenna: Yes, that style antenna was used for CB radios, but it was also used for VHF Low Band (30-50 MHz) radios which were used by many fire, police, and ems agencies, as well as non-emergency agencies and businesses. I'm guessing that some agencies still use low band for interagency use, especially in rural areas. Nice truck, by the way!

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
For accuracy in your build, there is a formula for cutting the antenna mast to the correct length. The 102" CB length would be too long for a typical VHF low band public safety frequency. If I remember correctly, 45MHZ was approximately 60 inches long Check the formula to be sure

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
Very nice project. You should be proud. Many of us here in the states would be proud to have a project such as yours. :)

I definitely recommend keeping the existing lighting display. It is much more "interesting" to see than lightbars and is perfectly period-correct. The amber colored domes and flashers are not really correct, but it has already been addressed. All red, or red with a little amber, would be the way to go.

As JennyCop said, too much additional lighting would not be correct. If anything, a small dashboard-mounted rotator or some round flashing lights (not amber) in front of the grille would finish it off.

Show us another picture showing the upgrades you have made.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
dmathieu said:
For accuracy in your build, there is a formula for cutting the antenna mast to the correct length. The 102" CB length would be too long for a typical VHF low band public safety frequency. If I remember correctly, 45MHZ was approximately 60 inches long Check the formula to be sure

dmathieu is absolutely correct. VHF low band frequencies allocated for police agencies range from 32.xx MHz to 46.xx MHz (per a frequency allocation table I have from 1989). At 32 MHz, the antenna whip would be 87.75"; at 46 MHz it would be 61" long.

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
Tristar said:
Just to add on to what JennyCop said about the antenna: Yes, that style antenna was used for CB radios, but it was also used for VHF Low Band (30-50 MHz) radios which were used by many fire, police, and ems agencies, as well as non-emergency agencies and businesses. I'm guessing that some agencies still use low band for interagency use, especially in rural areas. Nice truck, by the way!

So as in Russia, LowBand for Fire and EMS, prtially militia of far regions. The biggest problem, it is prohibited for civillian use )) Because the main TV channel is still working on 50 MHz )))

But I need this antenna for my CB radio so I'll use it as is. I have a Motorola Mocat 2000

ad.a.d_cd.net_9357au_480.jpg

and I think it reminds police motorola radios of that time ))

flahotrod said:
Very nice project. You should be proud. Many of us here in the states would be proud to have a project such as yours. :)

I definitely recommend keeping the existing lighting display. It is much more "interesting" to see than lightbars and is perfectly period-correct. The amber colored domes and flashers are not really correct, but it has already been addressed. All red, or red with a little amber, would be the way to go.

As JennyCop said, too much additional lighting would not be correct. If anything, a small dashboard-mounted rotator or some round flashing lights (not amber) in front of the grille would finish it off.

Show us another picture showing the upgrades you have made.

Thank you very much! I'm flattered.

As soon as I add something, I'll show some pictures.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Is the Blazer a diesel? Those are so hard to find these days! If it is 4x4, dog dish caps will not work unless you cut the center out for the hubs in the front. Best to stick with the factory center caps.

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
HILO said:
Is the Blazer a diesel? Those are so hard to find these days! If it is 4x4, dog dish caps will not work unless you cut the center out for the hubs in the front. Best to stick with the factory center caps.

Yes. It's 6.2 Detroit Diesel. It is much, much more hard to find in Russia )) It is 4x4.

PS

Finally I've chaneged the domes. ))

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
Hello everyone!

Another portion of help needed.

I fulfilled my dream and bought a real fullsize car. 

Couple of questions about it according police theme.

1. Was there any 1975 Chrysler Newport on police service?

2. The car is green, I like it, so i desided to add white to green and the question is, what state used gree-white colour scheme?

This is it

ag_a.d_cd.net_a54d0b4s_960.jpg

but I'm making it to look something like this

ae_a.d_cd.net_873bab4s_960.jpg

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
The 1979-1981 R-Body Newport seemed to be more popular with police fleets as opposed to its earlier counterpart.

The only photos that I've seen of the 1974-1978 Newport are from this CHP restoration. Your Blazer turned out great, by the way!

ai1087.photobucket.com_albums_j461_SteamMcQueen_P1_P2_P3_P4_chrysler005.jpg

awww.gtlogistics.co.nz_media_wysiwyg_gallery_auto_general_Chrysler_Newport_1977_policecar_fs.jpg
Why didn't the owner of this Newport try to find a period correct bar like an AeroDynic or TwinSonic? A StreetHawk looks dumb on that car. The rest is fine, just get a better suited lightbar.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Why didn't the owner of this Newport try to find a period correct bar like an AeroDynic or TwinSonic? A StreetHawk looks dumb on that car. The rest is fine, just get a better suited lightbar.
My guess is they really don't know any better. The blue flasher on that Hawg is on the driver side as well.....

Reactions: denko3

Aries

Nov 7, 2012
Ukraine
The 1979-1981 R-Body Newport seemed to be more popular with police fleets as opposed to its earlier counterpart.

The only photos that I've seen of the 1974-1978 Newport are from this CHP restoration. Your Blazer turned out great, by the way!

ai1087.photobucket.com_albums_j461_SteamMcQueen_P1_P2_P3_P4_chrysler005.jpg

awww.gtlogistics.co.nz_media_wysiwyg_gallery_auto_general_Chrysler_Newport_1977_policecar_fs.jpg

Thank you, but yeah, I saw this only one replica. I thought somebody knew about real patrol cars. )) And thank you for Blazer. ))

PS

And what about colour. Green-White. What state or city used it?

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
I don't recall many agencies using a green/white combo like that. I know that the San Diego Sheriff did at one point, though their green was a brighter shade.

aupload.wikimedia.org_wikipedia_en_a_a8_Dep._M._Tally_in_green_and_white.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgrimmius

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.