Look what I found at the city shop

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
So I was at our city shop waiting for my cruiser to get done, when I stumbled on to this, a Federal Signal Twin Sonic 12. I asked the shop manager what the story was on it, and he said it's been collecting dust for over 20 years. I asked him if I could have it and he said sure. I took it home and cleaned it up. The red dome came out really nice, but the blue one didn't have quite the shine. I also tried to power it on, but only the lights turn on but they don't spin. Here are some pictures.

After:

I will eventually getting around to cleaning the inside. It will be put in my collection. Hey can't beat free. Bonus it has the original mounting feet and gutter mounts.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
The SAE approval says 1971 and the name of Federal is Federal Sign & Signal Corp.
They changed from that name in December 1975 to Federal Signal Corp.

Michael

Jul 14, 2014
NV
That's a great find. As Mars said, the blue domes are getting hard to find (in good condition anyway). There should be a tag on the motor, that will be very close to the build date.
On my San Diego FD CTS, it took a little bit of break clean to get the rotators to spin due to the dust and grime that had build up.

Reactions: BLUELIGHT

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Probably needs a good lubing and the grounds are probably bad. If you need the motor done let me know.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Free is a great price! As for it's build date, the closest you may get will be the motor. Take a look at the motor, it may have a decal or ink stamping. Decals will have a month and year clearly marked, but if it a series I motor, it is more likely to have an ink stamp. If there is a date code it will be one letter and one number. Let us know what you find.

May 16, 2010
Torrington, WY
Free is a great price! As for it's build date, the closest you may get will be the motor. Take a look at the motor, it may have a decal or ink stamping. Decals will have a month and year clearly marked, but if it a series I motor, it is more likely to have an ink stamp. If there is a date code it will be one letter and one number. Let us know what you find.
Ok perfect I'll take a picture and post it this weekend.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Finding this type of stuff is always neat.
The last Twin I was able to save came off a 3rd line pumper that was getting put out to pasture a few years back. I was able to save the TS off that engine before it got tossed in the dumpster.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.