Little Light, Big Score. Beacon Ray Model 16 NOS

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
I finally got a Model 16, NOS no less. It was an eBay score and it has definitely never been used. I have not seen many Model 16s and definitely fewer as the Beacon Ray rather than the Visilite. 

I did a 20 minute spit and polish, swapped out the used looking red dome for an NOS clear one and a red bulb and it came out pretty nice.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Nice score!  From what I gather, the 16 was never a popular item.  It went into production around 1982, likely as a replacement for the discontinued 15 Junior Beacon Ray, but was dropped from production around 1988.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Dingo

May 30, 2012
usa, maine
Very cool. Love the clear dome on that. Only area I've ever seen them used is around the outskirts of Boston on what are now parade trucks.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
Very nice find Jeff!  I have always liked the Model 16 / Visilight.  I like them with the Beacon ray tag better though.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I had been watching it but just wasn't sure if I should pull the trigger. Glad someone here got it and can appreciate it. Nice find indeed!

May 21, 2010
Wilkes-Barre, Pa
It doesn't put out a ton of light, it rotates pretty fast so that helps. Its kinda like the Jr Beacon Ray's middle cousin. A bit too big as tailboard lights but too small as main warning, especially now knowing this was a mid 80s light. In 10 years or more of collecting I only saw about a dozen total on the market.

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I could easily see this light as a signal or danger light in a plant. I have seen lights like these used where 50 Tons scissor lifts were in operation. A "Keep Clear" beacon. They were either Vitalites or Commanders or these. 

You have a real beauty here! Any color would be realllllly nice either. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.